• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yes but I also heard it is quite unstable and goes off as soon as someone touches it

GQAw.gif

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Explosion reported in Austin, at least 2 injured | Fox News

...At least two men suffered serious injuries Sunday night after a reported explosion in southwestern Austin, Texas, emergency workers said.
    Crews did not immediately confirm whether the explosion was the result of a package bomb. Three such blasts over the past month in Austin have killed two people and critically wounded at least two women.

Sunday's reported explosion unfolded on Dawn Song Drive, the Austin-Travis County EMS tweeted. "At this incident, 2 patients have been identified and are prepping those patients for transport."...

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    More from the explosions last night, and police chief's statement:

Austin explosions: Police investigating blasts ask residents to stay inside

Police told residents of a neighborhood in southwest Austin to stay at home until 10 a.m. (11 a.m. ET) Monday after the fourth explosion in less than a month hit Texas' capital, injuring two men.

In a late-night news conference on Sunday, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley raised the possibility that a tripwire triggered the device in Travis County.

“We will not be able to send school buses into the neighborhood on Monday,” he said. “In addition to that, we're going to ask the residents in the Travis County neighborhood to stay in your homes tomorrow morning and give us the opportunity to process the scene once the sun comes up.”

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If this bomber were going for maximum casualties, I can't figure out why they aren't targeting SXSW.

This really seems like some sort of targeting.

The City of Austin has demographic distribution maps on their site:
    Demographic Maps | Planning and Zoning | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

If you look at the percentage African-American, it doesn't really show much concentration in the areas where the bombs went off. But, if you look at the absolute number map, the distribution looks similar to the map of the bombs. At least, it traces the same curve.

That means it may be a perception issue by the bomber. The bombs are in areas with a high number of African-Americans, but not necessarily a high concentration. That explains why people keep floating a racial motivation for the bombs.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'll be interested to see who the intended victims of this lastest bombing were, if LE can make that determination.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    With the idea of tripwires being floated, it sounds more random.

Maybe, maybe not. Two guys on bikes were injured this time, by apparently a "roadside bomb." If it was a tripwire, then the area either isn't well traveled, or they triggered the device shortly after it was placed. My bet is that the area isn't well traveled, and there was someone in mind for this "gift." If we assume the first 2 were targeted, it's difficult for me to imagine, that the bomber would go random (unless to throw off LE). Have they released a general area on this last bombing yet?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Here's one map.

article-explosion6-0319.jpg

Here's another one that appears to have a possible route associated with it.

screen-shot-2018-03-19-at-1-45-49-am.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If this bomber were going for maximum casualties, I can't figure out why they aren't targeting SXSW...

What's the LEO/security situation at SXSW? Much higher chance of being caught?

But targeting? More than plausible. If this were an episode of "Blue Bloods" or "Person of Interest"...or any other CBS crime show, there would be either one target and the rest is misdirection, or all of the victims would have some mysterious connection.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What's the LEO/security situation at SXSW? Much higher chance of being caught?

But targeting? More than plausible. If this were an episode of "Blue Bloods" or "Person of Interest"...or any other CBS crime show, there would be either one target and the rest is misdirection, or all of the victims would have some mysterious connection.

2 of the families were acquaintances.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, initially there were reports of a connection between the first two bombs, but I haven't seen anything more on that.

I keep going back to the DC sniper. The first victim (and maybe the second, IIRC) was known to the shooter and an intentional target. With that "snap"/psychotic break, started the entire string of random (thereafter) shootings. Not really for misdirection, I think. More just target of opportunity.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    To follow up on Kut's statement, I did a quick search and the first 2 go to the same church and may have a family connection. The pastor (or someone connected to the church) said that the 3rd may also have targeted someone in the family, but didn't state who. I read somewhere else that the lady who was the victim of that bomb was not the person it was left for. Like, it was a little old lady picking up the package for a neighbor or something.

If that's the case - all 3 had some connection - the 4th "tripwire" bomb seems like misdirection. Or just doing it for fun now. (At least 1 report says the victims of that one were white.)

Also, this most recent bomb has been described as more technically sophisticated than the others.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I believe the actual victims were white males.

I do not believe they've identified any "intended targets."

Now, if the bomb was set off remotely, rather than by tripwire, then those white males could be considered the intended targets. Until then, I think that is more accurately categorized as random.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I believe the actual victims were white males.

I do not believe they've identified any "intended targets."

Now, if the bomb was set off remotely, rather than by tripwire, then those white males could be considered the intended targets. Until then, I think that is more accurately categorized as random.

Hence why I used intended targets.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Manley said on "GMA" that the victims in Sunday night's bombing were both white, while the previous blast victims were black or Hispanic. Race could still be a factor in the bombings, he added.

"We've said from the beginning that we're not willing to rule anything out just because when you rule something out you limit your focus," Manley said. "So this does change the concerns that we had initially although we have still not ruled it out until we understand what the ideology and motive is behind the suspect or suspects."
    The three previous bombings this month, over an 11-day period, killed two people and injured two others.

Those three bombs were left as packages on doorsteps, while Manley said Sunday's device was different: It was placed on the side of the road. The victims were injured either while riding their bikes, or pushing them, Manley said.
    "It is very possible that this device was activated by someone handling or triggering a tripwire," Manley said, adding that the mechanism used to set off the explosion remained "unconfirmed."
    Tripwire may have triggered latest explosion in Austin that injured 2 men: Officials - ABC News

From the TexasCHLforum.com where I hangout:
    This one tonight was 5 houses away. Very loud blast and houses shook. Have never seen so many Police, FBI, and ATF in one spot. From what we are told, it may be into the day tomorrow before we can leave this area of the subdivision.
    TX: Package bombs in Austin - Page 2 - TexasCHLforum.com

This one went off in front of my co-workers house. She and her family are safe. She said it was an IED with trip wires.
    TX: Package bombs in Austin - Page 2 - TexasCHLforum.com

Top Bottom