• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Slightly OT... What is the point of an elderly, frail, unarmed guard? I dont mean to demean because at the end of his life my father wasnt exactly Chuck Norris, but he was at least a special deputy with a gun.

I walk into places today and find guys at/near/beyond retirement age in a security uniform with no weapons. Just a polyester uniform. Whats the point? If a robber bursts through the doors, what is he going to do? How is he any better at stopping a threat than a female teller or clerk half his age and size? In many cases, if I were a perp, I'd worry more about the resistance of the young female clerks than I would this "guard".

/rant

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I've been followed more than once by the security guard in the newish Walgreens. Bet it was a big disappointment to him when I went to the pharmacy, picked up my scripts and left.

When I was armed guard, at Walgreens, I was told to "man my position", and NEVER follow a customer .....

My, My, how times change !!!!!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Slightly OT... What is the point of an elderly, frail, unarmed guard? I dont mean to demean because at the end of his life my father wasnt exactly Chuck Norris, but he was at least a special deputy with a gun.

I walk into places today and find guys at/near/beyond retirement age in a security uniform with no weapons. Just a polyester uniform. Whats the point? If a robber bursts through the doors, what is he going to do? How is he any better at stopping a threat than a female teller or clerk half his age and size? In many cases, if I were a perp, I'd worry more about the resistance of the young female clerks than I would this "guard".

/rant

Most of the pharmacy robbers are not armed. They pass a threatening note. They are not dedicated to the robbery, it's just a job. Sort of a contractor thing. Any target hardening pushed them along.

Pharmacy robbers TEND to be so low key customers don't know there is a robbery happening. There are exceptions, but that's the norm.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

/rant

My Son-in-law work for Verizon Wireless. A guy came in with a water damaged phone and wanted a replacement but didn't have insurance (I know he should have tried uncoiled rice). He was told that he wasn't up for renewal and that it would cost around $600 for a new phone (The price is ridiculous but it is what it is). The guy lays a loaded mag on the counter and tells the VW employee that the first round had his name on it. The Mgr told him to leave the store and they cancelled his account and banned him from ever having service with them again.

I told them that they should have called the police because we don't need those hot head bullies with a gun in their possession.

Corporate decided to get a security officer to be at the store during all business hours. The guy does NOT have a gun and the only way this guy is gonna harm anybody is if they try to take a Twinkie away from him. He is a nice enough guy but he is not providing any security to the store and the employees know it.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If my dentist and pharmacist doesn't like my EDC then its time to find new ones. Your protection is primarily your own responsibility.

Good points.

It was a maxiofacial surgeon. He snapped a crown off one of my molars with a pair of vise grips. Then cut the remaining tooth in half with a dremel wheel. Next, he fished out the pieces of tooth and broken root with a grip-it type bit on the end of a high speed air hammer.

once the tooth was out, he grabbed his 3/8 bit and drilled a 3/4 inch long pilot hole into my jaw. Once clear of blood and stray tissue, he sunk a drywall screw into the bone (at least that's what the x-rays look like). It felt much larger.

While suturing, he barely nicked the tip of my tongue with the needle. Hurt like heck. And the local was wearing off quickly. If it had gone another 15 minutes into a two hour appointment, we would have gone general anesthesia.

It was ENTIRELY my choice to leave my firearm in my car during surgery.

No one questioned or challenged me about firearms at any time.

I weighed the benefits/dangers and made my choice. I didn't want to put anyone in danger because I was acting reflexively.

If I'd had my wits about me, I would have collected my EDC prior to walking into the pharmacy.
    The fact that I didn't, makes me think I made the right choice (still a bit 'off' from the surgery).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My Son-in-law work for Verizon Wireless. A guy came in with a water damaged phone and wanted a replacement but didn't have insurance (I know he should have tried uncoiled rice). He was told that he wasn't up for renewal and that it would cost around $600 for a new phone (The price is ridiculous but it is what it is). The guy lays a loaded mag on the counter and tells the VW employee that the first round had his name on it. The Mgr told him to leave the store and they cancelled his account and banned him from ever having service with them again.

I told them that they should have called the police because we don't need those hot head bullies with a gun in their possession.

Corporate decided to get a security officer to be at the store during all business hours. The guy does NOT have a gun and the only way this guy is gonna harm anybody is if they try to take a Twinkie away from him. He is a nice enough guy but he is not providing any security to the store and the employees know it.

Yep. Case in point, 10th and Arlington PNC bank. (sketchy hood) Nice older gentleman working UNARMED security in the lobby. Every time I walk through those doors, whether I am armed or not, I am still able to overpower him. Now maybe if he had a weapon I wouldnt be typing this. But alas I am.

I actually feel safer in the Mars Hill branch with no guard and the metal detector with the auto locking doors. (which only delays me 5 seconds even if I am CCing.. One sly smile and the ladies unlock the doors for me :naughty:) At least those tellers have the ability to stop a thug, whereas the nice gentleman I say hi to on Arlington would be challenged to stop a rabid Rat Terrier.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Good points.

It was a maxiofacial surgeon. He snapped a crown off one of my molars with a pair of vise grips. Then cut the remaining tooth in half with a dremel wheel. Next, he fished out the pieces of tooth and broken root with a grip-it type bit on the end of a high speed air hammer.

once the tooth was out, he grabbed his 3/8 bit and drilled a 3/4 inch long pilot hole into my jaw. Once clear of blood and stray tissue, he sunk a drywall screw into the bone (at least that's what the x-rays look like). It felt much larger.

While suturing, he barely nicked the tip of my tongue with the needle. Hurt like heck. And the local was wearing off quickly. If it had gone another 15 minutes into a two hour appointment, we would have gone general anesthesia.

It was ENTIRELY my choice to leave my firearm in my car during surgery.

No one questioned or challenged me about firearms at any time.

I weighed the benefits/dangers and made my choice. I didn't want to put anyone in danger because I was acting reflexively.

If I'd had my wits about me, I would have collected my EDC prior to walking into the pharmacy.
    The fact that I didn't, makes me think I made the right choice (still a bit 'off' from the surgery).

I think you made the right choice by leaving your EDC in your vehicle. Having gone through what you did would have made me shoot the guy right then and there.

I am getting an implant next year. They wanted to let the area heal up for at least six months where they had to pull a tooth that had a crown. I think I will take your advice and leave my EDC in the car until its over and have Mrs Glue transport me home.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

/rant

Most of the pharmacy robbers are not armed. They pass a threatening note. They are not dedicated to the robbery, it's just a job. Sort of a contractor thing. Any target hardening pushed them along.

Pharmacy robbers TEND to be so low key customers don't know there is a robbery happening. There are exceptions, but that's the norm.

4B4E831D-F855-4BE0-91D0-98AC6987BA4F_zpsk9hevga0.jpg

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    When I was armed guard, at Walgreens, I was told to "man my position", and NEVER follow a customer .....

My, My, how times change !!!!!

One time he followed me until I got to the pharmacy then turned and went back to the front. My scripts weren't ready so I had to sit and wait about 15 minutes. I bet I saw him 3 or 4 times cruise by the pharmacy, looking over my way.

They do have an armed, 50'ish male working security in there. Usually the same guy. I've seen 1 other different guy, must have been the regulars night off. it was the different guy that just had to walk around everywhere.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Plainfield CVS has armed security on the overnight shift, though I question the training and skill level of anyone carrying in a nylon airsoft holster.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Plainfield CVS has armed security on the overnight shift, though I question the training and skill level of anyone carrying in a nylon airsoft holster.

Last night we had another uniformed security guard robbed of his sidearm at gunpoint.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

​Thats what happens when people open carry. Was it a six year old girl that took it?

Nope, 6 year old girls don't rob people, they pickpocket them. (pick-holster them? I dunno.) Guard went to a restaurant for lunch and was confronted in the parking lot.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You gonna work that one into the next class? If so what will you call it?

It's just another form of the common street robbery. The only difference being the reason he was targeted and the item they wanted. The obvious issue is how do you disguise your draw when they know you are armed, where your weapon is, and are focused on it. I don't have a good answer on how to beat a drawn gun in those circumstances.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It's just another form of the common street robbery. The only difference being the reason he was targeted and the item they wanted. The obvious issue is how do you disguise your draw when they know you are armed, where your weapon is, and are focused on it. I don't have a good answer on how to beat a drawn gun in those circumstances.

Concealed BUG would be helpfulness that situation.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield

I talked to the one they had about a year ago. The belt he was wearing was so big and weak the gun was at least two inches down from his pants waist. I told him he should look into a bull belt or at least a thick nylon gun belt, he just looked at me like the elevator was stuck in his head.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom