As self described Christians, what can we do about the situation in our country?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    As self described Christians we must follow the Ten Commandments.
    We must follow the lead of the Holy Spirit and we must pray that God will intervene.

What else, if anything, can we do without violating the law and our principles.
    And when are we justified in taking action to save our nation?

It is God's battle as I understand it and we are certainly in a battle against the evil of this world but what part do we play?

Last night I listened to a recent Tucker Carlson podcast about our countries dictatorial leadership and I am convinced that he is spot-on. You might enjoy listening to it on YouTube.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm drawing a blank right now but I'm pretty sure there is a verse that says something along the lines of, if a law of the government violates the law of God, it is our duty to follow God's law and not man's.

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    there is a verse that says something along the lines of, if a law of the government violates the law of God, it is our duty to follow God's law and not man's.

That would be Romans 13: 1-6

But it doesn't read like you remember it...

Submission to Governing Authorities

13 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Lpherr

Occupied
    As self described Christians we must follow the Ten Commandments.
    We must follow the lead of the Holy Spirit and we must pray that God will intervene.

What else, if anything, can we do without violating the law and our principles.
    And when are we justified in taking action to save our nation?

It is God's battle as I understand it and we are certainly in a battle against the evil of this world but what part do we play?

Last night I listened to a recent Tucker Carlson podcast about our countries dictatorial leadership and I am convinced that he is spot-on. You might enjoy listening to it on YouTube.
    If you are a devout Christian...

Thou shalt not kill.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

But it doesn't read like you remember
    I'm not sure that's what I was thinking of. I remember our pastor doing a sermon on this very thing a few years ago and he had a way of explaining it that made a lot more sense. He broke it down with several verses and explained it better than I can. Or I could be mistaken as well.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you are a devout Christian...

Thou shalt not kill.
    Debatable. There are provisions made for the soldiers of Jerusalem ( I suppose Israel would be more accurate since Jerusalem didn't exist when Leviticus was written) that go to battle. The Bible differentiates "murder" and "killing in a war". But the Hebrew word if I remember correctly is the same but in context has different meaning. So the commandment should technically be "Thou shall not commit murder" and in fact some translations read as such.

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I'm drawing a blank right now but I'm pretty sure there is a verse that says something along the lines of, if a law of the government violates the law of God, it is our duty to follow God's law and not man's.

That says to me that it is up to God to dethrone the wicked from power. ????

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

It's also important to remember Saul (before he became Paul) was a Roman citizen and a Pharisee. He was uniquely qualified to speak about the laws of both the Roman state and Jewish law. He even states at the beginning that "there is no authority except what God has established" the established leaders of the Jewish law at the time were the Pharosees and Sadducees. He very well could have been speaking about those appointed to carry out God's law. Especially given the intended audience of the letters were Jewish people not the Romans. Even though the Jewish people were Roman subjects the Romans for the most part let the Jews govern themselves. I don't have time to dig much deeper now but this is an interesting topic.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    What are you prepared to do? That's a better question. Pontificating scripture isn't going to accomplish anything so if that's your motivation, maybe hunker down and wait for your God to do the work.

And no offense to Tucker Carlson who I'm sure speaks only in truths and would never say anything that was calculated to stir his base and make money, but is that the voice you're choosing to be the mouthpiece of your God?

Let's be honest, most people are going to sit at home on a computer and pretend to have the solution without dirtying their hands.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Then there is 2nd Chronicles 7:14

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Can we as a nation do that?
    God doesn't include everyone in the nation, just those who are called by His name, Christians.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    What are you prepared to do? That's a better question. Pontificating scripture isn't going to accomplish anything so if that's your motivation, maybe hunker down and wait for your God to do the work.

And no offense to Tucker Carlson who I'm sure speaks only in truths and would never say anything that was calculated to stir his base and make money, but is that the voice you're choosing to be the mouthpiece of your God?

Let's be honest, most people are going to sit at home on a computer and pretend to have the solution without dirtying their hands.
    I do believe God is fully capable of doing just that, he did it for Israel.

No I don't believe Tucker Carlson is a god but more like a watchman sounding the alarm.

I suspect most people have no idea what they should do, that's why I asked the question.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    No,
    Psalm 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my Rock,
    Who trains my hands for war,
    And my fingers for battle—
    Tucker Carlson, is that the voice you're choosing to be the mouthpiece of your
    God?
    No again. God speaks enough on his own. We just have to learn how to listen.

I'm not sure what I can do really. Except prepare myself and my family for a long stretch of bad road.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Sorry man, but your entire premise is flawed. Maybe what is happening in America is all a part of Gods plan? God has raised nations just to bring them down in order to bring glory to himself.

As to 2 Chron. 7:14, America is not Israel. We are not God’s people. That verse does not apply to us.

I’ll tell you exactly what Christian’s should do in our country. It’s the same thing Daniel and his friends did while in Babylon. Embrace the culture you are a part of. (They were wise men, scholars, and eunuchs who served a pagan king) But never compromise your beliefs. Honor Him and obey His commands. Things may never change. But again, maybe it’s Gods plan for things the keep getting progressively worse.

Top Bottom