• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Many many years ago I went to a local range to help a coworker practice to qualify the next day. She was nervous and needed to shoot a course or two. We ran down to the local public range, she paid the fee and I was behind her watching and coaching. A different instructor walked up, I was in full uniform mind you, and was immediately advised to unload my weapon or leave. I told the rather rude individual that I was not there to shoot only to instruct her for about 60rds and would be leaving. "well we are NRA instructors here and we will teach her the right way" while he attempted to step in-between me and the shooter thinking a hand on the chest and a push to try to move me was a good idea. Needless to say he was corrected and the matter was brought to the attention of the supervisor after I was finished dealing with him. You will find this in all aspects of our sport. Be it khaki clad bearded warrior operations that served in Delta Range Force Recon 6 in the Battle of Guam or the all black Steven Segal Ninja operative. There is indeed a segment of our community that has no clue and needs hovering and minding. This needs to be balanced and adjusted for the situation. Good instructors recognize this. Others do not and hopefully go away to teach how to roll out of a truck or somersault with ar-15's in unison. .

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    BTW, not that I go nearly often enough, but I seldom see this at MCF&G.

I've seen it a couple of times at MCF&G. About a year ago, there were a couple of old guys that would watch you shoot in the pistol bays and would let you know of all sorts of infractions they imagined were happening. They were applying the main line rules to the pistol bays. It got to the point where I finally photographed exactly what we were doing and sent it off to Chris and confirmed that we were in compliance with the rules and the two old guys were simply wrong. The range nazi mentality exists everywhere when someone feels superior to someone else and believes they have a right to exert that superiority. It's more of a 'King of the World' mindset than anything.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've had a GIF of this for quite a while I've been waiting to use on here... but looks like you need it (for the OP) more than me:

OqGhKlt.gif

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    That is a wide paint brush, and I would rather risk offending you than get shot. I have seen some serious fails at the range. Safety is EVERYONE'S responsibility. Don't be offended, or take it personally. If you jump down someone's throat about calling something out, then that person may not bother next time, which could have bad results.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I usually shoot at ecpr. Most of the time I don't have any issues, the RSOs have really never hovered around me when shooting especially if you present yourself as knowledgeable about safety.

I rather have someone be overly safe at a public range (though yelling "going hot" every time, when the range is already hot is a quite excessive), then do something that could jeopardize safety.... while it might be annoying as heck.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    I rarely have been to a public range in the past 25+ years - between shooting at my PD's ranges or living in the country. Last year went back to CA to qualify for my 5yr CA CCW. My old department has a 6 lane indoor range. My nephew wanted to go shooting so I went to a public range. They had it very controlled, in a good way. There is a red line and when they call cease fire and bench all weapons everyone then has to stand behind the line. There is a 'control booth' that oversees the 3 different ranges. They also have RSO's walking around making sure folks stay away from the benches while folks are downrange. I did not see them hovering, shouting or interjecting themselves into the shooters bizz. But, they were very watchful for safety issues, as it should be.

I will have to look for either a public range or private club once I get to IN in the next couple of weeks. A far cry from walking out my front door and :ar15:, literally. And it was nice being able to teach my blind/visually impaired wife to shoot w/o worrying about anyone else around!! Boy, she's a fan of an AR vs. Tannerite!

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    If you are a member of the club where I shoot-------you have been given--a set of rules---and a 1 hour orientation speech---and there are rules posted all over the covered firing line----------I guess I am a range(grouch)officer-------a minor infraction("cease fire")and you dont clear your firearm and put it down,I will politely give you a warning------handle the FIREARM while someone is downrange(dont give a dam if its cleared,and you are putting away)--I will yell at you----------fire a firearm while cease fire has been called(and all persons have heard the command)you will lose your electronic key......refuse to leave when ordered to do so,you will have to explain to the Sheriff

"cease fire"-----to be obeyed without question------period-----------I am the guy with the orange hat that says "RSO"( RANGE SAFETY OFFICER)---I WILL make the range as safe as I possibly can for everyone

next time you see me at the range --just ask,I will give you my pay for being a RSO-----------oh wait,I VOLUNTEER MY TIME to help keep the range safe

tallend:popcorn:

Ditto....As someone popular once said "I feel your pain".

Edit to add...

Since becoming an RSO and volunteering at my local club, I have been astounded at the level of stupid that people have. I mean, drooling, caveman like, barely functioning brain waves, can't tie their shoes, barely able to function in life, a bowl movement may tax their IQ, Nicki Minaj fans level of stupid.

We recently overhauled the 50yr range at our club. When we did, we put concrete blocks from the backstop to 15 yards out. Shortly after we opened I had to correct someone because they were putting their targets on the end of the concrete blocks rather than on the cardboard at the backstop. Thank God I caught it before any rounds went downrange. We since had to paint "NO SHOOT" on the end of the concrete blocks.

Since we are a private range, I tend to see the same people. If someone is new and I don't know them, I will hover for a period of time to see if they know what they are doing. If they seem to have their stuff together, then I watch from a distance. But I have had to hang out next to people as well to correct the mistakes they are making every other minute. Thankfully this is rare and I am lucky to be at a range mostly full of safe and competent people.

I can tell you as an RSO, I would rather have someone think I am a (insert expletive here) rather than have someone get shot or killed while I am on duty. Having some fun at the range is not worth your life or the life of anyone else at the range.

Last edited:

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    A couple of times at Tri-County DBR range, I had guys handling their rifles while I was down range setting up new targets. I've been barrel sweeped with loaded 12 guage shotguns.

About 8 years ago at the same range I was on shorter rifle range with several people on long range. Notified them I was going down range to change target. While putting up new target one ******* popped off a round. I started screaming at them. They didn't see a problem with that...not unsafe they said. Explained gently to them my thoughts, packed up, left , and have ever been back. It is what prompted me the join my local private club.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Edit to add...

Since becoming an RSO and volunteering at my local club, I have been astounded at the level of stupid that people have. I mean, drooling, caveman like, barely functioning brain waves, can't tie their shoes, barely able to function in life, a bowl movement may tax their IQ, Nicki Minaj fans level of stupid.

We recently overhauled the 50yr range at our club. When we did, we put concrete blocks from the backstop to 15 yards out. Shortly after we opened I had to correct someone because they were putting their targets on the end of the concrete blocks rather than on the cardboard at the backstop. Thank God I caught it before any rounds went downrange. We since had to paint "NO SHOOT" on the end of the concrete blocks.

Since we are a private range, I tend to see the same people. If someone is new and I don't know them, I will hover for a period of time to see if they know what they are doing. If they seem to have their stuff together, then I watch from a distance. But I have had to hang out next to people as well to correct the mistakes they are making every other minute. Thankfully this is rare and I am lucky to be at a range mostly full of safe and competent people.

I can tell you as an RSO, I would rather have someone think I am a (insert expletive here) rather than have someone get shot or killed while I am on duty. Having some fun at the range is not worth your life or the life of anyone else at the range.

Being a private club I don't know why you are having any issues at all. Get rid of them or better screen applicants.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Edit to add...

Sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it that annoys people.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I guess I have just been fortunate when it comes to public ranges, as I have been shooting at the Winamac state range for 20+ years and have never had a bad experience such as what you all describe. Hope I never do.:)

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I'm fortunate enough to be a member of the Izaak Walton League. It's really pretty simple. You read a set of safety rules and sign a paper that you have read them. There is no RO and no formal "Go" or "No Go" commands. Everyone that shoots there pays an annual membership fee and we are very self-policing. We communicate. Guns get unloaded, chambers opened, and placed down on the bench. We go down range, replace or remove targets, and when the "thumbs up" goes down the firing line, we start shooting again. I have honestly never seen anyone screw up, but if someone was unfortunate enough to violate the safety rues, I have no doubt there would be enough voices to leave a lasting impression on the offender. These stories of idiots and Mall Ninja RO's give me a headache.

gundoc111

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2014
    Indy
    Late 1980's I was at the Dons range at 96th and Keystone. They put 3 drunk KIDS, 2 guys 1 girl, who also smelled like pot next to me. I politely asked them 2-3 times to watch where the muzzle was pointed. They continued so I left. Checking out I told the manager about them. Not much of a reply there after all the clock was running. On the news that night I heard where the girl dropped one of the guns, it went off, and she caught a round in the femur bleeding to death before the EMT's got there.

I am no longer a 'range nazi.' if you want to shoot yourself, or your friends, I will be long gone.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Strange how you can go someplace and interact with other people dozen of times with not a single issue.
    Hell, even... "Hey, you want to shoot my gun?" or "hey, does your son want to shoot my rifle?"
    Everybody pretty much minds their business and goes about their interactions with each other following pretty simple and straight forward rules....

Then you get one guy that shows up and acts like King Cock and pisses off everybody around him. Don't be that guy.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I hope to never come off as a "range nazi", especially when I'm trying to teach someone the basics.

Secondly, I was at Wilbur Wright range Saturday and experienced someone walking off the range with an air rifle, booger hook squarely on the bang switch. As he walked away from the bench, he bounced said bang switch on his booger hook, causing the air rifle to go off, causing all of us to exclaim the same phrase....WTF. His response was..."oops, forgot the rifle was charged". DNR guy was in his truck reading and had NO idea what had happened.

as an after thought, are there any private ranges worth being a member of near Greenfield that I could look into joining? I like WW, but with my work schedule, WW isn't always a good option for me.

Top Bottom