• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I'm also new to the AR-15 owners world... I'm looking at the DoubleStar's. Aluminum construction, and all. For around $575. Or sometimes less on classified's. If you're on a strict budget, I suggest looking into them. :)

I love my Double Star!

I've had Colt snobs turn up their nose to my Double Star, but every time I ask them to specifically tell what makes theirs better- more durable- accurate... they get real quiet. My friend has a high-end, expensive Daniel's Defense... he pointed out to me that my Double Star had a better stock trigger, and that we both shot it more accurately than his Daniel's. I think DS is very under-rated, only because people aren't as familiar with them. When I get another AR, it will also be a DS. Love them!

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    When I bought my rifle kit, I went with this one 16'' Hammer Forged Mid-Length Mock Dissipator Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15, it comes ready to pin to the lower once the lower is completed. I had them put the Magpul rear sight on it when I ordered the rifle kit. Some uppers and lowers will be perfect fits and some will be a bit tight...some will be a bit loose. That won't really matter much though.

Dog is a chow/lab mixed. Next dog will be an upgrade to a Cane Corso or a Johnson type American Bulldog.

We got two labradors up at the house, a chocolate and a white one, and boy do they love fetch and the water, and any combination of the two!

What is it about Magpul that makes it so appealing?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    We got two labradors up at the house, a chocolate and a white one, and boy do they love fetch and the water, and any combination of the two!

Quality products at a decent price. Just gotta make sure it's the real deal Magpul stuff and not cheaper chinese made PTS airsoft knockoffs.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

Our dog is fairly easy to train (when she wants) like a lab and extremely stubborn when she wants like a Chow. This one is a Yellow Lab mix. Our last one was a Black Lab/Chow mix. Both were rescue dogs (first chow/lab mix came from someone giving the pups away).

I had plans of putting an Aimpoint Pro on the rifle and wanted a cheap backup sight. The Magpul MOE furniture is comfortable and pretty cheap. I had problems with G.I. mags (feed lips got banged around and are slightly bent) and I found someone selling new Pmags for $10. Didn't have an issue with any of the Magpul stuff but I'm definitely not one of the fanbois.

My AR pistol doesn't have anything Magpul on it and it probably won't even when it becomes an SBR. Next build might end up with Magpul furniture. There are some nice flashlight mounts and some other accessories that fit the MOE furniture without much hassle.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I love my Double Star!

I've had Colt snobs turn up their nose to my Double Star, but every time I ask them to specifically tell what makes theirs better- more durable- accurate... they get real quiet. My friend has a high-end, expensive Daniel's Defense... he pointed out to me that my Double Star had a better stock trigger, and that we both shot it more accurately than his Daniel's. I think DS is very under-rated, only because people aren't as familiar with them. When I get another AR, it will also be a DS. Love them!

I've looked into DS and a few others that turn the snobs off. As long as the specs are there, I don't see a single problem with building (or buying) a quality rifle for less money. I can understand the Daniel Defense, Noveske, etc. love but not everyone wants to spend that kind of money on a rifle when the specs are the same or very similar.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Now I'm looking at the AR builder, and can someone explain to me what it means when the reciever is labled as "stripped"
    It means it's only the reciever itself. No parts. You need to install a lower parts kit commonly referred to as an "LPK' and a buffer assembly with a buttstock.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Now I'm looking at the AR builder, and can someone explain to me what it means when the reciever is labled as "stripped"

A stripped receiver is simply the bare receiver. On a lower, you've got to install the lower parts kit (trigger group, detents and springs, grip, and buffer assembly). Upper, you've got the barrel assembly, forward assist, and BCG.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    So if I get an upper/lower that's not stripped it comes with all the internal parts already installed? If I have this understood right.

Yep, if you get a complete upper, it will come ready to install onto the lower. If you get a complete lower, it'll be ready to have the upper installed.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Ok I gotcha.
    No problem.

One thing to watch out for also on some complete uppers is to make sure it includes a "BCG" (Bolt Carrier Group) and "CH" (Charging Handle)

Sometimes they don't include those and it will be an option or you have to buy them separately. They usually state whether it's included or not.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I've looked into DS and a few others that turn the snobs off. As long as the specs are there, I don't see a single problem with building (or buying) a quality rifle for less money. I can understand the Daniel Defense, Noveske, etc. love but not everyone wants to spend that kind of money on a rifle when the specs are the same or very similar.

While I'm not inclined to disagree in totality, I just took a look at the DS site, I'm seeing this-> Doublestar Corp. | Be Victorious. Not what I would call a screaming deal especially when the BCG specs are not mentioned, and a milspec barrel is +$65. Now finding a used one might be worth it if the price was low enough to make upgrades affodable.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    While I'm not inclined to disagree in totality, I just took a look at the DS site, I'm seeing this-> Doublestar Corp. | Be Victorious. Not what I would call a screaming deal especially when the BCG specs are not mentioned, and a milspec barrel is +$65. Now finding a used one might be worth it if the price was low enough to make upgrades affodable.

That is why I said as long as the specs are there. If rifles spec out the same, you're paying for roll marks and a name.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Ok I have another question for you AR experts. Will I have problems if I have an upper reciever chambered for .223 Remington rounds, and a barrel chambered for 5.56mm NATO rounds? I've heard different things about how compatible the .223 and 5.56 really are in a rifle chambered for different rounds.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'm far from an expert (I've only got 2 ARs, one rifle and one pistol). If you were to order a stripped upper, it isn't chambered for .223 or 5.56 (you can chamber it in a pretty big variety of rounds). The .458 SOCOM that my friend has was a barrel swap in a rifle that was previously chambered for 5.56 (with a slightly enlarged ejection port).

When you're looking at .223 vs. 5.56, if you plan on shooting both rounds...go with the 5.56. From everything I've read, you can shoot .223 through a 5.56 but it isn't recommended.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I'm far from an expert (I've only got 2 ARs, one rifle and one pistol). If you were to order a stripped upper, it isn't chambered for .223 or 5.56 (you can chamber it in a pretty big variety of rounds). The .458 SOCOM that my friend has was a barrel swap in a rifle that was previously chambered for 5.56 (with a slightly enlarged ejection port).

When you're looking at .223 vs. 5.56, if you plan on shooting both rounds...go with the 5.56. From everything I've read, you can shoot .223 through a 5.56 but it isn't recommended.

So you're saying I can pick any upper I want and put a barrel on it that's chambered for say, .22LR rounds and it will function properly?

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    So you're saying I can pick any upper I want and put a barrel on it that's chambered for say, .22LR rounds and it will function properly?

Pretty sure you can even just swap out the BCG (bolt carrier group) for a .22lr conversion unit in a 5.56 barrel. Or yes, just swap out the entire upper for a .22lr one.

I built a PSA kit, watch a few videos on assembling a lower on youtube, it will all make a lot more sense after that.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside

You can also use a .223 barrel and half-assedly shoot .22LR (not that accurately) with some of the better conversion kits out there it'll function fairly reliably and then you can swap it to .223 with a bolt carrier group change.

Top Bottom