• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Looks like a big impact on officers lifespan would be more driver education, better lifestyle and eating habits.

View attachment 71966

I'm gonna go way out on a limb and suggest that if police officers didn't need to drive well above speed limits to get to emergency runs, if people were to pay even the slightest bit of attention to what is going on around them and if criminals would stop fleeing in vehicles we might see the death rate from automobile accidents drop. Hope I'm not being way too far fetched, I mean I realize that no one faces circumstances different than yours so everyone is judged by the same criteria.

I've seen more than my fair share of people who dropped dead from heart attacks which had zero to do with their lifestyle. Not everyone who has a heart attack or cholesterol issues is an overweight, chain smoking biscuit eater.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I'm gonna go way out on a limb and suggest that if police officers didn't need to drive well above speed limits to get to emergency runs, if people were to pay even the slightest bit of attention to what is going on around them and if criminals would stop fleeing in vehicles we might see the death rate from automobile accidents drop. Hope I'm not being way too far fetched, I mean I realize that no one faces circumstances different than yours so everyone is judged by the same criteria.

I've seen more than my fair share of people who dropped dead from heart attacks which had zero to do with their lifestyle. Not everyone who has a heart attack or cholesterol issues is an overweight, chain smoking biscuit eater.

Research says over 90% of heart attacks can be prevented with lifestyle changes.these are the things that cause most heart attacks.
    Smoking
    Abnormal cholesterol
    Diabetes
    High blood pressure
    Stress
    Abdominal obesity
    Sedentary lifestyle
    Eating too few fruits and vegetables
    Abstaining from alcohol.

Just about half 700+ of the 1500 offices that have died in the last 10 years died from car accidents and health issues..

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Research says over 90% of heart attacks can be prevented with lifestyle changes.these are the things that cause most heart attacks.
    Smoking
    Abnormal cholesterol
    Diabetes
    High blood pressure
    Stress
    Abdominal obesity
    Sedentary lifestyle
    Eating too few fruits and vegetables
    Abstaining from alcohol.

Just about half 700+ of the 1500 offices that have died in the last 10 years died from car accidents and health issues..

find a way to remove stress (and the likely-related high blood pressure) from police work and you’ll be a savior. Cops go to work knowing that it’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t world out there. Everyone is looking to jam you up, lots don’t even have the backing of their own leadership, yet they go out and do the job anyway, which may include seeing, hearing and experiencing the absolute worst, most gruesome, and most heartbreaking that humanity has to offer. I don’t think munching on a carrot stick is gonna make that type of stress disappear.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    That chart doesn't do anything for me. Since you were so quick to point out car crashes and heart attack, I want you to list the specific causes of death for the other half of the officers.

I was quick? I've never had that complaint before :dunno:
    Its is put out by The National Law Enforcement Memorial Fund so maybe they don't want to promote certain issues. Who knows why the chart isn't broken down more.
    I was making a point that there are lots of reasons that LE die each year and it looks like it's almost non existent or a few that die because they don't have an armored vehicle to stay safe in.
    Data shows that almost half of LE deaths could be saved with better lifestyle choices and better driving...Half is alot..

If it truly was a lifesaver one would believe each cruiser would be an armored bearcat or at least an up armored Humvee..

If you are waiting for me to post more data I suggest you grab a box of donuts and a strawberry YooHoo because it's gonna be awhile.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    find a way to remove stress (and the likely-related high blood pressure) from police work and you’ll be a savior. Cops go to work knowing that it’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t world out there. Everyone is looking to jam you up, lots don’t even have the backing of their own leadership, yet they go out and do the job anyway, which may include seeing, hearing and experiencing the absolute worst, most gruesome, and most heartbreaking that humanity has to offer. I don’t think munching on a carrot stick is gonna make that type of stress disappear.

It's not like it's the only career that has stress and sees ugly by any means. If it's that bad I would suggest finding a new field of employment. Where you work is a personal choice and nothing more, if it sucks find a new gig, that's what unhappy people do.
    If one doesn't jump out of bed in the morning and can't wait until the work day starts, you need to change careers..

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    How many LEO deaths in the “accident” category are attributed to some fault of the officer killed? How many were officers killed by morons while the officer was out of their vehicle directing traffic? How many were killed by a suspect intentionally ramming an officer’s vehicle?

This kind of **** is ridiculous. LEOs shouldn’t be entitled to equipment which not only protects them but others as well because police officers have heart attacks. -or- “I don’t like cops cause I’m a bigger hero”

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I would argue that “somebody’s gotta do it” and whomever that somebody is can be subjected to great stress, wether they enjoy the job or not.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    How many LEO deaths in the “accident” category are attributed to some fault of the officer killed? How many were officers killed by morons while the officer was out of their vehicle directing traffic? How many were killed by a suspect intentionally ramming an officer’s vehicle?

This kind of **** is ridiculous. LEOs shouldn’t be entitled to equipment which not only protects them but others as well because police officers have heart attacks. -or- “I don’t like cops cause I’m a bigger hero”

See there, you are incapable of having an adult conversation.
    There has been no hate nor bigger hero posted by me.. And with that,
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser."
    Good Day.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

I don't think we've had a traffic fatality since Teresa Hawkins, and I seem to recall that our department-wide at-fault crashes are in the 40% range at the moment. Using that math, if 40% of lives lost in traffic were the fault of the Officer then the numbers in that graph need to be much lower.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I would argue that “somebody’s gotta do it” and whomever that somebody is can be subjected to great stress, wether they enjoy the job or not.

Who makes it stressful? Yourself or outside forces? Some folks let things eat them up and others let it run off like water on a ducks back.
    My kid sister let's it run off, she was employed by Jacksonville's Sheriff's Dept for 20+ years and about 15 of these she ran Crime scenes as a detective and also did blood spatter.
    After six or seven hundred murders one day she just said, I'm done.
    She now teaches forensics and is involved with a few tv shows, and makes about three times the money..

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Who makes it stressful? Yourself or outside forces? Some folks let things eat them up and others let it run off like water on a ducks back.
    My kid sister let's it run off, she was employed by Jacksonville's Sheriff's Dept for 20+ years and about 15 of these she ran Crime scenes as a detective and also did blood spatter.
    After six or seven hundred murders one day she just said, I'm done.
    She now teaches forensics and is involved with a few tv shows, and makes about three times the money..

I think the majority of the stress comes from outside forces that are unfortunately just part of the job. I'm not saying that there aren't some who bring upon themselves more than what is already present, but inherently this job is stressful. I will give you that there are some folks who do better than others at dealing with the stress, but I don't believe that paradigm is unique to law enforcement. Some people just have better GAF tolerances than others. I'm sure the day will come that I have had enough and it's time to tap-out, but that day isn't here yet and I still like what I do. Some days are better or worse than others, but I consider myself healthy and have not had problems dealing with the crap that I can't un-see.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I think the majority of the stress comes from outside forces that are unfortunately just part of the job. I'm not saying that there aren't some who bring upon themselves more than what is already present, but inherently this job is stressful. I will give you that there are some folks who do better than others at dealing with the stress, but I don't believe that paradigm is unique to law enforcement. Some people just have better GAF tolerances than others. I'm sure the day will come that I have had enough and it's time to tap-out, but that day isn't here yet and I still like what I do. Some days are better or worse than others, but I consider myself healthy and have not had problems dealing with the crap that I can't un-see.

Very good, Thank you. One of the calls that put my sister into taking a new and different career was a man was preforming oral on his GF and he blew air inside of her and apparently she liked it so he tried to blow her up like a balloon. And she hemmorraged and within say 50 seconds emptyed her most vital fluid onto the bed and floor. It was the first time I ever heard her use the word Ghastly.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Yeah, 16yrs on east district and I couldn't leave the street fast enough. I was fine until one day I wasn't. Looking back, I can now see the incidents that compounded on top of each other that pushed me to the edge. Thankfully I transferred out when I did.

Top Bottom