• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I think 45 is mostly dying in traditional new guns but has found its place in specific weapons like the 1911 and other metal frame platforms as a smooth shooting heavy round. It definitely has its place.

That's what I'm saying. You can count on 9, 40, and 45 to be around for a long time. Saying any of these three are dying is simply untrue. 9 is winning the popular vote, right now, but they sell a lot of all 3 still

deeno3432

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 4, 2018
    heartland
    I see alot of used .40 in my area and the gunshops I go to dont want .40 because they say they dont sell well. I personally will not hesitate buying a .40 in a popular brand since you can usually get a 9mm conversion barrel and have the best of both worlds.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I wish that someone would tell CZ that .40 is still popular so they'd make a P10C in .40. To be honest though, I'm pretty enamored with my G23s and don't know if I'd be able to switch over to the P10 in .40 even if they did.

Prices do seem to be down on some of the .40s. I picked up a Gen 4 G27 at a LGS about a month back for $375 out the door. They had just taken it on trade that day and wanted a quick flip. I was more than happy to help out. It's actually become my most carried gun lately. I used to have a Gen 4 G27 and sold it a couple of years back thinking that it was not fun to shoot. This one is identical in every way but I've shot so much .40 over the last couple of years, it feels just perfect to me. I should pick up a second G27 and if I see another for under $400, might have to jump on it.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I don't think anyone said this so if I missed it sorry but, As someone being involved in some sort of LE the last 32 years my observation is this. The "somewhat" dipping popularity in 40 is nothing more than evolution and we have seen it time and time Again.

Some remember but others here's how it's been since the late 1980's.

Push to 9mm the 38 revolvers we're under $225. Then everyone needed 49 and 9mm service guns were there for under $300. Bow 9 is cool again so 40 is under $350.

Take advantage of it and get a couple of what you want. Trends will go back and forth. And there will always be ammo for the 9,40,45 and 38,357

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    I'm Still a fan of the .40. My main carry gun lately has been a G27 in .40. The thing is a soft shooter and yet lets me carry 10 rounds of good performing rounds in a tight little package. There are values to be had right now. My current G27 is a Gen 4 and set me back $375 out the door. That's a darned good price for a solid performer. The same gun in 9mm would have cost maybe $50 more. The market had driven the .40 prices down a bit so there are good deals to be had on the buying end.
    I have been carrying my FNP .40 for 10 years now, it still looks and functions like the day it was new, no need to change a good thing

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    A great measuring stick would be the used market.

I have been casually looking at a police trade in Sig. The .40 models are usually $125-175 less than their 9mm counterparts. Most times the 9mm versions are out of stock. 40's are always in stock. Same with used HK's.

The used market is flooded with 40.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    A great measuring stick would be the used market.

I have been casually looking at a police trade in Sig. The .40 models are usually $125-175 less than their 9mm counterparts. Most times the 9mm versions are out of stock. 40's are always in stock. Same with used HK's.

The used market is flooded with 40.

This is far to simplistic. There is a mass exodus of le agencies moving from 9mm to 40sw, which is why majority of the 9mm show out of stock or non existent. They just weren't in use like the 40 so there is a lot less to trade in. You also have to account for the large number of police departments that use absolutely the most undesirable models when choosing guns ie dao, dak, and the less desirable variants of the hk's. Most of the leo trade in outlets sell out of the desirable sa/da sigs in 40 and 9mm pretty quick, same with the popular variants of the hk usp's that are really coming on strong in the past month in a half. The other thing that the leo trade in market, and used market as a whole, has to fight against is the constant tide of deep discounts and huge rebates from manufacturers on new pistols. 9mm is hot right now, but only because of the constant hype. It'll all balance out in a year or two after everyone gets their 17m and m17 clones.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Once the .40 trade in surplus stock starts to wither, the prices will stabilize somewhat. For now though, there are deals out there if you know where to look. I'd love to pick up a P06 or SP01 Tactical in .40 but the availability is low and the prices are high when those do appear. An SP01 Tactical would be an amazing shooter with a CGW trigger kit.

DustyMck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Borden
    Yah as of now the market is often confused I see .40s sitting forever and then someone will dump a like new glock 23 for 350$ or 325$ and on the other end I see plenty of people selling beat up .40s for over a 100$ more than a police trade in.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I see plenty of people selling beat up .40s for over a 100$ more than a police trade in.

Selling or trying to sell?

I use gunbroker completed auctions to establish "market price" for something I'm interested in. You often see asking prices for any given gun that are scattered all over the map, but show completed auctions and the pricing gets much tighter. There are always outliers in either direction, sometimes explained by condition or history (some folks pay more for a gun with a story), sometimes not, but it's the best source I've found so far.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I'm one of the odd ducks here,I find that I actually shoot 40 better then 9mm. So I've picked up a couple of 40's recently at great prices. So I guess it really depends on what side of the fence your on.
    I think a common mistake is the first time gun buyer who buys a 40 as their first handgun, then soon discover they don't like the recoil and muzzle flip so they put it up in the market. But it's definitely a 40 lovers time to buy cheap and stack them deep.

Last edited:

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    This is far to simplistic. There is a mass exodus of le agencies moving from 9mm to 40sw, which is why majority of the 9mm show out of stock or non existent. They just weren't in use like the 40 so there is a lot less to trade in. You also have to account for the large number of police departments that use absolutely the most undesirable models when choosing guns ie dao, dak, and the less desirable variants of the hk's. Most of the leo trade in outlets sell out of the desirable sa/da sigs in 40 and 9mm pretty quick, same with the popular variants of the hk usp's that are really coming on strong in the past month in a half. The other thing that the leo trade in market, and used market as a whole, has to fight against is the constant tide of deep discounts and huge rebates from manufacturers on new pistols. 9mm is hot right now, but only because of the constant hype. It'll all balance out in a year or two after everyone gets their 17m and m17 clones.
    While it isn't the whole story, it gives a snap shot of the market. Police models, from what I've seen, aren't exclusively LEM/DAK models either.

OP asked were .40 going down in value...I'd say yes. Why? There are several reasons, one being the advancement in bullet design. Terminal performance differences between the big 3 are tiny.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm one of the odd ducks here,I find that I actually shoot 40 better then 9mm. So I've picked up a couple of 40's recently at great prices. So I guess it really depends on what side of the fence your on.
    I think a common mistake is the first time gun buyer who buys a 40 as their first handgun, then soon discover they don't like the recoil and muzzle flip so they put it up in the market. But it's definitely a 40 lovers time to buy cheap and stack them deep.

It's pretty much the same for me. I bought a G23 and loved it. I figured that if I like the G23, I'd absolutely love the G19, so I bought one. Then happened across a second one that was cheap enough to buy. I tried to love the G19, but never could shoot either of them as well as I could the G23. My guess is that the increased muzzle flip slows the cycle for me enough to keep the eye in sync with the trigger finger. I could probably have stuck with the 9mm to see if I improved with it, but shiny stuff appeared and the G19s were traded away.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I’ve been noticing 9mm is taking over with it’s new more powerful loads even competing with .40. Most people down right don’t want 40s are 40 cal handguns going down in value.

Well, man buns are going out of style, so I guess it makes sense that .40 would too...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Well, man buns are going out of style, so I guess it makes sense that .40 would too...

As long as testicles exist, so too will .40. There are always going to be the guys that just want to ring the bell a little louder than others even if it costs a round to do it.

Top Bottom