• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well, I have been debating picking up one of these for a while now as some of you may already know. Today I was fortunate enough to pick up one of these infamous Carbines from a fellow INGOer for a really good price. (thanks again Joe!) Anyway, I decided to see what all of the fuss was about and took her straight to the range. I have to say I am now a believer!

IMG_1789.jpg

I figured I would just take my 9mm guns so I packed up the Ruger P93 and the Hi-Point 995. I have to say I haven't had that much fun at the range in a while! Here are a few pics of the damage.

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

I found that everything members have said about this little rifle was correct!

Pros:
    Inexpensive
    Cheap to shoot
    Fairly accurate
    Very light recoil
    Extremely ergonomic
    Overall fun to shoot

Cons:
    Low magazine capacity
    Not very aesthetically pleasing
    Not 100% reliable ( I had 2 FTFs out of 50 rounds)

All in all I concur with all of the other Hi-Point owners, this thing is a blast to shoot. I ordered the TS stock first thing before I even shot the thing so at least it will look a tad bit better in the future, hopefully I will not lose anything in the ergonomics category. I was only shooting at 50 feet in an indoor range so you can see i was a little high and to the right using the iron sights, not bad for my first time shooting one of these. I really can't wait to shoot it again! If anybody else is struggling between getting this rifle, a Kel-Tec Sub2k, or a Berretta CX-4 I say depending on your budget you can't go wrong with the HP 995. :twocents:

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The low mag capacity is what keeps me from getting one. I wonder if a little strategic polishing would eliminate the FTFs? Anyway, congrats on your new weapon, and I'm envious that you got to go to the range today. (just about all of em around here are under water right now).:patriot:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Not to just jump on the band wagon, but the only thing that keeps me from buying one of these is the 10 round magazine. I know that somebody makes a higher cap mag but only have seen bad reviews of them. If Hi Point ever decides to make larger cap mags, I'm in.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Service

Hi Point in Dayton, Ohio has an outstanding lifetime warranty on their guns.

I've got a friend that totaled his 9mm carbine, and they even up graded his rifle to the new stock design when he sent it there for service ,

Great company

TK

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    But it's a PITA to field strip afterwards for proper cleaning.

Ha ha, you are right about that. I was going to list that as a con, but in the manual it says you don't have to clean the bore until 300 to 500 rounds and field stripping should be done every 2000 to 3000 rounds :):.

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Saiga223, Where did you order the TS stock and how much was it? I like the one that I have but I think that the new stock looks so much better.

piercedjp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I had a chance to fire the 9MM Highpoint carbine side by side with a Keltec Sub 2000 (Glock configuration). The highpoint generally felt sturdier and I had better shot placement with it, but the Keltec with 32 round clips was also nice. If capacity is an issue, the Keltec is great, but I honestly feel like the highpoint is a better gun.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Saiga223, Where did you order the TS stock and how much was it? I like the one that I have but I think that the new stock looks so much better.

I ordered it from the hi-Point website. Hi-Point Firearms

They have it cheaper than anywhere else with free shipping. Some guy on eBay had one for $84.95 and he even had the nerve to offer free shipping!:rolleyes:
    What a joke, it's $40 on the Hi-Point site.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :rockwoot: Congrats!! I have two HiPoint pistols without a single issue from either of them. Very good for the price. I have a KelTec sub2k that I love, but I do plan to pick up a HiPoint carbine as well. I got the sub2k first because it shares mags with my Glocks. The HiPoint carbines are fun to shoot. Congrats on your purchase and enjoy!

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    The 995 was my first 9x19 chambered firearm. I still own it. Although I rarely shoot it these days. When I do, it still performs reliably, and accurately... But it's a PITA to field strip afterwards for proper cleaning.
    Thats what I was wondering. What is hard about the cleaning process? I would like to buy one of these, but don't know much about them. :dunno:

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    I picked up the Hi Point 4595 45acp Carbine on Friday. Can't wait to take it to the range soon. I saw a video on YouTube of a Guy who did a simple mod to some hi cap 1911 mags. I can't wait to try it out.

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    When people that work in gun stores tell me not to buy an item, that's usually deterrence enough for me to stay away from it. But after reading your reviews I may have to rent one and see for my self. :)

sweddle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    I was on the fence between the HP and the S2K for a month or two. Finally a decided, as affordable as they are and as quickly as they sell used, just buy one and try it. I bought the S2K and have been very happy with it. I don't understand the bashing that goes on against either of them because they are "cheap". I will probably buy an HP .40 when I find a good deal on one just to try it. Frankly, I think it's amazing that either one can be manufactured in the US for the price and be as good as they are. I have fired ~500 rounds through my S2K without any issues yet. Congrats on your HP purchase!

Top Bottom