• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    i had my light turning on at night… big mistake chickens wouldn’t go to sleep so now I kick it in in the morning about 3am much better.
    Yep, if you are using a light, only have it come on in the morning. Let your chickens go to bed with the natural light. When I had chickens, I would spend about $15 every 2 weeks for feed from our local Co-op for 6 chickens. Pro-tip... save any table scraps and use your chickens as garbage disposals. They will eat just about anything. And for a special treat, every once in a while buy a watermelon or cantaloupe. Quarter it and let them go to town.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Considering that I have two dogs and live close to woods, they wouldn't be free range. They definitely would not be pets! I am considering 3 or 4 purely for eggs. If it costs more than kroger, then it's not something I'm interested in...
    It won't be cheaper than Kroger (depending on cost of eggs), but much better quality eggs. Brighter yokes, better flavor, and you know where they came from. If you happen to have extras, you can easily sell them for $4/doz. We moved to a condo a couple years ago and cant have chickens here, but if I could, I would definitely do it again even if it were slightly more expensive than store bought.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Living near the woods can present challenges with predators. Coons, hawks, owls, fox....we had them all. Water can be an issue in the winter when everything freezes too.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    It won't be cheaper than Kroger (depending on cost of eggs), but much better quality eggs. Brighter yokes, better flavor, and you know where they came from. If you happen to have extras, you can easily sell them for $4/doz. We moved to a condo a couple years ago and cant have chickens here, but if I could, I would definitely do it again even if it were slightly more expensive than store bought.
    Where are you? I will help you find fresh real
    Eggs

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Yep, if you are using a light, only have it come on in the morning. Let your chickens go to bed with the natural light. When I had chickens, I would spend about $15 every 2 weeks for feed from our local Co-op for 6 chickens. Pro-tip... save any table scraps and use your chickens as garbage disposals. They will eat just about anything. And for a special treat, every once in a while buy a watermelon or cantaloupe. Quarter it and let them go to town.
    While I agree with the lighting....we do ours in the evening 5:15 -9:30....girls still pumping them out

Top Bottom