• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    My brother lives on a 100 acre private lake in east Central Indiana. They have five bald eagles on that lake. It's pretty cool to be fishing and to have one of them dive bomb a fish. A few years ago he came home to one of them perched on his back deck. It's a pretty sweet pic

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Also i would see the ones off of New Road in greenfield regularly when I would go to my girlfriends house.

I've known of the Greenfield eagles for years now, and I work in the town.
    Only yesterday, I finally went and found the nesting tree, a big sycamore; and yes, the nest is massive, easily 1000 lbs and probably more.
    For anyone who wants to know exactly where that tree is, take New Road east of IN-9 (aka State Street) and keep going until the roundabout, then take the third road on the roundabout, which will send you due north on Apple Street.
    Keep going through the subdivision there for roughly a quarter mile and you'll go up a small hill.
    There's a cluster of several large trees off to the east of the road right at the crest of the hill, and you'll easily spot the Sycamore with the nest in it, about 200-300 yards away from the road.
    It'll probably be much harder to spot the nest once the leaves come on, though.
    I was just able to make out the silhouette of one of the eagles in the nest.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Neighbor called me around noon today. Bald eagle was in the tree in my back yard. I was able to poke my head out the shop window to just see him above me. He didn't stay long enough for pictures. First eagle we've noticed in our immediate area. We see them a mile away at the lake often.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    My brother lives on a 100 acre private lake in east Central Indiana. They have five bald eagles on that lake. It's pretty cool to be fishing and to have one of them dive bomb a fish. A few years ago he came home to one of them perched on his back deck. It's a pretty sweet pic

Saw some fishing a few times on trips to Canada... definitely super cool

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    It's not uncommon to see them in Martinsville. I once saw one sitting on something next to the retention pond at Walmart. Apparently even eagles shop at Walmart :)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Sadly, they have only seen one of the babies the last 2 days. :( it seems as though 2 have gone missing.

That's sad, but it's not at all unusual, as the mortality rate of raptor chicks is generally right at or above 50%.
    It's generally the first chick to hatch that will win that particular contest.
    Having only one eaglet to feed and care for greatly increases the odds of at least one reaching adulthood.
    It also helps greatly that the parents mate for life, doubling up on caring for the young.

Last edited:

Dino Bravo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cumberland
    I've known of the Greenfield eagles for years now, and I work in the town.
    Only yesterday, I finally went and found the nesting tree, a big sycamore; and yes, the nest is massive, easily 1000 lbs and probably more.
    For anyone who wants to know exactly where that tree is, take New Road east of IN-9 (aka State Street) and keep going until the roundabout, then take the third road on the roundabout, which will send you due north on Apple Street.
    Keep going through the subdivision there for roughly a quarter mile and you'll go up a small hill.
    There's a cluster of several large trees off to the east of the road right at the crest of the hill, and you'll easily spot the Sycamore with the nest in it, about 200-300 yards away from the road.
    It'll probably be much harder to spot the nest once the leaves come on, though.
    I was just able to make out the silhouette of one of the eagles in the nest.

Thank you for this info. I am going to drive out there and see if I can see the eagles. Thanks again!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thank you for this info. I am going to drive out there and see if I can see the eagles. Thanks again!

Glad to have been of help.
    Hoping you get to see more of them than I did.
    It's good to see a raptor bigger still than the ever present Turkey vulture around here at long last.

Dino Bravo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cumberland
    We went to Montana Mikes in Greenfield for dinner tonight then ventured back to check out the nest. We easily found the nest, it is indeed huge, and got to see one of the eagles sitting over it. There were a few people stopping to view it. A magnificent sight!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    We went to Montana Mikes in Greenfield for dinner tonight then ventured back to check out the nest. We easily found the nest, it is indeed huge, and got to see one of the eagles sitting over it. There were a few people stopping to view it. A magnificent sight!
    :yesway:

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Saw an eagle hit and dead on the road just after exiting I65 onto SR28. Had semi truck on side of road and a couple different legal entities.

I was just stopping in to post this as well. I was driving past and saw the Clinton County Animal Control truck on the side of the road with its flashers on and drove past a large bird on the side of the road. I saw a tuft of white hair and knew what it had to be.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    My son-in-law and I were recently on a county road just east of the Bluegrass FWA and had one come out of a treeline to our north, swoop across the road about 100 yards ahead of us, and then fly behind a small hill to the south of the road. Neither of us had the time to get a picture but it was definitely the highlight of our day.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Last Saturday I got to enjoy a pair soaring over a field in Morgan county on Mann Rd south of Southport Road. Totally caught me by surprise, they are BIG birds!

Top Bottom