• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    It is a can-o-worms because the debate crosses many lines of thought. Buy factory, Buy parts, Charge Factory prices, Charge less than factory, Charge based on "meh feelings" or "what I paid"

It boils down to,... Do you have a right to tell someone else what to charge for their property? and... Do you want me telling you how much to charge for your property?

Myself, I believe in a free market. I dont care if someone "jacks up the price" a product or charges based on the phase of the moon. I will ignore those sales, but you have the right to be whoever you want.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Most I've seen that don't work were from an off centered gas tube that bubba rammed through an improperly aligned barrel nut and it is binding up in the gas key. Some of the time though there is a problem with the parts they bought off of alibaba. If a person buys quality parts, it is just like legos. A lot of higher end handguards come with their own wrench with spacers and marked wrenches that do not require a torque wrench. Putting together a lower is silly easy. Especially if you use knipex plierwrench to just squeeze them into place. Seems a lot of grief of the online complainers comes from cheap parts, barrels improperly drilled, offset gas block, which will lead to an offset gas tube. I mean the mistakes people make putting their ar's together are no different than using a 2 block where you should have used a 3 or a 4 block. For new builders there are barrels that have an indent for the set screw even.

Look at majority of the standard 5.56 build fails, most are splattered with discount parts, blem recievers, blem bcg's, or trying to run some exotic spring and weight combo. Just because people choose to use crap parts doesn't make the process of assembly anymore difficult. Armorers are trained to deal with fails that may come from a variety of issues, that takes some skill and more specialized tools. Assembly with quality parts is super easy for someone that has a little bit of working knowledge with tools.
    On the converse, I’ve seen folks who spent the money on quality parts that totally dick up the build, and they still had a pos. I’ve also seen factory built rifles with totally jacked up builds (PSA, castle nut backwards and staked, improper barrel alignment, incorrect pins, etc.). If it was as LEGO as everyone espouses, all companies could produce a quality product, and the Armed Services could drawdown an entire career field (45B in the Army) and leave it to the armorers (supply clerks), to fix everything. But hey, the web knows better.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    and if I buy a high end build but it turns out to be jacked up, who is more likely to stand behind it? DD, BCM, Larue, LMT or the resident local build expert on the internet or the local gun show....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    and if I buy a high end build but it turns out to be jacked up, who is more likely to stand behind it? DD, BCM, Larue, LMT or the resident local build expert on the internet or the local gun show....

I would most likely just fix it myself as I always have.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Uh, buy from a vendor with integrity so if you get an out of spec part you just send it back for a replacement? That's what I've done before
    Talking about buying a build off someone on the internet or gun show. Then having a problem.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If I'm buying a used or home built AR, it's assumed that I'm just buying a collaboration of parts. More money for good parts in good condition. Less money for ham fisted or seasoned parts.

If the gun runs, it's a bonus. :)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I scanned the PSA site for a few minutes and saw that they had some pretty good bargains for a few of their uppers, but I wonder if their newer barrels are anywhere near as good as the barrels they had from FN a few years ago.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If I'm buying a used or home built AR, it's assumed that I'm just buying a collaboration of parts. More money for good parts in good condition. Less money for ham fisted or seasoned parts.

If the gun runs, it's a bonus. :)
    Why do you hate capitalism? Should the seller not be compensated for arranging the parts into an easy to purchase package?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    On the converse, I’ve seen folks who spent the money on quality parts that totally dick up the build, and they still had a pos. I’ve also seen factory built rifles with totally jacked up builds (PSA, castle nut backwards and staked, improper barrel alignment, incorrect pins, etc.). If it was as LEGO as everyone espouses, all companies could produce a quality product, and the Armed Services could drawdown an entire career field (45B in the Army) and leave it to the armorers (supply clerks), to fix everything. But hey, the web knows better.

Well, I mean, if you build your lego's with a hammer and a chisel your obviously going to have an issue. I agree for 45b is a legit profession, repairing a firearm is tougher than assembling an ar15. But there is no magic skill or secret to squeezing a few pins and torqueing a barrel nut. Some people have trouble putting the right fuel in their car, and some cannot change a tire or brake pads, I wouldn't suggest they venture into assembling their own ar, but I still think 8/10 random people could build a perfectly functional ar with written or visual instruction and in spec parts. Some mechanically inclined people can assemble out of spec parts to run flawlessly (my first 300blk and ar build, had a barrel that was too thick to let the gas block slide into place. I put the block in the oven and the barrel in the freezer and voila slide right on. Some would turn to sandpaper or hammers.) So I digress, sometimes the ar15 lego kits are a bit advanced, and some of us like to put mega blocks with our legos. Maybe not everyone can do it, but most mechanically inclined people can assemble an ar easily.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You can fix it, but I don't want to eat replacing a $200 BCG that was out of spec.

Truth but I usually have one "In Stock" on the bench. I get what you are saying.

I have replaced a barrel in a "Supposed" good shooter 1911 before just to not loose my cool and go north of nuts on someone.
    Had a new in the box Springfield stainless loaded act up on the 1st mag. Slide jammed mid-battery. Fixed it myself. Screw sending a gun anywhere and waiting. Just not me.
    Bits and pieces. All stacked tolerances. This BCG will not run in this AR but it runs just fine in that one. And the BCG out of that one works just peachy in this one......:dunno: Had this issue more than once.

I have had the same pin alignment problem the op is having. If it is not that bad it can be fixed. If it is off by a lot something is screwed.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    You_Didnt_Build_That-Obama.jpeg

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I'm not buying the home build on Armslist where the guy always says something like: "I slapped this together, function checks flawlessly, zero rounds fired, blah blah blah"
    But I wouldn't hesitate to buy a rifle where the ad stated: Churchmouse-"I built this."
    ...big difference

Top Bottom