• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catsfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Ft Wayne
    You could look into finding parts to build a palmetto state armory. I see their lower in the classifieds everyone in a while, then all you need is one of their rifle build kits and your set.

This is the way to go! I built one this spring (never owned one prior). By building your own, you learn quite a bit about function along w/ the assembly/tear down. Including upper assembly, parts kit + stock/buffer, shipping, transfers, etc. (everything except optics)... I have $650 in it!! Functions flawlessly.... even fed it some steel cased Wolf ammo just to see.

+1,000 for Palmetto State Armory!

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I recently purchased my first AR. After doing my research I went went with an LMT Defender 16. It's a basic DI AR, which is what I wanted. Fit and finish seems to be top notch as well. I thought it was reasonably priced.

dswilson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Shelby County
    Bradis is g2g. Ive only been in there a few times since i am pretty far away but Every time i've been offered help multiple times. In fact I asked Mark a question about a rifle they didn't have and I had no intention of buying and he was more than happy to answer me. I picked up my PSA M4 nib at Plainfield Shooting Supplies back in april for $679. They were great to deal with as well, so much i left with a SIG as well. i am more than happy with the PSA no hiccups at all so far.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    I'm looking into getting my first AR as well, and making it a Doublestar. Speaking of which... anybody want to donate to a local cause? It's "This guy thats posting needs money to buy his first AR". Anyone ...Anyone? :spend:

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    I forget how much they were, but Smith and Wesson has some very nice Mag-pul enhanced carbines at Bradis that are VERY nice.

My co-worker has one, and he paid less than the one I made just like it. And he got it from Gander Mountain

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I just got my first ar as well. It's a S&W. Didn't come with all the Magpul furniture, but now it has it. I got to go out and shoot it this weekend for the first time and man is it sweet. I did put a spikes buffer tube with the st-t2 buffer on it. Next on the list are some optics.

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    I ordered a spikes tactical in may and am still waiting. I couldn't find a bad review on them and everything is mil spec and chrome lined where it needs to be. I upgraded the barrel and only paid $934 shipped(still have to pay transfer fee when it arrives). Not sure how anyone here feels about spikes but I am looking forward to its arrival.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Based on what I've seen I probably won't find a good AR, at least a new one, for less than $900 at the very least, but I could work with that. I'm willing to go to a grand or slightly more than that.

You could do some looking around on the link (there are quite a few people on here that have built PSA rifles from bits and pieces to ordering everything at once). The 14.7" hammer forged kit and the 16" M4a1 kits are pretty high on my list for my next build. I went with the mock dissipator rifle kit and had around $800 (maybe slightly more with shipping and transfer fee for the lower). Their standard lowers are back in stock @ $79.95. They've got several rifle kits in stock for $629.95. Add in MOE lower kit and the Magpul rear sight, you'll still be rocking a very solid rifle for under $900.

Rifle Kits - AR-15

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    You could do some looking around on the link (there are quite a few people on here that have built PSA rifles from bits and pieces to ordering everything at once). The 14.7" hammer forged kit and the 16" M4a1 kits are pretty high on my list for my next build. I went with the mock dissipator rifle kit and had around $800 (maybe slightly more with shipping and transfer fee for the lower). Their standard lowers are back in stock @ $79.95. They've got several rifle kits in stock for $629.95. Add in MOE lower kit and the Magpul rear sight, you'll still be rocking a very solid rifle for under $900.

Rifle Kits - AR-15

I want to build my own rifle so it will be "my rifle" but I'm not sure if I know enough to actually build one. How much knowledge is required to DIY?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I built my lower while watching a video on Youtube. It took maybe 45 minutes because I stopped once to see what my dog was doing. I picked up maybe $15 worth of tools to do the build (only because I couldn't find the proper size punches in my tool box). Building the lower is something that doesn't really require much skill or knowledge.

Plenty of Youtube videos out there and some decent guides.

I used the ar15.com guide and just let one of the Youtube videos play.

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11011/learn/

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I built my lower while watching a video on Youtube. It took maybe 45 minutes because I stopped once to see what my dog was doing. I picked up maybe $15 worth of tools to do the build (only because I couldn't find the proper size punches in my tool box). Building the lower is something that doesn't really require much skill or knowledge.

Plenty of Youtube videos out there and some decent guides.

I used the ar15.com guide and just let one of the Youtube videos play.

:: Guides

GunTech : Assembling Lower Receiver - Section 7 - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

What about the upper? And are the various brans of uppers and lowers compatible with each other? My last and probably most important question to you is, what kind of dog do you have? :D

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    When I bought my rifle kit, I went with this one 16'' Hammer Forged Mid-Length Mock Dissipator Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15, it comes ready to pin to the lower once the lower is completed. I had them put the Magpul rear sight on it when I ordered the rifle kit. Some uppers and lowers will be perfect fits and some will be a bit tight...some will be a bit loose. That won't really matter much though.

Dog is a chow/lab mixed. Next dog will be an upgrade to a Cane Corso or a Johnson type American Bulldog.

Top Bottom