Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Between the terrorist active shooter and jewelry thief UPS truck hijackers, there have been a lot or rounds shot by bad guys in Florida last week.

Think you'd be OK in the thick of one of those messes with your wheel gun?

Stop throwing facts around. It complicates what people to believe.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Of course they would, they’d draw and dispatch the dastardly villains just like Dick Tracy, 30 yards and shooting the guns out of the bad guys hands.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Between the terrorist active shooter and jewelry thief UPS truck hijackers, there have been a lot or rounds shot by bad guys in Florida last week.

Think you'd be OK in the thick of one of those messes with your wheel gun?

My prayers go out to the families and victims of the recent shootings in Florida as I feel for all victims of these deadly crimes. I also feel bad for the many law enforcement that had to deal with this ugly part of the streets.
    Whether it be a GFZ on base or a defenseless Delivery Man, the three perps required one each of lethal rounds.
    Every thing else is attempted tactics good and bad as it played out. May the good souls rest in peace.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have never been in a “average” gun fight?

Everyone is like a snowflake !

IME
    Humans can be much tougher than you think!
    I have never thought “wish I had less rounds” during a fight!
    A person tends to lose marksmanship skills when getting shot at and often makes up for it with volume of fire.
    Pistols are defensive secondary weapons even a full size - full power pistol sucks!
    Headshots work!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This guy took 7 rounds at bad breath distance and still made it out the door to the parking lot.

Fortunately it only took one round for him to realize he had better places to be, but had he wanted to stay in the fight he had the opportunity to do so.

[video=youtube_share;WqVykFBZYAg]http://youtu.be/WqVykFBZYAg[/video]

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    the three perps required one each of lethal rounds.
    Every thing else is attempted tactics good and bad as it played out.
    So I suppose with your superior training and marksmanship, you know exactly which one of your rounds is the lethal one needed? I suppose you’ve won all of your gunfights up until now? :rolleyes:

There are are multiple cases of people with your lethal wounds still killling after receiving said lethal wound. The FBI Miami shootout was one. Suspect Platts’ first wound was lethal, but not immediately, he kept in the fight while his lungs filled with blood.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have never been in a “average” gun fight?

Everyone is like a snowflake !

IME
    Humans can be much tougher than you think!
    I have never thought “wish I had less rounds” during a fight!
    A person tends to lose marksmanship skills when getting shot at and often makes up for it with volume of fire.
    Pistols are defensive secondary weapons even a full size - full power pistol sucks!
    Headshots work!
    And yet even headshots aren’t 100%.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Keith Wood on the back page of Guns and Ammo this month provides examples were the round count was high in SD encounters.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Looks like this thread agrees for the most part that a gunfight can take between 1 and an infinite number of rounds to win. It also looks like there is no way to make sure you are in the gunfight that you practiced the scenario for.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    How many rounds were shot in the New Jersey gun fight until the threat was ended?

I understand but to break it down from what I see in these last 3 actions the perp brought the offense to him to end the fight. The first gunfight and robbery/abduction was already won by the perp against citizens. This is the exact moment that matters to CCW’s in which this thread is titled. When it becomes a police/military reaction then round counts can go as high as it takes.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Maybe this should or has been in another thread but I had a question from a student last week that I do not know the statistics. She asked because her purse gun was limited to 5 rounds and wanted to know. What is the average rounds fired by the defender in an actual legal defense action in Indiana? I googled it of course and there many articles on National figures and the data is always cluttered with criminal defenders that spoils the real answer. Any ideas INGO?
    I heard somewhere and repeated it to my customers when I worked in a gun shop: 3-5 shots at 3-5 feet in 3-5 seconds.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    How many rounds were shot in the New Jersey gun fight until the threat was ended?

Respectfully not arguing but since we are talking "Average" I'd say the New Jersey incident wasnt really "average" 2 gunners attacking with fire by volume. Lot different than simple street crime with one or two attempted robbery/car jackers. Or gang land shootings which most folks that legally carry aren't a part of.

There's always an exceptions but for the majority of civilian shootings is still under 5 rounds

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I certainly understand where you low round count gents are coming from also.

Times are changing though. Terrorists and gangs and street thugs are carrying higher capacity more powerful guns.

It's up to you whether you choose to be prepared for this or not. However, pretending this is not happening won't make it not true.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I certainly understand where you low round count gents are coming from also.

Times are changing though. Terrorists and gangs and street thugs are carrying higher capacity more powerful guns.

It's up to you whether you choose to be prepared for this or not. However, pretending this is not happening won't make it not true.
    Cant argue that.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    I heard somewhere, that in police shooting statistics, you can track when the switch from revolvers to semi autos occured, leading to the conclusion that frequently, at least for cops, they shoot the gun till its empty.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom