• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Out of curiosity, how many miles do you drive in a shift?

Also curious how many miles a HWY patrolman might drive. I bet it's mind boggling.

When I was on the road, oh so many years ago as a Trooper, I would put between 150 and 300 miles a night on the car. However, that was a huge rural district in west central Indiana, and if I was hung up at a crash or crime scene or busy with whatever, then it would be much less. Troopers in tighter districts like Indianapolis would be much less.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    When I was on the road, oh so many years ago as a Trooper, I would put between 150 and 300 miles a night on the car. However, that was a huge rural district in west central Indiana, and if I was hung up at a crash or crime scene or busy with whatever, then it would be much less. Troopers in tighter districts like Indianapolis would be much less.

Man... That's A LOT of miles... So 1500 in a given week?

Do any of you guys still enjoy roadtrips in your free time?

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    The numbers listed are complete BS. There is no line item for the tax credit that Tesla receives (tax payer $ the subsidize the purchase price of a Tesla). There is no line for the BS Carbon Offset value (read tax payer subsidy) that Tesla receives.

And $7,125/yr for gas? Let's call that $2.50/gallon at today's price. That's 2,850 gallons of gas. That car get's an easy 20 mpg. Let's round down and make that 50k miles per year driven. In 5 years that car would have 250k miles on it. If that is right (and i doubt it but the LEOs here can answer) the Tesla driven under similar circumstances will never make it that far.

And based on Tesla's replacement part nightmare, when that car needs to be fixed it's going to sit for months waiting for the parts to become available.

During the month of August I used 138 gallons of gas in my Ford SUV Interceptor SUV. I range 100-150 miles a shift, but have gotten over 300 on a crazy busy night. In a year I’ll put approximately 20,000 miles on my vehicle.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I burn about 10 gallons per work day in my CVPI, and that is if I don't work any overtime. That's just me in my car for one shift. A fleet car that runs all three shifts would burn more than that....obviously. $7100 annually for gas doesn't seem out of line at all.

so how many miles does a CVPI have when it is replaced?

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Man... That's A LOT of miles... So 1500 in a given week?

Do any of you guys still enjoy roadtrips in your free time?

That higher mileage was earlier in my career, when we had 52 miles of I-74 to patrol from the state line to SR 75 in Jamestown.

I still enjoy a road trip, but consider that I finished the last half of my law enforcement career driving a desk.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That higher mileage was earlier in my career, when we had 52 miles of I-74 to patrol from the state line to SR 75 in Jamestown.

I still enjoy a road trip, but consider that I finished the last half of my law enforcement career driving a desk.

That's my stretch of the road!

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    That's my stretch of the road!

For a long time you could blindfold me, drive me to any location on that part of I-74, and I could tell you the mile marker from looking at the terrain.

Montgomery and Fountain Counties were a great place for a young Trooper to work!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For a long time you could blindfold me, drive me to any location on that part of I-74, and I could tell you the mile marker from looking at the terrain.

Montgomery and Fountain Counties were a great place for a young Trooper to work!

How could you look at the terrain if you were blindfolded? :stickpoke::p

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

And yet, you were never able to catch me ridin' dirty, copper!

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    How could you look at the terrain if you were blindfolded? :stickpoke::p

You make a great point! The Department didn't like us driving blindfolded (I read what I wrote, and figured this was coming :):)

And yet, you were never able to catch me ridin' dirty, copper!

Right, I never did.... but a couple of questions:

1) Were you actually ridin' dirty? and;
    2) If so, was it before 1995?

If the answer to either is "no," you are ineligible to have been caught ridin' dirty by once-upon-a-time-Trooper MarkC. :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You make a great point! The Department didn't like us driving blindfolded (I read what I wrote, and figured this was coming :):)

Right, I never did.... but a couple of questions:

1) Were you actually ridin' dirty? and;
    2) If so, was it before 1995?

If the answer to either is "no," you are ineligible to have been caught ridin' dirty by once-upon-a-time-Trooper MarkC. :):

1. I rarely bathe, so yes.
    2. I got my driver's license in 1981, so yes.

The State Popo were no match for the Rhino!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Cops should have all the proper gear they need to safely do the jobs we ask them to do. Im also not against them being comfortable to try and prevent back problems, and other issues. That said, is a tesla proper gear? Vupdblue is a cop and has raised serious concerns up thread about the tesla as a cop car. Thats all I ask, is before you spend the money, please do so wisely. I want cops to be safe. I want cops to be happy and well trained and armed well. Im all for it.
    But this is just nuts here. A tesla. Barggersville lmfao

Top Bottom