• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Sorry if this is a thread hijack - mods, feel free to delete if it is...

But I was wondering if I went to the range with a handgun and have my LTCH...but bring my friends who don't have their LTCH, can they still shoot the handgun?

PER IC

a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

So NO they can not.

chayne02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    One could then argue that as long as they do not move then are not carrying the gun but rather holding and shooting it. Carrying implies the gun will be taken from one location to another. Simply pick it up shoot it and place it back down. No carrying took place.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    One could then argue that as long as they do not move then are not carrying the gun but rather holding and shooting it. Carrying implies the gun will be taken from one location to another. Simply pick it up shoot it and place it back down. No carrying took place.

Please note the bold. I made it BOLD for a reason.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    However, in a different scenario, say your friends also brought handguns, those friends do not have carry permits, and you claim all the handguns are yours, you may put yourself in a bit of a pickle!

How so? This isn't Ohio. There is no limit on how many guns you may own or carry on your person.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    See post #55. It is the basis for my saying that yes they could.

From the case you quoted,

As Neeley shone his flashlight into the car, Finch told him that there were guns in the vehicle.   The officer could see a semi-automatic pistol on the transmission hump in the middle of the car and the handle of a revolver under the front passenger seat.Finch owned both guns and had a permit for each.

First off Anthony Henderson should of NEVER been charged since the car and both guns belonged to Finch and Finch had his LTCH. 2nd, neither gun was in Henderson's possession/"on or about his person" which is how the IC reads. If chewylax8's buddy was to fire one of chewylax8's handguns, it would actually be on or about his person which violates the IC. That's two total different sets of circumstances.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    That's interesting about Atterbury. I understand what the code says. But, when I started going to Kingsbury, I asked the Range Officer if I were to bring a friend or family member to the range to shoot handguns, if they needed an LTCH. He said no. Also, I saw plenty of people there with their kids, teaching them handgun basics, etc. And, I am certain those kids don't have LTCHs. Anyways, not arguing with the law, just repeating what I was told by a range officer.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    That's interesting about Atterbury. I understand what the code says. But, when I started going to Kingsbury, I asked the Range Officer if I were to bring a friend or family member to the range to shoot handguns, if they needed an LTCH. He said no. Also, I saw plenty of people there with their kids, teaching them handgun basics, etc. And, I am certain those kids don't have LTCHs. Anyways, not arguing with the law, just repeating what I was told by a range officer.
    There is an exception in the code that allows children under 18 to possess handguns under the supervision of their parent or guardian, so the kids would be ok.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    There is an exception in the code that allows children under 18 to possess handguns under the supervision of their parent or guardian, so the kids would be ok.

Yep, that's the screwed up state of Indiana handgun restrictions for ya.

An unlicensed parent, who couldn't legally carry/transport a handgun in this state, would need to have their minor child carry/transport it to be legal.

You may supervise a child doing what you are not allowed to. :n00b:

Brilliant!

Hit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010

I asked the RO out at Jasper-Pulaski when I was there a few months ago if I could bring friends without LTCH's out to shoot my handguns. He said as long as someone on the lane had a LTCH it was OK by him. I think if I went out with unlicensed friends though I would check with him again before they shot just to be on the safe side.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I asked the RO out at Jasper-Pulaski when I was there a few months ago if I could bring friends without LTCH's out to shoot my handguns. He said as long as someone on the lane had a LTCH it was OK by him. I think if I went out with unlicensed friends though I would check with him again before they shot just to be on the safe side.

It might be alright by HIM, but is he the one who would be checking/enforcing the LTCH rule, or is it another officer who would come around and do it?

Michiganmilitia

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Yep, that's the screwed up state of Indiana handgun restrictions for ya.

An unlicensed parent, who couldn't legally carry/transport a handgun in this state, would need to have their minor child carry/transport it to be legal.

You may supervise a child doing what you are not allowed to. :n00b:

Brilliant!

That's the ticket! I'm going to start making holsters for diapers and car seats so children and babies can have quick and easy access to their parent's guns.

Hey everyone...save your money on a license and buy a holster from me for your child!

Top Bottom