• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Well, I went in to the shop this morning as I do every Sunday to catch up on paperwork, clean, etc. I pull in and get ready to unload when I look over and notice a chunk of window missing and glass all over the sidewalk. It was pretty obvious what had taken place. I went in and called the police. This is the fifteenth time in the past ten months that someone has tried to brreak in. It is getting really old and frustrating. Luckily no one has ever gotten in or stolen anything. It has cost me thousands of dollars in repairing the damage they leave behind. The I have spent thousands more on added security. This does not sit well with me as I can not stand a lazy thief. It is easier to steal than to work for something. I work my ass off with this business and everytime you turn around it seems someone is trying to break in and steal from me. The money that has been spent making repairs or adding to the security is money that does not go back in to the business to buy inventory or whatever. You would think that after 15 attempts that I know of and no success they would give up. I have pictures of the window in my album. I have a video as well. Shows the guy casually walking up to the window around 1:30 with a shovel in his loser hand. He takes a good 6 or 7 swings before he finally breaks the glass. The sets the shovel down, and trys to push up on the locked steel roll down door. He then picks up his shovel and as casually as he walked up, walks off and heads back to wherever he came from. And of course no one saw anything.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Do you have an alarm? Did it go off? Sorry to hear about your troubles. My friend owns a shop in Speedway and has had numerous break ins and attempted break ins as well. I know how much of a PITA it is.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Yes we have an alarm. It did not go off since where he was at there was no motion sensor or glass break detector. That will change tomorrow.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I would love to booby trap the place but was told although it would be funny I might get in to a little bit of trouble. It would be a shame I guess to see a thief lose an arm, leg, or his head.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    does the area around the broken glass smell like french fries?
    No. But there were these weird clown like looking footprints leaving the crime scene as well as several empty burger wrappers. Huh, wonder what that could all be about. Just kidding of course. Would have been funnier that way though.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    At least they didn't try what they did at my store, the dirtbags backed a stolen truck right through the doors and security gate...talk about some expensive repairs. Then they damaged more guns than they stole breaking into showcases.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    get some mirrors, smoke machine and green laser pointers, at night power on the pointers and the fog machine and have it so the beam bounces all over and looks like the movie laser grids... completely pointless but most thieves are stupid and will think you have the most awesomest security system ever

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    i bet there are some perfectly good pitbullls to live in your store overnite at the local pound. guard dogs should be legal

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    personally id go with mastiffs though. very loyal, not normally destructive, bred to protect castles, and really fing big.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    At least they didn't try what they did at my store, the dirtbags backed a stolen truck right through the doors and security gate...talk about some expensive repairs. Then they damaged more guns than they stole breaking into showcases.

Thats what they did at Bradis years ago when I worked there, they damaged everything left in the cases. We had to have a big scratch and ding sale....

OP,

Sorry this happended, to me with the items they are going after they should be shot on the scene.... but not sure if many here remember Del from Del's Guns that used to be up on N. Shadeland?

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I hate that. We have steel concrete poles buried 4 feet into the ground out front so that should stop that. But when they were taking the report the one officer kept saying over and over, they are going to drive something into the building you just wait and see. I told him they might be able to fit a motorcycle or a scooter between the poles but nothing else will fit. He kept saying it is going to happen. I finally just let it go and let him believe it. I am completely frustrated with the cost of repairs though everytime this happens.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    get some mirrors, smoke machine and green laser pointers, at night power on the pointers and the fog machine and have it so the beam bounces all over and looks like the movie laser grids... completely pointless but most thieves are stupid and will think you have the most awesomest security system ever
    I looked in to a system called flash fog. Although it is really cool and will screw you up when it goes off it is just way out of my budget right now. It is a pretty affective system though.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Thats what they did at Bradis years ago when I worked there, they damaged everything left in the cases. We had to have a big scratch and ding sale....

OP,

Sorry this happended, to me with the items they are going after they should be shot on the scene.... but not sure if many here remember Del from Del's Guns that used to be up on N. Shadeland?
    It makes you mad and is extremely frustrating with all of the damage they do but they don't care. The theif is not losing sleep over it. I heard the story about the owner of the shop on Shadeland. If I was told correctly he basically had several breakins then started staying at the shop and sleeping there. One night bingo he caught and shot a bad guy and if I understand correctly the end result was not good for him. He lost his shop and all of that good stuff. All because instead of working for a living some loser theif was trying to take what belonged to him that he had worked hard for to have.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Is it the same window everytime? Setup a motion sensor that trips a solenoid that fires off a fire extinguisher in their face or something? Id be getting a bit agitated as well.
    Nope different window. They always hit the one that has lettering on it whch adds to the expense of fixing it. The ones in the middle do not have lettering but they never hit those.

Top Bottom