• ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    This all drifted because of those danged chickens so...….:dunno:

Vpbm6953zle3-l9Bt_jKjenEPgVmYN14Jr9stXJfs5qqyfqGZmSgPSO98vlUxQUVtJPW15J4gADrfFq72aQOKI__IvSMVLrE5VXAGSl16GNXnMPOrh6UN6hfSYyl7pT_eg

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I punched a raccoon and I liked it.

We have secured our chickens very well after losing one last week. Now the local raccoon, since he can't get to them, has taken to eating their chicken feed. I caught him last night and he ran off to the corner of the pen that has a small mulberry tree. He ran up the tree but couldn't get through the bird netting. I went to that corner and threw the only thing I hand on me that I could think to throw - my keys. That made him move closer to the fence and me, facing away. So I punched him in the belly. He ran up and got through a small hole in the bird netting and out of the pen. Next time I go out with the pellet gun.

No more mister nice guy.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Here is what we have. We have part of the yard fenced in and we put them up during the night in a pretty safe pen. Even though we live in town there is nothing but undeveloped woods behind us.

pen.jpg

Ron

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've seen some high security chicken forts before, but that's the first one with security monitoring.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've seen some high security chicken forts before, but that's the first one with security monitoring.

The camera in the run actually has a floodlight and siren that activate if it detects motion after the chickens are in for the night. We live on the edge of the sticks. Yotes and foxes are pretty common.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Our 3 remaining Bovan browns started laying last week at 17 weeks old. Still getting some strange eggs as their laying systems adjust. It could be just one that is doing all the laying, since only one does the bowing thing in front of the family members. No doubt about what she expects from us.

If only some humans were as clear about their intentions...

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Nice. :yesway: And put some fake ceramic eggs or golf balls in there to let them know that is the place to lay.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I don't know why I never thought to put a camera in the coop. I lost all my chicks & 2 adults back in march. I then proceeded to wrap the exterior in 1x1 inch wire(not the chicken wire stuff_ then attach metal siding from the ground up to about 6" to the top. haven't had an issue since. I also purchased some new traps for the raccoons( they outsmarted my live traps, I haven't used the new ones yet. I now have 11 cornish cross meatbirds & 6 rhode island reds with 2 older jersey giants & 1 mix we hatched ourselves.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We have a bird with a sinus infection. Doesn't look like I can get antibiotics w/o a prescription. So, instead of $10, I'm sure this will cost me $100. It's my girl's favorite "pet" bird, so gotta do what we gotta do.

Top Bottom