• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ok, I think I have a grasp on this now. So CHIRP is good as long as you use the original config from the radio. If you use a file from some other source you may run into problems.
    And if in doubt, Select all channels from the first config, copy, open the second config and paste them in. The inconsistencies/incompatibilites are going to be in the other settings tabs.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Shopping List?

So this has been on my list to get but not a rush until the FCC moved it towards the top of my list. What all do I need to put in my shopping cart to buy for this to work? I figure I can research the programming later on but want to buy before price goes up or they go out of stock. Saw some bundles on Amazon.

1. Uv-5r ex
    2. Antenna
    3. Programming Cable
    4. Other accessories?

antenna as in car mounting version?
    the little rubber ducky that comes with it is very nice.
    a car magnet antenna is even better even if u dont use it on a car. u can use it at home as well.

most other items are meh...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    oh forgot extra battery or the battery pack that can use AA batteires instead of the battery that comes with the radio. this way regular batteires will work.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    And if in doubt, Select all channels from the first config, copy, open the second config and paste them in. The inconsistencies/incompatibilites are going to be in the other settings tabs.
    It’s starting to make sense.

This is what I would like to program into the radio. In no particular order

Local repeaters
    Local first responders
    NOAA
    Channels that I can talk on without a license.
    Scan frequencies. I go to a lot of places were staff carry’s radios and I would like to be able to scan for those frequencies, is that even doable?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    antenna as in car mounting version?
    the little rubber ducky that comes with it is very nice.
    a car magnet antenna is even better even if u dont use it on a car. u can use it at home as well.

most other items are meh...
    Is there any car antenna that we don’t have to use an adapter for the radios in the OP? Links?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Based on the warnings in CHIRP, I would suggest TT download the current config from his radio, save it and send it to you to modify. They warn of differences in firmware/models that can brick a radio. I havent seen it myself, but thats a pretty dire warning. And easy enough to avoid.

Yep, that was the plan. I didn't know if he had a cable for it yet.

I have several models, but most of them are older so it may not work out well to use them as a base. The safest way, as you said, is to download the file from the host radio. I've done this with radios I've given out as gifts. Almost everyone I've given one to has wanted a lesson on programing and a brief rundown. I just save the file from their individual radio and keep it in a sub folder for mine with their name. It's quick to find "Mike's UV-82L" in case he has problems in the future.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is there any car antenna that we don’t have to use an adapter for the radios in the OP? Links?

These work well. It comes with the adapter cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016SIJX28/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For ease of use/QD I added this and converted the PL259 to BNC
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QPOQLR6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

L-com | Ethernet Cable | WiFi Amplifier | Adapter | Wireless | Coaxial (these are custom assemblies for about $30)
    1 CC316BMRBM010 (10' RG316 with BNC)
    1 BA230 (UHF to BNC adapter)

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    You can scan through all the frequencies in vfo mode, or you can scan through all your programmed channels in Channel mode. I don't think you can scan a subset of channels.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Scanning with these is pretty slow, something like 3 channels per second at best. If you use Chirp you can program it to skip channels during a scan. I've got most of mine programed to skip all the channels except the local PD, 2 sheriff, and 2 local repeaters.

We should have a programing party if there is a group buy. Several people bringing a laptop and a cable could knock these out pretty quick.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Now this thread makes me wish I had taken the HAM test back in the mid 90s. My father-in-law gave me a set of training cassettes for it back then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Now this thread makes me wish I had taken the HAM test back in the mid 90s. My father-in-law gave me a set of training cassettes for it back then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I year it’s easier now with the Technician class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    i should have a confirmed price for a package radio, car antenna, extra battery pack for AAA, and headset for a group buy. waiting on my source to confirm final price for a bulk order of 15, 20 or 25 radios.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    i should have a confirmed price for a package radio, car antenna, extra battery pack for AAA, and headset for a group buy. waiting on my source to confirm final price for a bulk order of 15, 20 or 25 radios.

Just to double check, is it for the model radio in the first post or a different one?

Top Bottom