"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Self-aggrandizing pseudo-intellectual blather.

I googled it. Landed on the SisterSong website. This appears to be blathering jargon made up to sound stupid. The SisterSong definition was very woke, but not pseudojargon. It was at least grammatically correct.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How did the word phrase “woke” come about ?

Best I can tell it first seemed to take hold politically in the 1960s among black activists. It's not proper English, but it is proper Ebonics. As the Social Justice movement spilled out beyond just academics the term seems to have become widely used by Social Justice Warriors regardless of race. It just means ideologically aware of Social Justice issues. Which, I mean, if you're really "woke" one would think you wouldn't appropriate the word from its cultural roots. But I digress. It seems this is the first year where it's wider use is ironic, mostly to troll SJW's, or refer to the ideology of Postmodern Social Justice negatively.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    [h=4]INDICATIVE[/h]
    Present​
    • I wake
    • you wake
    • he/she/it wakes
    • we wake
    • you wake
    • they wake

Preterite​
    • I woke/waked
    • you woke/waked
    • he/she/it woke/waked
    • we woke/waked
    • you woke/waked
    • they woke/waked

Present continuous​
    • I am waking
    • you are waking
    • he/she/it is waking
    • we are waking
    • you are waking
    • they are waking

Present perfect​
    • I have woken/waked
    • you have woken/waked
    • he/she/it has woken/waked
    • we have woken/waked
    • you have woken/waked
    • they have woken/waked

Future​
    • I will wake
    • you will wake
    • he/she/it will wake
    • we will wake
    • you will wake
    • they will wake

Future perfect​
    • I will have woken/waked
    • you will have woken/waked
    • he/she/it will have woken/waked
    • we will have woken/waked
    • you will have woken/waked
    • they will have woken/waked

Past continous​
    • I was waking
    • you were waking
    • he/she/it was waking
    • we were waking
    • you were waking
    • they were waking

Past perfect​
    • I had woken/waked
    • you had woken/waked
    • he/she/it had woken/waked
    • we had woken/waked
    • you had woken/waked
    • they had woken/waked

Future continuous​
    • I will be waking
    • you will be waking
    • he/she/it will be waking
    • we will be waking
    • you will be waking
    • they will be waking

Present perfect continuous​
    • I have been waking
    • you have been waking
    • he/she/it has been waking
    • we have been waking
    • you have been waking
    • they have been waking

Past perfect continuous​
    • I had been waking
    • you had been waking
    • he/she/it had been waking
    • we had been waking
    • you had been waking
    • they had been waking

Future perfect continuous​
    • I will have been waking
    • you will have been waking
    • he/she/it will have been waking
    • we will have been waking
    • you will have been waking
    • they will have been waking

[h=4]PARTICIPLE[/h]
    [h=4]IMPERATIVE[/h]

• wake
    • let's wake
    • wake

Present​
    • waking

Past​
    • woken/waked

[h=4]INFINITIVE[/h]

• to wake

[h=4]PERFECT PARTICIPLE[/h]

• having woken/waked

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    INDICATIVE

Preterite

• I woke/waked
    • you woke/waked
    • he/she/it woke/waked
    • we woke/waked
    • you woke/waked
    • they woke/waked

As a verb, that's fine. But I took the question to be about the use as an adjective, which is not proper English. It's fine to say, I woke up too early this morning. It's not correct to say I am more woke because I got up so ***damn early today.
    I mean, if I said such things on INGO, Alpo would be all like :xmad: and then be like:rules: and I'd have to be like :@ya: and then like :blahblah: calm down dude, it's just a word use which has evolved socially, and then I'd have to be like :chillout:.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Upon further review, it looks like some scholars think it may go back as far as early 1940's. But the person credited with coining the term, at least in a political use, was William Melvin Kelly in the title of a 3 part series in the New York Times on African idioms in language, titled If You're Woke You Dig It: No mickey mouse can expect to follow today's negro idiom without a hip assist. But, his wife said that he overheard someone else in Harlem use "woke" as an adjective. So if that's true, obviously it was in use prior to that, albeit, perhaps with a different meaning. His use of it in that article seemed to be similar to its use today. But it was popularized ~2014 when BLM used it in the hashtag #staywoke, which is to say, stay aware and alert to social injustice in society. But, like any activism it could use a mitigating dose of self reflective cross-examination, starting with the question, what if I'm full of ****, at least a little?

What's ironic about white progressives embracing the term, is that one of the points in If You're Woke You Dig It was that the language of blacks changed as whites culturally appropriated their terms. And he's right that terms like "Hip" and "Dig it" started in black culture, and eventually spread to white hippy culture. I understand or am "woke" to what is meant by "hip" and "dig it" because I used those terms too back in the 70s along with just about everyone in school. And then those terms fell out of style as slang often does, and new terms evolved, and the cycle continued. But, I don't know that it's necessarily a result of Blacks inventing new terms because society was appropriating theirs, instead of simply going out of style. Anyway, the point is, white progressives who say it is wrong to appropriate another culture's customs or language, appropriated "woke" from Black people for non-ironic use.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Police Chief Says Cops Shouldn't Draw Guns On Suspects With Knives

How in hell did this guy get to be a cop, much less the chief?

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesma...BO3wdM814qLzObDRuWxxThiea_C3tc7EyVeePcREQ26Qs

Those Brit Cops who showed up at the stabbings the other days weren't unarmed. Iceland? Seriously?? All the Icelanders either are related to, or know someone related to, all the other Icelanders. That's why they don't kill each other when loaded up on vodka.

Vermont: the State that has never required a handgun license, is lost. At the NRAAMM last April I was in line (getting Tanto's book signed) with a guy originally from Vermont who now lives in Lexington, Ky. He said it used to be a great State. Everybody and their uncle from NY, NJ, Mass, etc. moved there and ruined it.

American law enforcement leaders should instead try to mimic techniques used in countries were officers are unarmed, such as Britain or Iceland, Chief del Pozo suggested.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Those Brit Cops who showed up at the stabbings the other days weren't unarmed. Iceland? Seriously?? All the Icelanders either are related to, or know someone related to, all the other Icelanders. That's why they don't kill each other when loaded up on vodka.

Vermont: the State that has never required a handgun license, is lost. At the NRAAMM last April I was in line (getting Tanto's book signed) with a guy originally from Vermont who now lives in Lexington, Ky. He said it used to be a great State. Everybody and their uncle from NY, NJ, Mass, etc. moved there and ruined it.

American law enforcement leaders should instead try to mimic techniques used in countries were officers are unarmed, such as Britain or Iceland, Chief del Pozo suggested.
    Yeah, the Chief is not making a distinction between a homicidal man with a knife and a mental emotional man with a knife. It is quite possible that both men end up the same but the paths there COULD be very different. I am willing to give a mental emotional person time and distance in order to try to resolve it peacefully. A person with a knife who means to do me or someone else harm, does not get the same courtesy. Now, LE are our own worse enemies when it comes to lethal force. Graham v. Connor is what we base our use of force reasonableness on. It's our legal standard, it is what we train to. However, I hold the seemingly unpopular opinion that we should also train to a MORAL standard when it comes to use of force. Meaning, we should INCREASE control tactic and less-lethal tool training, with an emphasis on "hand to hand" control tactics. Even if it means training on your own time and dime. We (as a profession) can be quick to gun because we lack training. It may very well be legal but my opinion is that we should TRY to do better. This Chief might be trying to say the same thing but doing a **** poor job of it. Or maybe he's off his rocker.
    British Bobbies are unarmed with exception of the ARV's. The men and women on the front line have to use alternate means to subdue a knife wielding suspect while an ARV is on the way. Police shooting an armed suspect is quite rare. Even the Communist Chinese police (of all people) are unarmed and subdue knife wielding persons without killing them. We CAN do better but many officers have little desire to do so.
    Maybe I got this Chief all wrong but it's a great way to get the conversation started.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom