As self described Christians, what can we do about the situation in our country?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is not what the thread asked about.
    But it speaks to the translation of the commandment, which affects this discussion as a basis of fact. If the basis of fact is incorrect, it causes issues downstream. Which is why it is being discussed.

The English translation is vague, and therefore incorrect given the meaning of the Hebrew word that it was translated from. Words matter. Greatly. Murder is killing but killing isnt always murder. Just like all Bourbons are Whiskeys but not all Whiskeys are Bourbon. Words matter.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    But it speaks to the translation of the commandment, which affects this discussion as a basis of fact. If the basis of fact is incorrect, it causes issues downstream. Which is why it is being discussed.

The English translation is vague, and therefore incorrect given the meaning of the Hebrew word that it was translated from. Words matter. Greatly. Murder is killing but killing isnt always murder. Just like all Bourbons are Whiskeys but not all Whiskeys are Bourbon. Words matter.
    I’d like more information on this whiskey/bourbon thing. Is there a newsletter I can sign up for?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Another translation error:

In Revelation, the original word that was translated to "Day" in English actually means "a period of time". Not what we consider 24 hours. It can mean ANY period of time. So each "day" originally could be an hour, an earth day, or a million years.

Starts to make more sense when you start looking at the science side of the universe.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

In Revelation, the original word that was translated to "Day" in English actually means "a period of time". Not what we consider 24 hours. It can mean ANY period of time. So each "day" originally could be an hour, an earth day, or a million years.

Starts to make more sense when you start looking at the science side of the universe.
    Have a book on a guy in the 1800’s that went through the KJV and only found 2 scriptures only that he couldn’t confirm. There was as many as nearly 2000 eras, however none of the errors changed the context of what was being said. Example: a man was filled with “devils”… it should have said “demons” because there is only one devil. However the main context was a man possessed. So we come to the same view of what is being said. And as Peter said, a thousand years is as but a day and night to the Lord. It can probably be any length he declares. And if so then Jesus never lied about coming back quickly. While they say he delays his return because look how long he has been gone now! Well, it’s only been 2 days when you see things from Gods point of view, which is wisdom imho.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Have a book on a guy in the 1800’s that went through the KJV and only found 2 scriptures only that he couldn’t confirm. There was as many as nearly 2000 eras, however none of the errors changed the context of what was being said. Example: a man was filled with “devils”… it should have said “demons” because there is only one devil. However the main context was a man possessed. So we come to the same view of what is being said. And as Peter said, a thousand years is as but a day and night to the Lord. It can probably be any length he declares. And if so then Jesus never lied about coming back quickly. While they say he delays his return because look how long he has been gone now! Well, it’s only been 2 days when you see things from Gods point of view, which is wisdom imho.
    Yeah, lots of "God can do whatever he wants'" thoughts. True. He can. But This translation error makes much more sense so we dont HAVE to bend what science tells us. And of course it will be used against us by nonbelievers.

Using the original text allows us to talk to science minded folks using language we can all agree on. If you try to tell them the earth was created in 144 hours using "magic" (their words) they will laugh. But when you can point out common ground that we can both agree on, (that the bible doesnt actually state how long it took) it takes away the doubt and allows the discussion to progress farther. "Yes. Given it was 6 periods of time, your scientific proof the earth is 4.4 billion years matches the bible."

Last edited:

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville

Sounds like Dr. Hugh Ross.
    It's been a while since I've seen them, but I enjoyed watching his "Reasons to Believe" videos.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Wait a minute. It seems you jumped from Revelation to Genesis which is translating Greek vs translating Hebrew. Or do I misunderstand what you are saying?

But please give us the verse references where some versions mistranslated day in revelation.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, lots of "God can do whatever he wants'" thoughts. True. He can. But This translation error makes much more sense so we dont HAVE to bend what science tells us. And of course it will be used against us by nonbelievers.

Using the original text allows us to talk to science minded folks using language we can all agree on. If you try to tell them the earth was created in 144 hours using "magic" (their words) they will laugh. But when you can point out common ground that we can both agree on, (that the bible doesnt actually state how long it took) it takes away the doubt and allows the discussion to progress farther. "Yes. Given it was 6 periods of time, your scientific proof the earth is 4.4 billion years matches the bible."
    The only problem is that there is no scientific proof of the earth being so old. It is a speculation built on a lot of assumptions.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sorry man, but your entire premise is flawed. Maybe what is happening in America is all a part of Gods plan? God has raised nations just to bring them down in order to bring glory to himself.

As to 2 Chron. 7:14, America is not Israel. We are not God’s people. That verse does not apply to us.

I disagree with this.

It is my belief that under the new covenant, followers of Jesus are God's children. Those who reject him fall into the same camp as all the rest that reject him.

As for what to do with our current situation? God swore off the kind of intervention that he partook in with Sodom and Gamora, until he choses to return. I believe he left our fate in our own hands until judgement day, at least for the bigger picture stuff. If we as a society wish to look away and embrace wickedness, he will allow us to do so.

It's important to be accountable for your own actions and the results of your actions, rather than hallucinate that it's all part of a plan to shirk off responsibility. We are where we are today as a result of our own actions, and to get back on track, it will take accepting that responsibility and doing what is right going forward with a lesson learned in the process.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wait a minute. It seems you jumped from Revelation to Genesis which is translating Greek vs translating Hebrew. Or do I misunderstand what you are saying?

But please give us the verse references where some versions mistranslated day in revelation.
    Yes. I chose to illustrate other examples of translation errors that may affect our understanding of the bible as English speakers. Any my translation also may not have been Hebrew as I recall. It could have been Aramaic.

But is it really that critical? As said upthread, I believe Mr Ross was one of those who discussed the nuances. In my case it was a talk I listened to YEARS ago, so I cant post a reference to it. You are welcome to continue to believe that the KJV and others are 110% accurate and words with vague meanings may or may not have been translated into a language with no such vague words. :rolleyes:

Is it REALLY that important to you that the bible claims that earth was created in 144 hours (with an additional rest period of 24 hours) and not six (seven) "periods of time"? :scratch:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    It is important to note that as Jesus left this earth to return to the Father, he said, and this is not a quote, I will not leave you helpless but give unto you the Holy Spirit (the comforter) who will lead you unto all truth. He also said that if He did not go, the comforter could not come.

I have said for a long time that mankind cannot govern himself, he needs God to be successful at anything. He gave Israel the opportunity to be lead by Him but the people wanted a human king like all of the other nations, and it was their downfall.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    The only problem is that there is no scientific proof of the earth being so old. It is a speculation built on a lot of assumptions.
    I had a great write up on this using Hebrew and Greek and many translations however Google has decided to erase it after all these years. But there are 2 camps, Old earth and new earth believers. I have talked to both and personally have always been old earth as in taking more than just a 24 hr. day. Each day was the beginning and end. However the Sun was not even created until the 4th day, we get our 24 day by earths rotation using the sun....so what measure did God use before this? Notice I did not say God created the light on the 4th day, but rather the sun and moon and stars, so now one has to ask what was the light created.....becasue its apparent it was not the sun and moon and stars. But there are those who believe all was done in 144 hours all 7 literal 24 hr. days. Regardless it doesn't really matter, salvation is not dependent on which way you believe on the matter. And my 2 cents is all this carbon dating and such is all a hoax and very flawed, and a number of scientist have confirmed this, in the end its all guess work.

Last edited:

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I have said for a long time that mankind cannot govern himself, he needs God to be successful at anything. He gave Israel the opportunity to be lead by Him but the people wanted a human king like all of the other nations, and it was their downfall.
    They wanted to be like all the other nations. Well they got their king and all the encumbrances that God told them they'd have to accept.
    I also seem to remember something like...
    There was no king in Israel and every man did what was right in his own sight.

That didn't turn out very well for them.
    No absolute authority and everyone doing as they please. Hmm, I've heard that tune before.

Top Bottom