• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I don't think anyone here knows for sure they weren't using the M9, unless they are a member of SEAL Team 6.

However, I'd be betting heavily, even if SEAL Team 6 wasn't using them, that there were a good number of personnel on the mission that did indeed have M9s with them.

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    don't most seal teams use a different pistol? granted the pilots and such probably had them.

For the record I do not believe they had to be carrying anything made by beretta for that company or any others to thank them. They did the world a favor.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Last I heard the SEALs were issued the P226. However, the SEALs aren't like other units in the military, they can run pretty much anything they want to.

seal-diver-pistol.jpg

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Could be worse,when dad flew they carried .38`s!

Every time we go to the range together, my dad still whines about the .38s they were issued. It was about half way through his career that they started qualifying with the M9, which is kind of sad considering that would have been mid to late '80s.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I doubt they went with a Beretta 92. My guess would be Sig or maybe H&K but we will probably never know...

Google-fu suggest that standard issue is the P226, so I think it is safe to assume that there were several of those. I would imagine that the SEALs arent entirely limited to standard issue though.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Glock 7, FTW!

While I agree that that many service members attached to the mission carried M9's, I highly doubt that any of the DEVGRU operators were carrying them, nor would I purport that it was the firearm that did the deed. Not that the latter is the intended statement by Beretta, but I read that ad as a shameless marketing ploy by the company to jump on the SEAL Team 6 badassery as of late...hoping that some goober would read it and buy a 92FS or M9 so they can be as cool as the Teams guys.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    It is very likly that long ago the Seals were the first guys to use the M9. A quick google search for articles is telling me that the Navy Special Warfare Center was very heavily involved with initial testing, so it really isn't unthinkable that Team 6 was issued them. Keeping in mind of course that the Beretta release said nothing about current use, but rather Team 6 was the first user. I cant imagine they are telling fibs, but more like conveniently leaving out the information on current issue.

The True Story of the Beretta M9 Pistol

In other news, there is another source saying it was a HK416 which preformed the deed!

Military Times Gear Scout

Top Bottom