• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I heard somewhere, that in police shooting statistics, you can track when the switch from revolvers to semi autos occured, leading to the conclusion that frequently, at least for cops, they shoot the gun till its empty.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not exactly true, although there is some instances of that. The data seems to indicate round counts went up because more round could be shot in a given time frame, which is to say the gun fight took the same amount of time but more shots were fired in that given time. Remembering it takes time to decide to realize someone is out of the fight and stop pulling the trigger, if someone is shooting 3 times per second vs 1 time per second, that will show in the stats.

Between the terrorist active shooter and jewelry thief UPS truck hijackers, there have been a lot or rounds shot by bad guys in Florida last week.

Think you'd be OK in the thick of one of those messes with your wheel gun?

Probably just as OK as with any other handgun. Who were the victims in the UPS truck? The driver wouldn't have had a challenging shot vs two carjackers. The person shot in their car in the cross fire? Do you figure more ammunition would have been the deciding factor there?

Let's be honest. Hardware is more fun and easier to control. It's sexy and cool. It's easier to concentrate on. The guy killed in the crossfire died not due to available ammo, or even availability of a gun. He died because he didn't realize what was going on around him and react to seek cover in enough time and his number came up for a stray round. The UPS driver died because he was a hostage. In a parallel universe where he was allowed to carry, chose to do so, and took the fight to the two armed suspects we're to assume that he could not get it done with a revolver because of the volume of fire later exchanged? Software issues aren't sexy. They aren't cool. They don't get marketing. Ee don't have a thread of "hot women practicing good situational awareness" on this forum...but software was the problem that day.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I certainly understand where you low round count gents are coming from also.

Times are changing though. Terrorists and gangs and street thugs are carrying higher capacity more powerful guns.

It's up to you whether you choose to be prepared for this or not. However, pretending this is not happening won't make it not true.

Being prepared is not just carrying 6 or 60 rounds just like owning a guitar does not make you a musician. It is SA, equipment, skill set and practice. Truth be known, if we could adapt a culture where EVERY citizen was trained and armed and bountied to do so then pretty much the derringer would be ample. One must know the difference between personal up close immediate defense, and a terrorist attack as large as these events. We try to stay out of both, however when we are in the terrorist attack you are gonna need more than a CCW with a high cap pistol with NATO friendly ammo, that if it works, his adrenaline will not allow him to be lethal let alone his skill set. Yes these times of criminals having the same or better killing machines than we do are more of a statement of our broken justice system than anything else. And just like INDOT where so many people must die before they put in a traffic signal our society will not appropriate enough funds for education or criminal justice. That leaves the citizen to fend for himself. I have said many times I carry High Cap on occasion but the fact still remains in most personal defense situations for me 12 or 17 rounds total on my person is comforting. We can not forecast when we will be in the middle of a terrorist attack but if we are then unless we brought an Abrams our high cap Dog Bite Cavity Point ammo will make no difference. I am glad we have folks that want to be prepared but the degree of preparedness can not be just a few. I would rather see ALL gunowners be more prepared than they are, not just buy a high cap and a Fobus.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    this Comes down to her personal feelings on safety. If 5 makes her feel safe. Good. If 5 + a speed loader makes her feel safe. Good. (train with the speed loader). If she feels she needs 10+ then aim for that.

more important than all that, I find is situational awareness. You can have a single shot pepper box, and come out 50% better than joe blow, as long as your heads on straight and you know your situation.

persoanlly I say 2-4 rounds per person. Then I’d look at recent patterns of attack. (Rarely single people anymore). Then multiply, round up and bang your there.

Top Bottom