• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Built my first one in early August. Second one was built at the end of September. I told the wife it was her anniversary present. She was happy.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've found the premium line of PSA stuff is good to go. I've run mine semi-hard. :hehe:

I've never ventured into their lower end "Freedom" line and certainly wouldn't rely on it for a battle rifle.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A word of caution...if you decide to build, be careful because these things tend to multiply. I went from one to eight in a matter of (seemingly) days.

^^^Truth!^^^ "Oh look, I have an extra detent spring. That's practically a rifle, so I might as well get the rest of the parts!" :):

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I got a shockwave lower and 7" barrel. Now I'm worried about not having room for an AFG and shooting my finger off.:runaway:

And to keep it compact, a steel ProMag 10 round, $7 at a yard sale, still in the package.

Last edited:

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Yeah, if you build they seem to multiply. We have built many PSA uppers into ARs without any problems. With PSA, what they advertise is what you get. Now, that Brownells brand (assembled by ATI) upper that I purchased, sold as Nitrided SS barrel with FF handguard. The barrel is probably 4140, not nitrided, and it wasn't a FF handguard as the aluminum gas block pressed hard against handguard. And 3 of the six FF mounting screws bottomed out on the barrel, not holding the FF tight to the barrel nut. I repaired it and it works fine, but the accuracy just isn't there. Forgot to add, all our ARs were initially built as pistols, that way we can use them as a pistol or a rifle and switch as desired. If the initial build was a rifle, it has to remain a rifle or become a SBR with tax stamp.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Bought a new ATI and it went back twice.

Posted up thread about warranty. PSA has a lifetime warranty on all their parts. I'll check it.

Full Lifetime Warranty
    Palmetto State Armory firearms and parts are backed by our Full Lifetime Warranty. Our PSA firearms and parts are warranted to be free from defects in materials and craftsmanship for the serviceable lifetime of the firearm or part.

For the life of our product
    The liability of Palmetto State Armory under this warranty shall be limited solely to the obligation to repair or replace the firearm/part or defect at its discretion, and to pay transportation and insurance charges for return of the firearm to the owner for a rightful warranty claim. This warranty is transferable for the serviceable lifetime of the firearm or part. Modification of firearm will void this warranty. This warranty does not cover normal wear or any damage resulting from careless handling, neglect, repairs and adjustments, corrosion, improper, substandard or defective ammunition.

What we don't cover
    Under no circumstances shall Palmetto State Armory be responsible for incidental or consequential damages with respect to economic loss or injury to property, whether as a result of express or implied warranty, negligence or otherwise. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation may not apply to you. Palmetto State Armory will not be responsible for the results of careless handling, unauthorized adjustments, defective, low-quality, reloaded, or improper ammunition, corrosion, neglect, ordinary wear and tear, or unreasonable use.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    If you want to hang your head in shame every time someone asks what type of rifle you have.... go ahead and build a PSA.

OP stated he will be sticking to an entry level ar. As far as entry level goes. PSA will do the trick for being what it is.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bought a new ATI and it went back twice.

Posted up thread about warranty. PSA has a lifetime warranty on all their parts. I'll check it.

And their warranty is TOP NOTCH. They had the opportunity to tell me to pound sand for modifying my rifle, but happily replaced it.

My AR-9 had an issue with feeding plated flat points. they would jam something awful on the bottom of the feed ramp area. AllenM told me to bring it by and he did a HELL of a job creating a highly polished 360* feed ramp with his lathe. It was stupid slick and although it had worked for other rifles, this time it made it worse by making the bullets bounce off and jam on the top of the chamber opening.:): I sent it back to SC and instead of them telling me "nope. You monkeyed with it, you voided the warranty, they did their own version of a fix by replacing the barrel and cutting in an actual feed ramp which worked like a charm. They were not obligated to fix it, but they did anyway. That was awesome. They went above and beyond.

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    Build. It’s fun and you get to know the inner workings and can tweak and upgrade to extremes. I started with PSA and have done a few kits. Tools? If you buy a complete upper, you don’t need any specialized tools.

Any spare parts you end up with from upgrading parts, you should sell immediately. Otherwise they eventually turn into whole guns.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have built AR-15 lowers using Anderson, PSA, and Aero Precision parts. With all the parts on hand and the tools I have I can build a complete lower in about 15 minutes and never put a scratch on it. The Anderson and PSA stuff it’s pretty equivalent and quite adequate; the AP stuff is a step up in quality because of the tension screw at the takedown pin as well as the tapped hole which allows one to use a 4-40 set screw instead of the latch plate to hold the takedown pin plunger spring in place. The AP lower parts kit comes with the setscrew.

Speaking of lower parts kits, I’ve used PSA and AP. The PSA EPT (enhanced polished trigger) are consistently nice; the AP triggers can be hit or miss.

Definitely build with help from an experienced builder with the proper tools. Not only will you understand how the rifle operates mechanically; you will also save the 11% excise tax complete rifles are subject to.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A word of caution...if you decide to build, be careful because these things tend to multiply. I went from one to eight in a matter of (seemingly) days.

I made this mistake.

Recently I seen Anderson lowers on sale for $28 I ordered 2. They turned into a 6.5 Grendel and a 7.62x39.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP: Before you begin buying parts to assemble or buy a completed rifle, ask yourself what it is that you want to DO with the rifle.

Let the mission dictate the gear. This will help you plan and budget accordingly.

Top Bottom