• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Without being able to quote "chapter and verse" of Indiana Code, I believe the answer is "yes."

However, in a different scenario, say your friends also brought handguns, those friends do not have carry permits, and you claim all the handguns are yours, you may put yourself in a bit of a pickle!
    I believe you'd be Ok. Your license says that you may carry any any handgun that you legally possess, you don't have to actually own it. As long as one person in the group has their LTCH they should be good as far as transporting them to and from the range goes. Once you get to the range I don't know.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Under what authority are they confiscating guns? If they are citing someone for "carrying without a license", it is a Class A Misdemeanor. Shouldn't you be arrested for that, or is it just a "ticket" like a traffic stop? If I scan through the other class A's, they all seem like something you would go to jail for.

Almost sounds like the CO's are either making up their own law, or making up their own punishment.

Of course, I could be wrong....

You can be issued a summons/citation for most misdemeanors; it happens all the time with Driving While Suspended (prior) charges, as well as shoplifts (conversion), illegal consumption of Alcohol etc. Felonies, on the other hand, may not be summonsed.

OWI per se is one of the few misdemeanors where an arrest is required by the IC.

Seizure of evidence also is not really anything new. If you are carrying a handgun illegally; it might be a bit farfetched to conclude that the police are going to let you continue carrying it illegally after they catch you.

I personally would much rather be summonsed/cited than arrested. Being booked in is not the fun experience some might think it is. Confiscated guns will be in evidence and there are various ways to request their release.

Joe

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You can be issued a summons/citation for most misdemeanors; it happens all the time with Driving While Suspended (prior) charges, as well as shoplifts (conversion), illegal consumption of Alcohol etc. Felonies, on the other hand, may not be summonsed.

OWI per se is one of the few misdemeanors where an arrest is required by the IC.

Seizure of evidence also is not really anything new. If you are carrying a handgun illegally; it might be a bit farfetched to conclude that the police aren't going to let you continue carrying it illegally after they catch you.

I personally would much rather be summonsed/cited than arrested. Being booked in is not the fun experience some might think it is. Confiscated guns will be in evidence and there are various ways to request their release.

Joe
    Thanks for the explanation! I'd rather not get booked, either....

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Well, it was, until we all started playing internet lawyers and attracted a lot of LE and DNR attention on our board. The number of reports of DNR CO's checking licenses @dnr properties has skyrocketed since we began this line of discussion over a year ago.

So what you are saying is that there were a lot of misinformed DNR and LE
    out there believing that you did not need a license to go to the range
    and now they are aware and are looking to get those people who may be in violation?

I get all my legal training/updates from reading INGO.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So what if someone shooting with you doesn't have an LTCH and they are using your firearms?

That's what I am wondering as well. Sounds like these folks were getting cited.

I have been told directly by both LEO and certified NRA trainers that an unlicensed individual could have a licensed individual take their personal gun to the range for them AND could shoot someone else's gun while at the range.

All depends on the definition of "carry". Almost everyone agrees it means "transport", but some folks believe it means "touch".

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    What is IC (7) actually saying by regularly enrolled members of an organization? Is it saying org. like the NRA, local gun club, etc?

Last edited:

lpenni

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I have never been ask to show my LTCH, have not seen or heard of anyone else ask to show at the ranges I use.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    LTCHs were checked and firearms were confiscated if you couldn't produce one for the CO.

WOW. So i guess this happen more then once yesturday.

I was with shafe and his wife there yesturday. I usally kept an eye out for stuff like this. I told shafe's wife to keep an ear open. It almost seems like the co had been tip or something about this on group. I do know, not to mess around with those folkss (C.O.'s) They can make your life very hard, real quick and by the way don't make up the laws, they inforce the laws. :twocents:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Well, it was, until we all started playing internet lawyers and attracted a lot of LE and DNR attention on our board. The number of reports of DNR CO's checking licenses @dnr properties has skyrocketed since we began this line of discussion over a year ago.
    OK...who's the rat????

images

:D

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    LTCHs were checked and firearms were confiscated if you couldn't produce one for the CO.

What's the situation with an LTCH holder who takes a friend/wife/whatever, who doesn't have an LTCH. How about if the LTCH holder is on the lane next to such sife/friend? How much must the pistol be under the control of the LTCH holder??

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Without being able to quote "chapter and verse" of Indiana Code, I believe the answer is "yes."

However, in a different scenario, say your friends also brought handguns, those friends do not have carry permits, and you claim all the handguns are yours, you may put yourself in a bit of a pickle!

How so? If I, as an LTCH holder want to take my gun-owning non-LTCH holding friend, can I not take HIS gun, as long as he doesn't have control of it during the trip? What if *I* carry HIS pistol on my person?

While the law SEEMS fairly straightforward - it seems like there is a lot of gray area in it.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I don't even know what a CLE credit is....:n00b:

Continuing Legal Education. The annual classes that lawyers have to take to keep their license. They must get a certain number of credits each year.

Do you guys get any training on new laws when they go into effect, or refreshers on current laws?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    What is IC (7) actually saying by regularly enrolled members of an organization? Is it saying org. like the NRA, local gun club, etc?

Anyone know the answer to my question above?

I don't know the answer, but I would interpret:

(7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;

to mean, for example, a CMP-affiliated club. It could be interpreted either way, but whether it's the organization that can buy the weapons from the United States or from Indiana or the members of that organization who can do so, membership in and activity with such an organization would seem to be required. Such would also include an organized militia of either the state or the fedgov, if such existed (regardless of the contradiction therein)

Disclaimers: IANAL, IDSIAHIELN, TINLA. If you need a legal interpretation that you can count on, I recommend you hire a licensed attorney to give it to you. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom