• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Having young girls run in and out of my house like they live there is one reason.
    The kids my daughter baby sits think we are there aunt and uncle. They can’t wait to come give us a hug when they go outside to play. Yards are common and we have snacks.
    Yeah I wear pants.
    Fair points. One should always wear pants around kids.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Barefoot when sleeping or showering only. I won't wear my outside shoes in the house past the front door where I change into house shoes and the wife goes bare foot.

Gym shorts and t-shirts around the house only because we leave doors and blinds/curtains open..............................and I don't show all this off for free.
    The members that have met me are either laughing or throwing up over the last sentence.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you trash and recycle at the same place I do (and I think you do) you are a braver man than me for going barefoot there.

You know I do. And I'm pretty sure it was you that I met for the trade accross the street. :ingo:

I didn't go wondering around at recycling. Just in and out of the car to toss the orange bag.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't volunteer to get foot injury, but hardening up the peds was at least part of the reason for starting this thread.

What if circumstance forced you to have to be barefoot until you could re-shoe?

What if there was no choice but to be barefoot for the moment? Could you cross pavement, a summer hot deck, gravel, rip rap? Could you run (or at least make better than turtle time,) while doing it? If you had to, could you function barefoot long enough to handle the emergency task at hand?

Are you going to die, while putting your shoes on, so you can handle a threat?

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I don't volunteer to get foot injury, but hardening up the peds was at least part of the reason for starting this thread.

What if there was no choice but to be barefoot for the moment? Could you cross pavement, a summer hot deck, gravel, rip rap? Could you run (or at least make better than turtle time,) while doing it, if you had to?

I remember as a kid part of every spring was getting the feet toughened up so I could do anything barefooted. I never felt like my life depended on it though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Just wondering how many INGOers spend much time barefoot?

I run my thermostat low in the winter, so foot covering is necessary. This time of year though, sometimes I go for days and days to the point of forgetting the last time I wore shoes.

I don't drive much without shoes, but thought it might be interesting to test how different it might be?

I just drove (manual transmission) nearby to make a trade with an INGOer and dropped off my recycling barefoot. I threw some sandals in the car, in case of emergency. Driving was no big deal, however it was different than with shoes.

Wonder if others go shoeless much?
    I got my drivers license last century so maybe things have changed (or maybe it was never true?) but I was explicitly told driving barefoot was illegal in Indiana. I was also told wearing earphones while driving as a no-no as well. I've driven barefoot many a time but I don't care for it much. Frequently barefoot around the house and yard. But age, arthritis and the never-ending force of gravity prompt me to sometimes wear shoes for feet comfort.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I got my drivers license last century so maybe things have changed (or maybe it was never true?) but I was explicitly told driving barefoot was illegal in Indiana. I was also told wearing earphones while driving as a no-no as well. I've driven barefoot many a time but I don't care for it much. Frequently barefoot around the house and yard. But age, arthritis and the never-ending force of gravity prompt me to sometimes wear shoes for feet comfort.

I might have heard the same thing, years ago?

I just drove barefoot to make sure I could. I live in the country with a few nearby destinations, so I can justify going to see family around the corner or such as low risk. Still, I take shoes to put on in case of something changing.

I had a landscape job a couple years back where my stupid Merrils got wet, the glue gave up and the soles fell off. I finished the last hour of the gig barefoot. The landscape work was fine, not unlike barefoot lawn and garden work at home. For the half hour drive home though, I was glad to have some experience driving barefoot. That was the first time driving barefoot because I had to, certainly the first time driving barefoot in much traffic. Also a good reminder to have backups when doing work that is rough on shoes.

I think it's a bad idea to be out and about much without protecting your feet with shoes. A fender bender or even just vehicle mechanical problems could put your feet in vulnerable circumstances. Let alone a self defense situation.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Interesting. So driving barefoot not illegal, but can be ticketed. Weird. The person that taught me to drive a stick shift actually recommended being barefoot so I could better feel the clutch engage. I don't really think it made much difference but I'm glad I was taught to drive a manual transmission. They're almost unheard of anymore except for large trucks. Even most sports cars and jeeps nowadays are auto.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

What if there was no choice but to be barefoot for the moment? Could you cross pavement, a summer hot deck, gravel, rip rap? Could you run (or at least make better than turtle time,) while doing it? If you had to, could you function barefoot long enough to handle the emergency task at hand?

You make some good points. I used to go barefoot outside all the time and for awhile, I could literally put out a cigarette on the bottom of my feet and not feel a thing, nor would my skin be damaged. The callouses were just that thick.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That was my understanding too (barefoot driving = illegal).

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    No shirt no shoes no dice.

When my yippee ki yi aa in the yakatome tower was underway my lack of footwear hindered my progress so much I had to upgrade my beretta 92 for a H&K MP5 to continue my quest to disturb my ex wife at her company Christmas party.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I used to go barefoot all the time until I started getting plantar fasciitis flare ups non stop. When I started wearing flip flops when not wearing shoes, my foot problems went away. I can't say for certain that it solved the problem, but I'm not willing to experiment to find out.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Barefoot may have an additional benefit if you walk on organic surfaces.

Many studies have been made about grounding your body on the earth. When we walked in sweaty leather soled shoes, we were still wicking off electrical energy that our bodies do not need. These days, man made composite soles and non organic flooring insulates us from the natural grounding benefits.

A prof at Purdue has studied human grounding and received awards on papers that he published. When we had metal plumbing, at least we got grounded when washing and bathing. Plastic supply and drains have insulated those also. We have more electromagnetism in our environment than ever. causing some havoc with our systems.

Spending time barefoot on your lawn, the wet beach sands, even wooden floors allow your body to equalize itself.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom