• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If only they could drive it. We have to periodically push them around the yard.
    In Central America they have a restaurant that might fit the bill:
    images

Translates as "chicken farmer." I asked around if that meant the chicken was the farmer or the farmed. No one knew.

:): I would have guessed "Chicken Camper" - like an RV for chickens.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Ours are just shy of 3 weeks old. They’re growing like crazy and the Leghorns are already trying to fly.

[video=youtube_share;ulnb3h0xHWE]http://youtu.be/ulnb3h0xHWE[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Girls are growing fast - they just move into the outdoor coop yesterday afternoon.

Nice!

Maybe someone can explain something - I get having hens, eggs are delicious. But why have one rooster? Across the street from my office (here in the city), is a freakin' annoying rooster in a shed. Why? Why have a rooster in the city? What possible benefit is there?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Nice!

Maybe someone can explain something - I get having hens, eggs are delicious. But why have one rooster? Across the street from my office (here in the city), is a freakin' annoying rooster in a shed. Why? Why have a rooster in the city? What possible benefit is there?

A professional friend had a rooster to protect the girls, being in an area with lots of predators. She came out one morning to find the rooster dead, along with 2 dead raccoons. Girls were unharmed. There are still raccoons and coyotes and possums in the city. I'm not sure the noise offsets the security, though.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A professional friend had a rooster to protect the girls, being in an area with lots of predators. She came out one morning to find the rooster dead, along with 2 dead raccoons. Girls were unharmed. There are still raccoons and coyotes and possums in the city. I'm not sure the noise offsets the security, though.

Yeah, but he's in a fenced in shed, and crows all the time. :xmad:

It's kind of hard to see in the shed, but it looks like he's alone.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, but he's in a fenced in shed, and crows all the time. :xmad:

It's kind of hard to see in the shed, but it looks like he's alone.

We have the same issues but the douchebag neighbor lets the chickens free range. He lost two to a neighbors dog early this week as chickens are not very smart and got over the fence with 2 full grown Rott's. They did not last long. Owner of the chickens was seriously pissed. He was screaming over the fence until we lit into him about his stupid ****ing free range chickens. He retreated into the house.

Damned rooster will not shut up.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    We have the same issues but the douchebag neighbor lets the chickens free range. He lost two to a neighbors dog early this week as chickens are not very smart and got over the fence with 2 full grown Rott's. They did not last long. Owner of the chickens was seriously pissed. He was screaming over the fence until we lit into him about his stupid ****ing free range chickens. He retreated into the house.

I would have cooked it

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

pellet gun to the brain pan, problem solved

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    22 short? But seriously though if the thing is on your property, Roosters are not the most friendly and can cause injury. Ours are free range, in two 10x 10 dog kennels with wire on the roof. Although we do not have a rooster.

I was raised by farm folk. Did not live on the family farm but spent enough time there to understand chickens pigs goats cows and the bull.

Trust if one comes in the yard it is toast.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

The Rotties just wanted to play keep away or catch!

I used to have a male Rottie; one day I was working at my desk in the bedroom and he was in the backyard. I heard him barking and carrying on and then it sounded like a truck had hit the house. I looked out to see him and a huge tom cat going at it. Without going into the really cool details of the fight he killed the cat and then dropped it and walked away. I got to a good stopping point on what I was doing and decided to go out and treat him to a couple of pupperoni's and dispose of the evidence.

He was at the opposite end of our one acre backyard but when he saw me pick up the remains to chuck over the fence into the cornfield he came charging across the backyard and snatched it out of my hands. He then ran back across the yard and turned to look at me then he dropped the body, looked at me and barked one of those "C'mon, let's play barks"! I told him that although I was honored we weren't playing keep away with a dead cat.

He was a big sweetie!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The Rotties just wanted to play keep away or catch!

I used to have a male Rottie; one day I was working at my desk in the bedroom and he was in the backyard. I heard him barking and carrying on and then it sounded like a truck had hit the house. I looked out to see him and a huge tom cat going at it. Without going into the really cool details of the fight he killed the cat and then dropped it and walked away. I got to a good stopping point on what I was doing and decided to go out and treat him to a couple of pupperoni's and dispose of the evidence.

He was at the opposite end of our one acre backyard but when he saw me pick up the remains to chuck over the fence into the cornfield he came charging across the backyard and snatched it out of my hands. He then ran back across the yard and turned to look at me then he dropped the body, looked at me and barked one of those "C'mon, let's play barks"! I told him that although I was honored we weren't playing keep away with a dead cat.

He was a big sweetie!

Good dog.….:):

I am OK with cats. We have had some very neat ones but we kept them here.

Top Bottom