• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Can I start posting Hitchens and Dawkins or would peoples' heads explode?

Depends on the quote, I think. I remember reading a bit of Dawkin's works, and he was not the most diplomatic person in the world when debating a given religion vs. Atheism. Obviously I've survived reading his words without a cranial pressure overload, but then I relish the challenge to defend my faith intelligently rather than being offended that someone somewhere strongly believes differently than me.

Seriously, to contend that it's a religion is either a deliberate attempt to confuse the gullible by butchering the language or just plain ignorance. Where's the dogma? The ritual? The rites? The pantheon? It meets none of the criteria of a religion.

To quote from dictionary.com...

Atheism:
    1. The doctrine or belief that there is no god.
    2. Disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

What you are saying is that it does not meet the traditional or layman's concept of religion: it has no god, it has no set ritual that must take place or place of worship. That does not make the argument I or others have made invalid simply because you reject the definitions of both religion and Atheism provided by a secular source.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'm talking about the situation in this thread. They aren't asking to replace the cross with the atheist symbol, they are asking you to be decent enough to place a cross and make it a christian monument.

Actually, yes. I promise you that you would **** a brick if atheists wanted to place an atheist symbol on the monument. Of course your response will be "nu uh", but we already know that.

Understand that an atheist is many times, someone who was tired of having the religious beat down their door to tell them a mixed bag of stories that they didn't buy. There is more to it, but I'm keeping my replies short.

You're an atheist, and no it is not a religion. It is lack of faith, lack of belief. Atheists don't have to prove that a god doesn't exist, yet the religious have to prove that one does. It is easily understood.

Nope.avi

Nice roundabout way of calling me a liar. Seems to me you are just a wee bit bigoted toward Christians, and see the sins of some, in all.

How very logical and reasoned of you. :cool:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    An atheism vs theism debate! Wow! And the internet forum is guaranteed to advance the understanding of each position by all!

Well let me offer my own research! Its completely anecdotal (which means mostly made up) but I think it makes sense so here goes!

God is the subject that separates Atheists and theists. Its right in the words, Theos is Greek for God and was the word used to translate the tetragrammon hebrew YHWH (yahweh or jehovah) in the Septuagint scriptures. In the greek language the letter A negates the word (similar to non in english) Theist-Atheist, sense-nonsense, compliant-noncompliant. etc.

So on these forums what unites Atheists and Theists? Guns.
    What else unites Athiests and Theists? Many believe in using their Guns for Self Defense.
    Why is that? Because there is another thing that unites Atheists and Theists, Death. WE are all gonna die. Here comes another separation in the belief systems. A Theist believes in life after death usually in some state of bliss granted by a deity. Most Athiests discount this and believe this life is all there is.

SO MY CONCLUSION based on my rigorous research? Theists tend to be more likely to carry weapons smaller than .380 as SD weapons because they tend to view death as a doorway to something else while Atheists tend to like 40s and 45s because this life is all they have and they want to be sure to protect it.....

Perhaps I should set up a poll to finalize my research.

Seriously, does anyone here think you will convince a member of the opposition to join your side through this forum? I am a Christian but I do not believe that in a forum I will convince someone that GOD exists, just as I don't believe I will be convinced that creation ex nihilio can be explained with the scientific method.

So back to the matter at hand. IF its public property and there is interest by a religious group to place a memorial on it to the dead and if the dead included among their number representative of that religious group, then atheists should be TOLERANT. Yes the monument should be tastefully done ie it should not be the center of attention. For full disclosure I am a Christian but I would have no issue with Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist monuments to their dead. Why? because the public is made up of all of us and it is PUBLIC property.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    An atheism vs theism debate! Wow! And the internet forum is guaranteed to advance the understanding of each position by all!

Well let me offer my own research! Its completely anecdotal (which means mostly made up) but I think it makes sense so here goes!

God is the subject that separates Atheists and theists. Its right in the words, Theos is Greek for God and was the word used to translate the tetragrammon hebrew YHWH (yahweh or jehovah) in the Septuagint scriptures. In the greek language the letter A negates the word (similar to non in english) Theist-Atheist, sense-nonsense, compliant-noncompliant. etc.

So on these forums what unites Atheists and Theists? Guns.
    What else unites Athiests and Theists? Many believe in using their Guns for Self Defense.
    Why is that? Because there is another thing that unites Atheists and Theists, Death. WE are all gonna die. Here comes another separation in the belief systems. A Theist believes in life after death usually in some state of bliss granted by a deity. Most Athiests discount this and believe this life is all there is.

SO MY CONCLUSION based on my rigorous research? Theists tend to be more likely to carry weapons smaller than .380 as SD weapons because they tend to view death as a doorway to something else while Atheists tend to like 40s and 45s because this life is all they have and they want to be sure to protect it.....

Perhaps I should set up a poll to finalize my research.

Seriously, does anyone here think you will convince a member of the opposition to join your side through this forum? I am a Christian but I do not believe that in a forum I will convince someone that GOD exists, just as I don't believe I will be convinced that creation ex nihilio can be explained with the scientific method.

So back to the matter at hand. IF its public property and there is interest by a religious group to place a memorial on it to the dead and if the dead included among their number representative of that religious group, then atheists should be TOLERANT. Yes the monument should be tastefully done ie it should not be the center of attention. For full disclosure I am a Christian but I would have no issue with Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist monuments to their dead. Why? because the public is made up of all of us and it is PUBLIC property.

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing.

I'm truly sick and tired of the debate and it's not what I posted the newsblurb for. It was not posted so people can debate the existence of God. I should have seen that one coming from the start and will never post something like this again.

I feel the same as you. But I also thought it was uncanny that atheists would be offended by something they have no stake in. I feel it is just another attempt at being the mouse who roared.

Thanks again for posting. I pray this thread can die now. HA! Mods? Mods? Please kill this, would you? Thank you, thankyouverymuch!

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    It's not technically a discussion on religion, per se. Couple that with the fact that it has remained both restrained and civil, and I think the mods are letting it run its course. I'm sure it will be locked the nanosecond after the first aspersions are cast.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    And on the fifth post you said they (anyone who doesn't share your beliefs) are going to hell.

Close but not quite. The question of the thread (read first post), if atheists don't believe, why are they so sensitive about the cross. I answered because it reminds them they are going to hell. I thought it was obviously a glib remark. I think most people recognized that as there was no reaction at all until a few pages or so later.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom