At least a dozen injured on Westminster Bridge near UK Parliament, attacker shot

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    But if we keep it to the Church of England, we can impute some blame on the Queen. Any time we can have a conspiracy theory that includes the House of Windsor, we have a winner. Don't get me started on what they did to poor Diana.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's interesting to note that the police officer who was stabbed, and killed, was an "unarmed officer".
    Then several "armed officers" came and killed the attacker.

I wonder if the UK will rethink their whole "let's arm just some of our cops but have them wear the same uniform" deal.

Did the attacker picked that officer because he was unarmed or was it just the first officer he saw? :dunno:

Of course an armed officer, taken by surprise, could have been killed too in that situation.
    But at least a gun gives you better a better chance of success against a knife (depending of distance).
    It sure beats pepper spray (which apparently not all unarmed officers can carry since it's classified as a firearm).

The individual, a man wearing black clothes, exited the vehicle and entered the grounds of the nearby New Palace Yard, where he stabbed Keith Palmer, an unarmed police officer, with a knife. After warning the attacker, two armed police officers shot the man four times

Like the saying goes, it takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a Hyundai and a knife.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I wonder if the UK will rethink their whole "let's arm just some of our cops but have them wear the same uniform" deal.

The police carry Glock M17s.

Some are visible, most carry concealed so the a-holes from California and New York City can take selfies and talk about how enlightened the UK is on social media.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Just very few are armed.Mostly the ones guarding government buildings, nuclear power plants and sensitive sites.
    Your average UK (besides Northen Island where they are all armed I think, plus armored cars) cop just carries a baton and pepper spray.
    You also have PSCOs who are not even allowed to carry pepper spray and a baton.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Clicked on something earlier that I didn't know what it'd be... and ****...

I can watch people get shot, and it doesn't phase me much. It's... I dunno... not all that shocking. But I saw a quick vid of a stabbing murder from a security cam... and just... it makes me rethink when/where I carry even more. I never want to be the victim of something like that. It's so incredibly brutal and agonizing.

I don't know if the cop that died was armed or not. It's possible he was, and was just surprised. I just can't imagine a high-risk target like an officer being unarmed.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    We're police officers. We're not trained to handle that kind of violence!

[video=youtube;ldMKkfPSB7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldMKkfPSB7E[/video]

Never understood the unarmed police officer thing, or unarmed security for that matter.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Clicked on something earlier that I didn't know what it'd be... and ****...

I can watch people get shot, and it doesn't phase me much. It's... I dunno... not all that shocking. But I saw a quick vid of a stabbing murder from a security cam... and just... it makes me rethink when/where I carry even more. I never want to be the victim of something like that. It's so incredibly brutal and agonizing.

I don't know if the cop that died was armed or not. It's possible he was, and was just surprised. I just can't imagine a high-risk target like an officer being unarmed.

Guns have pretty limited success against a determined knife wielding attacker that knows what they are doing.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    We're police officers. We're not trained to handle that kind of violence!

[video=youtube;dlyMZNURdmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlyMZNURdmc[/video]

Never understood the unarmed police officer thing, or unarmed security for that matter.

Can you really blame the police in that situation? They really didn't have to deal with that stuff.
    And for a silly movie, it has some predictions. people that need to be reassured. Thinking violence can be "handled". Speech restrictions.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Can you really blame the police in that situation? They really didn't have to deal with that stuff.
    And for a silly movie, it has some predictions. people that need to be reassured. Thinking violence can be "handled". Speech restrictions.

Can't blame them a bit. Hard to handle something you aren't trained for and never experienced.

When that movie first came out my friends and I loved it, we laughed at all the sillyness and the *****fication the society became. When I watch it now I almost want to cry.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I hope they take a look at the whole unarmed officer thing. That is messed up thinking.

It's not that easy to change and would be very expensive if they wanted to arm every single officer.
    They have very few facilities where they can train.Their police academies and police stations don't have shooting ranges.
    There's also a lack of firearms instructors.
    No to mention the cost of guns themselves, parts, armorers etc.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's not that easy to change and would be very expensive if they wanted to arm every single officer.
    They have very few facilities where they can train.Their police academies and police stations don't have shooting ranges.

It's cheaper than watching society fail.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's similar to calling black people "negro". It's not as bad as that other word and some members of the race are even ok with it, but it's best to avoid. However it is ok to use it to refer to things (e.g. Oriental rugs).

Which, oddly enough are generally from what we would consider the Middle East (ie. Persian rugs).

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

Perhaps they can use all the money they saved the last decade(s) by not properly equipping their police officers.

Decisions have consequences, bad decisions have bad consequences. Wonder how they feel about those antigun/PC leaders today?

Top Bottom