• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I like to go barefoot around the house and outside of the house is fine for the most part but I don't really do too much else barefoot. I don't currently own any sandals (I have been meaning to buy some for too long) so doing outdoor activities like boating and other things mean barefoot the whole time though so maybe I balance out?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Almost never go outside without shoes and socks. I have a pair of really comfortable running shoes that I use as house-shoes. I've only worn them outside a couple of times when I forgot to change. ( I know, I'm turning into my grandpa.)

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Since flip-flops and arch support have been mentioned, does anyone know where you can get both in one? I would love to find some flip-flops or slip-on sandals with good arch support. I've done Birkenstocks before, but they are a little extreme.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I hate wearing shoes and go barefoot a lot. I wear sandals everywhere in the summer except for work. It is a medical office and we are required to wear shoes, but as soon as I get home, those are gone.

We were always barefoot growing up. I stepped on many wasps over the years, but the only time I had a nail in my foot was when one went through my boot while we were cleaning the barn...jumped off of the split rail fence and landed on a board that had a nail sticking out of it. That was fun. :xmad:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    First thing I did when I got to the office was taking off my Sperry's. Just too hot today.

I'll put them on to go out for lunch and the restroom, but not much else.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Growing up in rural Minnesota I was always barefoot, 24/7, as soon as the snow melted. Had to toughen up my feet every spring by walking on gravel until it felt good. Sure, found a few nails, got the shots.

Now that I am old - socks inside, shoes outside.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Growing up in rural Minnesota I was always barefoot, 24/7, as soon as the snow melted. Had to toughen up my feet every spring by walking on gravel until it felt good. Sure, found a few nails, got the shots.

Now that I am old - socks inside, shoes outside.

We have a house full of dogs--some with weak bladders. The only thing worse than stepping in pee barefoot is stepping in pee with socks on.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The pitfalls...

I splashed a 50 cent piece sized glob of smoking hot lard over the edge of the Campchef griddle and onto my right foot yesterday. Today, I complimented that with another lapse of stupid by running the "barefoot" weedeater string across the top of my left foot toes. :n00b:

Neither injury left a mark, but both immediately left me dancing, howling and worried about how wearing a shoe again might be.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm actually going barefoot around the house more now than I ever have before; I am a true "tenderfoot." Lately I've been walking around inside with socks on, but mainly it's like my clothing; I generally get dressed first thing in the morning - complete with my EDC stuff - and don't undress until bedtime. And I keep my clothes and shoes close to hand in case of emergencies.

I understand people who are used to walking barefoot and who have toughened feet enjoy that sort of thing, but I can't help thinking about how quickly picking up a nail or rock in an emergency situation can cripple you at an inopportune time. To me it's not worth the risk. Same thing is true for driving barefoot - no protection at all in case of an accident.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm actually going barefoot around the house more now than I ever have before; I am a true "tenderfoot." Lately I've been walking around inside with socks on, but mainly it's like my clothing; I generally get dressed first thing in the morning - complete with my EDC stuff - and don't undress until bedtime. And I keep my clothes and shoes close to hand in case of emergencies.

I understand people who are used to walking barefoot and who have toughened feet enjoy that sort of thing, but I can't help thinking about how quickly picking up a nail or rock in an emergency situation can cripple you at an inopportune time. To me it's not worth the risk. Same thing is true for driving barefoot - no protection at all in case of an accident.

You are absolutely right about most barefoot activities away from home being not worth the risk. While I do like to do the occasional low risk testing, just to make sure I could do it, it is a bad idea to live as though your feet are not at risk.

Years ago, Mercop taught us about the risks of even wearing sandals out and about. A solidly placed boot stomp or kick to your toes and exposed foot parts can quickly immobilize and incapacitate you to fight off or escape an attacker.

I wear sandals to bank fish and to put small boats in the water. Driving back and forth to the water is about it for the sandals other than actual being in or near the water. If I'm smart, even then I'll throw a real pair of shoes in the vehicle in case of emergency.

Last edited:

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I absolutely cannot stand to go barefoot. I don't even like sandals all that much. I put my shoes on when I leave the house and take them off when I get home. The only time I'm not wearing socks is when I'm in the shower. And any liquid on the floor with socks is horrible. -Jason

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I just can't understand you never barefoot people. Makes me uncomfortable just thinking about wearing shoes in the house....kinda like wearing pants at home. If I'm home I'm typically only wearing my boxers or gym shorts. Why would you wear pants and or shoes in your own home. Why?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just can't understand you never barefoot people. Makes me uncomfortable just thinking about wearing shoes in the house....kinda like wearing pants at home. If I'm home I'm typically only wearing my boxers or gym shorts. Why would you wear pants and or shoes in your own home. Why?
    Having young girls run in and out of my house like they live there is one reason.
    The kids my daughter baby sits think we are there aunt and uncle. They can’t wait to come give us a hug when they go outside to play. Yards are common and we have snacks.
    Yeah I wear pants.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Having young girls run in and out of my house like they live there is one reason.
    The kids my daughter baby sits think we are there aunt and uncle. They can’t wait to come give us a hug when they go outside to play. Yards are common and we have snacks.
    Yeah I wear pants.
    Not to mention that my tighty-whities don't have belt loops for my gun belt. Now that I think about it though, I guess I could get by with a cowboy rig... How's that for a mental image? :):

Top Bottom