• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Simple question: If your job was to drive to an address where a person called and said there's some guy with a gun shooting the place up, what vehicle would you want to use to go there?

So, we are back to what if Godzilla attacks Battle Ground? *sigh*

1. When has this happened in Terre Haute?

2. What cop in Terre Haute is dumb enough to drive up to a house like that? Name names.

3. What do Terre Haute cops do now? Why cannot they continue to do this?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    All these examples of the police needing a tank in Terre Haute! Just look at them all.

Everyone slow down while I review these proofs. So much math here!

Thank you DLA Disposition Services

XPrn7VO.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    While I'm all about holding government officials accountable as to the tax dollars they spend I'm afraid I'm not capable of remaining unbiased on this issue but here's my two cents anywho...

I've spent many an hour in a bearcat and quite a few of those were while utilizing the benefit of the armored turret to provide cover for my brothers when faced with suspects known to be armed with significant firepower. I've looked from the turret into the face of a few who would have loved to take the life of a police officer but undoubtedly realized that their odds of success were severely diminished by the presence of a vehicle capable of shielding officers from their attempts. While I wasn't on this particular situation I also know of a severely struggling veteran who, if not for the added protection the Bearcat offered our officers, would likely not be alive today. I participated in the apprehension of the murderer who killed my friend David Moore while enjoying the benefit of the cover a Bearcat provided.

I struggle with demands to justify such a piece of equipment, particularly from folks who choose to burden themselves with the cost, discomfort and inconvenience of carrying a firearm every day when they have never "needed" it. What is the value of a human life? Are they all equal? Again I'm biased but I say they are not. What is the cost to a community when an officer is killed in the line of duty? Does the widow pay for the funeral? Who pays the expenses to cover the jurisdiction while every officer of the agency and half the fire services are unavailable and attending the funeral? How does it affect an officer who may come to realize that the protection of this type of vehicle may have prevented the death of their coworker but that was overlooked in favor of a new performing arts center, bicycle lanes or a local government grant to cover the cost of drug treatment for those who willingly became addicts?

Find me an agency who misuses such a piece of equipment in an offensive manner and I'll join right alongside you in your protests. Until then, having worked alongside more than a handful of outstanding human beings who are no doubt alive today due to the protection offered by these types of vehicles, I'll withhold any words of disappointment in the decision to offer the best protection available to those willing to stand up to the evil this country produces on a regular basis.

Last edited:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I guess I’m in the position I want officers to be safe, but the city is not in the best financial shape. With the mrap they have, is mobility an issue worth 150k to tax payers like myself (they got a grant for 100k)? If the mrap isn’t an mobile then they need, them I’m for it. With losing an officer earlier this year and other hostage/stand off situations this year, I see the need for armored vehicles.

Top Bottom