• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Chris Bartocci says it's not really necessary. I'll side with him in the absence of my own experience.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Some highly regarded BCGs have no staking. Staking or not isn't a measure of quality.

FA vs SA carrier weight isn't a measure of quality, either. JP LMOS carriers are lighter-- are they crap?

And with the proper (small diameter) firing pin, is the lack of shrouding really a major problem?

Sure, a premium BCG is worth the modest upgrade price, but the examples you cite hardly make the Ruger BCG "garbage."

Sorry man, it's cost cut hot garbage IMHO.

Using the firing pin to cock the hammer is just stupid. Why in the heck would they do that when there's a shrouded design that uses the carrier. Un-shrouded BCG's are just a dumb design. No thanks. This is a prime example of cost cutting and why you spend the extra $150 for a Colt 6920.

Regarding some premium BCG's lack of staking, I'd assume you're referring to a Youngs BCG. That's a premium BCG. And I still wouldn't trust it. They did some testing and said it was good. However, there's reports of the bolts backing out in training classes when guns are run hard. People staked them after, and they were fine after staking. The lack of decent staking on the Ruger is just flat out manufacturing to a cheap price point and highlights their junk BCG design. They aren’t Young’s, and these aren’t premium top of the line BCGs, so I don’t think that comparison is valid.

Comparing a JP system to this Ruger is laughable at best. JP has done so much to finely tune their systems. This Ruger is just doing non full mass for cost cutting. I wouldn't use full mass vs. non full mass as a hard and fast decision making rule. However, in this case, it's just an indicator of cost cutting and a POS component.

Last edited:

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Please note, the referenced JP carrier is a competition carrier. OP is asking about fighting carbines.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Sorry man, it's cost cut hot garbage IMHO.

Using the firing pin to cock the hammer is just stupid. Why in the heck would they do that when there's a shrouded design that uses the carrier. Un-shrouded BCG's are just a dumb design. No thanks. This is a prime example of cost cutting and why you spend the extra $150 for a Colt 6920.

Regarding some premium BCG's lack of staking, I'd assume you're referring to a Youngs BCG. That's a premium BCG. And I still wouldn't trust it. They did some testing and said it was good. However, there's reports of the bolts backing out in training classes when guns are run hard. People staked them after, and they were fine after staking. The lack of decent staking on the Ruger is just flat out manufacturing to a cheap price point and highlights their junk BCG design.

Comparing a JP system to this Ruger is laughable at best. JP has done so much to finely tune their systems. This Ruger is just doing non full mass for cost cutting. I wouldn't use full mass vs. non full mass as a hard and fast decision making rule. However, in this case, it's just an indicator of cost cutting and a POS component.

Fair enough.

My understanding is that unshrouded FP designs originated in the 70s not as a cost cutting measure, but as a workaround for unintentional FA that Colt had to deal with. ATF and all frowning upon FA for a non NFA gun.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Fair enough.

My understanding is that unshrouded FP designs originated in the 70s not as a cost cutting measure, but as a workaround for unintentional FA that Colt had to deal with. ATF and all frowning upon FA for a non NFA gun.

Yup. Back then, a FA BCG was frowned upon because of the NFA. Colt did all kinds of wonky things, like unshrouded firing pins, enlarged trigger pins and trigger pin holes in receivers, etc... to make it even more difficult to convert to FA because of the fear of the NFA.

Some of those pre ban Colts are pretty cool from a historical legislative perspective. All kinds of crazy stuff done as work arounds to appease the .gov and do workarounds to get ARs to civilians.

These days, there is just no reason for a manufacturer to produce this kind of garbage since it’s completely 100% legal to produce a standard BCG. There’s just no reason for an unshrouded firing pin other than cost cutting, lack of knowledge, or just flat out laziness on the manufacturers part.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Does my new Ruger MPR contain these deficiencies mentioned? I have not shot it yet, and am new to the platform. I havn't even taken it down for inspection yet.

Yes. The Ruger AR-556 MPR is what we are discussing.

The rifle has some known deficiencies. But you expect that from a $5-600 AR. IMHO, buy a Toolcraft or PSA Premium mil spec BCG and keep it on hand as it’s the most likely failure point and a quality BCG is super cheap right now. Everything else, fix as it fails (if anything does). Shoot the heck out of it and enjoy. If you shoot the snot out of it, you’ll find the parts that need replacing. The AR platform is awesome because you can swap components so easily.

Next one you buy, get a Colt 6920 or something mil spec or better. You can pick up 6920s for $750-800 new and they’re mil-spec. Well worth the extra couple hundred.

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok I watched the meltdown videos on the first page. Dang that constant full auto certainly heats things up. So one video was an M&P sport ll and the other was a PSA Freedom. The failures lead me to wonder what is the difference between the M&P gas tube and the PSA gas tube? Obviously it takes a ton of heat abuse, so who sells a gas tube that will take the abuse?

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    Some highly regarded BCGs have no staking. Staking or not isn't a measure of quality.
    FA vs SA carrier weight isn't a measure of quality, either. JP LMOS carriers are lighter-- are they crap?

And with the proper (small diameter) firing pin, is the lack of shrouding really a major problem?

Sure, a premium BCG is worth the modest upgrade price, but the examples you cite hardly make the Ruger BCG "garbage."

No, the Ruger AR556 bolt carrier group is not garbage. Yes, if I had the choice, I would prefer a full auto bolt carrier group to the lighter Colt SP1 bolt carrier that Ruger uses. But the Ruger AR556 BCG works perfectly well IME. I own a Ruger AR556 and also a Colt LE6920.

The staking of the gas key on the Ruger bolt carrier leaves something to be desired, it is true. If this bothers you, take a punch and stake the gas key nuts better. As for the unshrouded firing pin, there is the potential that this could result in deformation of the firing pin retaining pin or peening of the firing pin collar. I have heard a few accounts of this happening that sounded credible so I accept it as a possibility. But I have quite a few rounds through my AR556 now, and not only has it functioned perfectly, I check the firing pin retaining pin for deformation and the firing pin and hammer for peening every time I clean it, and there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that either have occurred.

And if they had, so what? Firing pin retaining pins are simple cotter pins and are very cheap. I carry a couple with me in the pistol grip of my carbines all the time. And firing pins are also pretty inexpensive so you could carry an extra if you are OCD. I am quite confident that Ruger would replace a firing pin free of charge if it became severely deformed. You could buy a whole lot of firing pins and firing pins retaining pins for a fraction of the cost of throwing your bolt carrier group away and buying a new one.

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    Hello everyone. Thought this would be a good place to post this. I just recently purchased a Bushmaster (not sure the model at this moment) today. Im super excited as it is my very first AR15 purchase. I was wondering if anybody in southern indiana was willing to take time to meet and greet and give me some pointers as to help me better understand the rifle systems, changing out different parts correctly and other odd and ends. I am in scott county and do not know too many people with an AR15 rifle to just give me a rundown. So i thought id get on INGO and see what the people here have to say.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Hey Hodge, congratulations! ARs are super popular for a reason-- they are excellent rifles.

Until a helpful INGOer pops up with an offer, I'd recommend you hit YouTube, as there are many excellent videos on there about ARs. More than you can count.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    You might look for a class in your area. A while back I was told about a class in Feb in Bedford. I wasn't able to attend so I don't know what all was covered. Brad69 was the member that told me about it.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I would be happy to help you out in AR knowledge, my specialty is in shooting the carbine not working on them. I can explain how they work and get you set up with a good zero and some simple drills.
    This would require a range when were can actually shoot Dave’s gun shop is about 100 miles from you we could zero and work on some stuff to get you up to speed to attend a carbine course. I will buy you lunch and pay for the range fee you will need about 200 rounds or more of training ammo no Tula crap!

Shoot me a PM and I will make time to help you out!

If you wanna attend this event.
    I suggest you stay in in a hotel it’s quite draining to be on the range all day and then drive home. You have plenty of lead time to save $$ I understand budgets are tight.
    Look though the tasks taught and beware the instructor will be “nad63” aka “Nigel” he is kinda “different” in a good way I think?

Here is the link for the next carbine course
    https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2019-oct-12-13-bedford-in/

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm trying to decide if I should buy the tools to assemble an AR or just pay someone to assemble the lower. Also I don't know if I want to just buy a complete upper or buy all the parts to do a full build. Never built an AR before so I' m a tad out of my element here

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    I'm trying to decide if I should buy the tools to assemble an AR or just pay someone to assemble the lower. Also I don't know if I want to just buy a complete upper or buy all the parts to do a full build. Never built an AR before so I' m a tad out of my element here
    For the lower, if you only want a great trigger and the rest stock- buy a complete lower and change the trigger. When you factor in labor and whatnot, I don't see you being out money that way.

If you want special receiver pins and bolt catch and safety that might be different, though the only hard thing on a lower is really the bolt catch.

I'll pass on giving upper advice since I just broke my own build lol. Or maybe just say learn a lot and/or buy a complete upper before you DIY. This wasn't my first or even third upper..

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I like the build from the ground up. I get to pick the grip, stock, trigger, and controls I like. Nothing wrong with a2 pats, just my preference. Uppers are the same, there is an abundance of parts ot the, you can really make it your own.

My personal exemption would BW a solid factory build from dd, lmt, bcm, f1. It saves the hassle and you know you're getting a solid rifle.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well I had a lower about 2yrs ago and ended up selling it because I lost interest in building it. Then last year, I picked up another lower and parts kit. So now I figure why not do something with it. So now the only question is buy to tools or pay someone. I had someone through work lined out to do it (for free) but now he just doesn't have time.

Top Bottom