• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I'm often surprised by what people will tolerate. I'd have dumped that (and have) as fast as I could if it couldn't be fixed.

Went through FOUR (yes, 4) NEW (at that time) Ruger mini-14/30 platform rifles back in the late 90s. None were worth 2 cents. Two were returned to the store (and they took them, that tells you how bad they were). The other two were sold with full disclosure. Didn't meet any of my standards for reliability or accuracy. If it doesn't go "bang" darn near every time you pull the trigger, what's the point? Went to the AR platform and have never looked back.

In fairness, I've heard Ruger has improved the mini platform since then. Too little too late for me. Never again. Too bad, because I like Ruger and really wanted to like that platform, but could not get there.

I guess it's the same as folks that buy guns and don't shoot them. Or those who buy historic firearms and just look at them. It's all in what you want in a firearm. Some things are just meant to be fun. I have my battle rifles and handguns (ar15 and my m9) those I expect 100% reliability. But something about that mini 30 is just fun. Which is something I enjoy about my hobby, fun.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I guess it's the same as folks that buy guns and don't shoot them. Or those who buy historic firearms and just look at them. It's all in what you want in a firearm. Some things are just meant to be fun. I have my battle rifles and handguns (ar15 and my m9) those I expect 100% reliability. But something about that mini 30 is just fun. Which is something I enjoy about my hobby, fun.

Yep, that's true. Sometimes it's just a fun gun or something for the collection.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've owned 3 mini-14s over the years and I've always really wanted to like them. But all 3 were unreliable, and inaccurate - Especially compared to any mid-grade modern AR15.

And now that I think about it, I've had the same experience with M1 Carbines. I've owned a few, but never gotten one to work reliably.

Hard to beat an AR15 in 556, in my experience.

if only the Mini would’ve been unreliable during the Miama Dade shootout of 1986, maybe some agents would still be alive.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    if only the Mini would’ve been unreliable during the Miama Dade shootout of 1986, maybe some agents would still be alive.

I have not had a single malfunction using brass, boxer primed ammo. I just shoot the snot out of tula. Racking the rifle and spitting out 10% of $.23 ammo is still a lot cheaper than paying almost $1/round... and just as fun.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I've owned 3 mini-14s over the years and I've always really wanted to like them. But all 3 were unreliable, and inaccurate - Especially compared to any mid-grade modern AR15.

And now that I think about it, I've had the same experience with M1 Carbines. I've owned a few, but never gotten one to work reliably.

Hard to beat an AR15 in 556, in my experience.

I must be missing something ........The Mini always functioned flawlessly for these guys .......
    They were even able to squeeze out 50 rounds from a 20 round mag ... View attachment 75430

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I have not had a single malfunction using brass, boxer primed ammo. I just shoot the snot out of tula. Racking the rifle and spitting out 10% of $.23 ammo is still a lot cheaper than paying almost $1/round... and just as fun.

I still have 2 myself ........I acquired one from a batch that was being replaced ( with I think with Rock River AR`s ) by Johnson County Sheriff. It has ran flawlessly for me ( a few 1000 down the tube ) Not sure if it was" broke in" ?
    Never heard of the Mini`s needing a break in period , and have read the horror stories of many about reliability issues , but this one has served me well thus far .( As a Fun Gun ) Probably not the first one I would grab if a need arose , but wouldn`t feel uneasy if it was the only gun I had . It`s a 196 series ( pencil barrel) if it matters . and I do not own any aftermarket mags for it .

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I still have 2 myself ........I acquired one from a batch that was being replaced ( with I think with Rock River AR`s ) by Johnson County Sheriff. It has ran flawlessly for me ( a few 1000 down the tube ) Not sure if it was" broke in" ?
    Never heard of the Mini`s needing a break in period , and have read the horror stories of many about reliability issues , but this one has served me well thus far .( As a Fun Gun ) Probably not the first one I would grab if a need arose , but wouldn`t feel uneasy if it was the only gun I had . It`s a 196 series ( pencil barrel) if it matters . and I do not own any aftermarket mags for it .

There's a big difference between the mini 14 and 30. The issue with the 30s is every one wants to run steel 7.62x39 through it, when the rifle was designed around the softer boxer primer. I haven't heard any serious dependability issues with the 14s

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Mine were all 14s. If you have a reilable one, that's great. I liked the handiness of the form factor.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    AR-15 magazine just did a review on the dog tread. Stainless steel barrel, mid length gas, flip up sights, nice handguard. All for under a grand. I believe all 3 ammo that was tested all averaged under 1MOA for 5 shot groups. If I was buying a sub $1,000 AR that’s what I would be looking at.

Good luck

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    While 'Reliable' & Price often have a direct connection, inexpensive & reliable aren't mutually exclusive.

It's often a question of what ammo you run, AR clones are often designed to run a specific charge, pressure & bullet.
    When a lesser priced rifle is tuned to run a narrow range of ammo, it often does a very good job running that ammo.
    The price goes up when you start with gas regulators to run different gas pressures, custom chamber ramps to run hollow or soft points, custom buffers & springs, etc.

Keep in mind that stuff mentioned is proprietary and keeps interchangeably low, but that usually isn't a concern outside of an armory firearm since the factory/aftermarket can supply replacement parts.
    If your particular rifle has few or no failures with a specific load/cartridge type, then you have found 'Reliable'.

It's completely a personal choice,
    I load my rounds with a specific ballistic coefficient (BC), weight & muzzle velocity so they shoot directly on specific ballistic tables.
    This allows me to use range compensating sights/optics (bullet drop compensation) and have the bullet strike directly on the sights/optics.
    I find this more 'Reliable' than trying to work up a ballistic table for each round in each firearm.
    A first round strike is always better than 'Spray & Pray', even if the ammo isn't the latest/greatest 'Tacti-Cool' cartridge...

So your round isn't traveling at 3,400 FPS when it leaves the muzzle,
    Big deal when it hits the target first round and dead on the mark for range via the sights...

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    If you are concerned of the possible zombie apocalypse that you described , I personally would feel some comfort in having a weapon that would digest just about any type ammo you could find for it ,
    Not sure I would feel as confident with one that was too particular and only functioned with the "perfect" load .......
    My :twocents: , keep your AR , find out what it likes ..........but get that AK you talked about .

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    While 'Reliable' & Price often have a direct connection, inexpensive & reliable aren't mutually exclusive.

It's often a question of what ammo you run, AR clones are often designed to run a specific charge, pressure & bullet.
    When a lesser priced rifle is tuned to run a narrow range of ammo, it often does a very good job running that ammo.
    The price goes up when you start with gas regulators to run different gas pressures, custom chamber ramps to run hollow or soft points, custom buffers & springs, etc.

Keep in mind that stuff mentioned is proprietary and keeps interchangeably low, but that usually isn't a concern outside of an armory firearm since the factory/aftermarket can supply replacement parts.
    If your particular rifle has few or no failures with a specific load/cartridge type, then you have found 'Reliable'.

It's completely a personal choice,
    I load my rounds with a specific ballistic coefficient (BC), weight & muzzle velocity so they shoot directly on specific ballistic tables.
    This allows me to use range compensating sights/optics (bullet drop compensation) and have the bullet strike directly on the sights/optics.
    I find this more 'Reliable' than trying to work up a ballistic table for each round in each firearm.
    A first round strike is always better than 'Spray & Pray', even if the ammo isn't the latest/greatest 'Tacti-Cool' cartridge...

So your round isn't traveling at 3,400 FPS when it leaves the muzzle,
    Big deal when it hits the target first round and dead on the mark for range via the sights...

Great post, "you must spread some reputation around before giving it to Jeephammer again."

I'd also add that "overgassing" is also called "reliability" unless its severe enough to cause FTE and timing issues-- less likely with mid length or rifle length. Better to err on the side of lighter buffers and OEM configs rather than play with "tuning". If you need hell-and-back reliability, it's best to stick with whatever setup your rifle came with instead of going heavier on buffers and springs and all that.

Upgrade to a Crane or LMT extractor setup in a quality BCG and you'll be GTG.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I was once at this cross road. I decided to stop the guess work and grab the one of the best on the market. Knights SR15 Mod2.

Staked gas keys, staked castle nuts, consistent gas ports, barrell steel, gas block assembly are important on defensive rifles.

Correct 556 chambers are rare and the nonsense I've seen some manufacturers do to production AR's is really eye opening.

So, I grabbed a Stoner rifle.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Imho, if i know i can reliably dump, drop, swap, and repeat its going top be fine for 99.9999999 percent of self defense situation. Civilians don't really face extended gun fights in the wild, like mil and leo.

There are differences in materials, finishes, machining quality, bit most of these things are only apparent in high use or precision. It's not uncommon to get a jam free 1.5 moa ar15 for 600 dollars nowadays, that is a viable home defense and match rifle(for fun, you may not be overly competitive).

Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    Take it to a class. Run it hard. Find out what breaks. Replace what breaks with good quality parts that won't break.

I'd start by buying a solid mil spec BCG - Toolcraft and PSA mil-spec BCG's can be picked up for $70ish right now. Throw it in your bag. Your BCG is likely your weak link in your Ruger. And it doesn't hurt to have a spare BCG anyway.

Personally, I'd disassemble the upper and make sure everything is torqued properly when I reassemble. Depending on how everything else was functioning and how it looks when inspecting, I may replace some springs, etc...

Or buy a Colt, BCM, Larue, Sionics, etc... the options are endless right now and lots of good buys.

I wouldn't sell the Ruger AR unless you just happen to find someone that'll pay good money for it. The market is soft and you likely won't get much money out of it. Hold onto it and sell it when market demand is higher.

Whats wrong with Ruger BCG?

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    i have good luck with brown bear ammo in my mini 30. seems like all the others have hard primers.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Whats wrong with Ruger BCG?

I don't even know where to begin. It's probably the most garbage BCG on the market. Non shrouded firing pin, horrible or no gas key staking, non FA carrier.....I really don't have time for the rest. Seriously.....who produces BCG's to this low of quality anymore. It would cost them a few cents more to do it right. But Ruger decided to give you garbage instead. That's what you get for buying these cheap bottom of the barrel garbage rifles. Should have spent the extra $150 and got a Colt 6920. It's a hell of an upgrade for so little extra money.

If it were me, I'd throw the Ruger BCG in the trash. It's garbage. Replace with a PSA Premium or Toolcraft Mil Spec BCG for $70.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Some highly regarded BCGs have no staking. Staking or not isn't a measure of quality.

FA vs SA carrier weight isn't a measure of quality, either. JP LMOS carriers are lighter-- are they crap?

And with the proper (small diameter) firing pin, is the lack of shrouding really a major problem?

Sure, a premium BCG is worth the modest upgrade price, but the examples you cite hardly make the Ruger BCG "garbage."

Top Bottom