Benchmade just stepped in it with both feet.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I do not have any Benchmade knives.

Therefore, only I am the appropriate leader of the Benchmade Truth and Reconciliation Reconversion Therapy Committee ("BTRRTC"... but we're coming up with a different acronym). Prove your outrage by sending your Benchmades to me.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Foolish to publicize photos on a website, of a politically sensitive topic.

Foolish to destroy property that could have been sold to pay for police equipment. Definitely would sell for more than scrap prices. That makes the judge and the PD look stupid. Poor stewards of the communities funds.

If the guns were mechanically unsafe and unrepairable to saleable condition, part them out.

I own Benchmade blades but for me to continue to support them, they need to think b4 they donate gun chopping services. Dems buy knives too, I'm sure, but avoiding this fiasco would have shown better judgement. PD can buy their own cutoff saw.

In this current political climate, I doubt many departments resell firearms they have accumulated. The PR nightmare that would follow if one of those was used in a crime later is likely more concerning than the small amount of revenue it would generate. I don't agree with it, but it is where were are now.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The assistance with destroying the firearms is going to provoke emotional reactions on both side, but overall I don't see it as that big of a deal given "the rest of the story." It wasn't a great idea in my opinion, but . . .

The contributions to Democrat political candidates, on the other hand, is far more troubling. Some explanation of those choices would certainly seem to be in order for a company whose customer base includes a segment that has a strong interest in opposing the actions of almost all national-level Democrats.

Along those lines, what about the other US-based knife manufactures? I suspect that if that if the same data were presented about all of them, we'd have some surprises. I would be very surprised if Buck or especially TOPS or ESEE paid a significant amount to Democrat candidates, but I would be less surprised by some of the others.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    They donated to out of state politicians as well.
    Really? They said they can’t.

https://www.benchmade.com/charitable-contributions

[h=1]BENCHMADE CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTIONS[/h][h=3]ELIGIBILITY & TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL APPLICATION [/h][FONT=&quot]We support organizations and activities that emphasize:
    • Education & Community
    • Law Enforcement
    • Hunting & Conservation
    • Military
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We are unable to support:
    • Individuals
    • Political Campaigns
    • Religious Organizations
    • General PTO or PTA Groups
    [/FONT]

• Please submit your organizations 501c3 tax-exempt ID number, non 501c3 organizations are unlikely to meet giving requirements.
    • We request submissions be completed 60 days prior to needing a decision or support.
    • We are able to consider one request per organization in 12-month period.
    • Only donation requests submitted via Benchmade.com will be considered.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    [FONT=&quot]Udall, Mark (D-CO) and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Heinrich, Martin (D-NM)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] is listed as a Recipient on Open-Secrets. Maybe it was the owners as individuals but still...[/FONT]

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    If I am not mistaken, some states do not allow the PD to resell weapons. If I had to guess (too lazy to look for their regs), Oregon being way left for the most part, is one of those states.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    [FONT=&amp]Udall, Mark (D-CO) and [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Heinrich, Martin (D-NM)[/FONT][FONT=&amp] is listed as a Recipient on Open-Secrets. Maybe it was the owners as individuals but still...[/FONT]

The Former now has a an "F" rating, the latter an "A" from the NRA. (per Wikipedia)

Really? They said they can’t.

The site there is soliciting recipients for charitable contribution, i.e. tax deductions for them.

Political contributions are a horse of a different color.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    "the guns needed to be destroyed" is a logical conclusion from the premise "the guns are the problem."

Benchmade, the police department, the judge, and some of you have bought into that premise and invested yourselves emotionally in it.

I do not, and I never will.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    States' rights.

If a state says that guns used in crimes should be destroyed and not re-sold, then that's up to the state. And the voters in that state.

I think that's a stupid policy, but I don't live there. But I do live in a state that has a policy for how to determine how and when guns will be destroyed. I think that's a stupid policy too, but good luck changing it.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    In this current political climate, I doubt many departments resell firearms they have accumulated. The PR nightmare that would follow if one of those was used in a crime later is likely more concerning than the small amount of revenue it would generate. I don't agree with it, but it is where were are now.

Lots and lots of departments sell confiscated firearms. Century has an entire page of them and I get email about every other month with their new "inventory" of confiscated firearms. I purchased one cheapo single shot for a customer and the gun still had the evidence tag still on the butt.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    States' rights.

If a state says that guns used in crimes should be destroyed and not re-sold, then that's up to the state. And the voters in that state.

I think that's a stupid policy, but I don't live there. But I do live in a state that has a policy for how to determine how and when guns will be destroyed. I think that's a stupid policy too, but good luck changing it.

Still have no obligation to assist the government in carring out the law, especially if it would look terrible your company if for some reason somebody would happen to take a photo of you doing it and uploaded it to social media.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    States' rights.

Indiana has a statute mandating the destruction of certain firearms?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indiana has a statute mandating the destruction of certain firearms?

Re-read what I wrote. ;) There's rules about how and when guns will be destroyed. IIRC, at the municipal level, they can be auctioned or destroyed. My recollection is that some municipalities opt to destroy the ones unclaimed or unclaimable.

IC 35-47-3-2.

That was quick googling, I feel like there's more to it.

Shouldn't be any reason to destroy a functioning firearm. Sell it to a dealer or have it sold on consignment. Revert the proceeds to the general fund. Mo money.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I keep reading (other forums) that this is being perceived as a political statement by BM? First, the police posted the pictures, not BM. Second, does anyone honestly believe that BM thinks their customer base is mostly anti-gun Democrats? You don’t even need to do market research to know that’s crazy. There is no way a marketing department would agree to this.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Re-read what I wrote. ;) There's rules about how and when guns will be destroyed. IIRC, at the municipal level, they can be auctioned or destroyed. My recollection is that some municipalities opt to destroy the ones unclaimed or unclaimable.

IC 35-47-3-2.

That was quick googling, I feel like there's more to it.

Shouldn't be any reason to destroy a functioning firearm. Sell it to a dealer or have it sold on consignment. Revert the proceeds to the general fund. Mo money.
    I read “will be destroyed” differently than you. It was an honest question, I was wondering if there was a statute I was unaware of.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Great. Now we have to pick the right knife for our group.

Can't we just stop all this nonsense?
    No its time to pick sides in this country. No more playing the middle. I know a lot of pansies are going to be upset by that, having to untuck their junk and be a man for once in their life but its past time.

Top Bottom