• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep. But they're letting it happen too. They wink at this nonsense.

The student responded: "I'm trying to take my test." Another protester snapped back: "We're trying to live our lives ... white boy with privilege."

The white boy with privilege presumably would not be able to disrupt class and demand take home tests. Who has the real privilege? And it's not even about race. I think if the white boy were defending the "oppressed" position, he probably would be privileged to disrupt the class.

And this is the reverse racism of which I speak.....but softly so as not to offend.....:(

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Yep. But they're letting it happen too. They wink at this nonsense.

The student responded: "I'm trying to take my test." Another protester snapped back: "We're trying to live our lives ... white boy with privilege."

The white boy with privilege presumably would not be able to disrupt class and demand take home tests. Who has the real privilege? And it's not even about race. I think if the white boy were defending the "oppressed" position, he probably would be privileged to disrupt the class.
    No, he'd then be accused of using his rayciss white privilege to appropriate another culture!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If there is such a thing as "reverse" racism, what is the nature of "regular" or "standard" (or feel free to use your own term here) racism?

OK.......I knew this would bring a few out of the wood work.

If you see it in society fine.
    If you do not then fine as well.

It is what I have seen and experienced so hence my opinion.

That is all.

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    OK.......I knew this would bring a few out of the wood work.

If you see it in society fine.
    If you do not then fine as well.

It is what I have seen and experienced so hence my opinion.

That is all.

I'm just not clear on what it is you mean by reverse racism. How is it reversed? What is the "forward" direction of racism?

I've seen some posts complimenting you specifically so I presume you're a respected person around here. Surely you're not expressing something so blatantly racist as what is typically known as "reverse racism". Or, if you are, maybe you'd have enough gut to own it as publicly as you tossed it out there the first time.

I'm here to learn.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm just not clear on what it is you mean by reverse racism. How is it reversed? What is the "forward" direction of racism?

Pretty obvious what I was saying.
    That is all pretty much means I am done talking about this as it most likely should not have been brought up.

It is to be treated to what they will call a dose of your own medicine. If you have had enough social interactions across cultures you will get some of this sometime somewhere.

There is no forward to racism. That you ask is puzzling to me.

But again, That is all.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pretty obvious what I was saying.
    That is all pretty much means I am done talking about this as it most likely should not have been brought up.

It is to be treated to what they will call a dose of your own medicine. If you have had enough social interactions across cultures you will get some of this sometime somewhere.

There is no forward to racism. That you ask is puzzling to me.

But again, That is all.

I think what he's saying (and after thinking about it, I agree), is that to admit that "reverse racism" is a thing, then the "normal" state of racism is that illustrated by white people. It actually conveys a pretty negative opinion of white people in general, it that it implies that white people are typically racist. Similarly, "Reverse racism" implies that amongst minorities, racism is atypical. In effect, I think Paul is saying racism is racism, and needs no qualification.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have heard the term "reverse racism" for a lot of years (I'm 51, so I'd guess 45-ish years), & until this thread, had never heard the term use followed by "What's that, what do you mean?" or similar. Geez....

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

I've seen some posts complimenting you specifically so I presume you're a respected person around here. Surely you're not expressing something so blatantly racist as what is typically known as "reverse racism". Or, if you are, maybe you'd have enough gut to own it as publicly as you tossed it out there the first time.

I'm here to learn.
    :toilet2:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I'm here to learn.

Calm down. There's no need to get snippy with someone you don't even know. It would have helped if you'd have just been up front with it from the start and explained what you meant by that. Instead you came off as accusatory. If you'd have just said there's no such thing as "reverse racism", there's only racism, no matter what race you are, I think what you were trying to say would have been clearer. This is on you.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm going to disagree with you. There is indeed a such thing as reverse racism. Reverse racism is against your own race. Rachel Dolezal might be an example of that. The white virtue signaling social justice anti-white bigots are definitely an example of that. The infamous pasty white, mullet wearing "you're a ****ing white male" internet sensation is an example of that. So there is such a thing as reverse racism. But as for normal racism that is against any race by any other race.

In case you're wondering, there's such a thing as reverse sexism too. Basically all male feminists are that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think what he's saying (and after thinking about it, I agree), is that to admit that "reverse racism" is a thing, then the "normal" state of racism is that illustrated by white people. It actually conveys a pretty negative opinion of white people in general, it that it implies that white people are typically racist. Similarly, "Reverse racism" implies that amongst minorities, racism is atypical. In effect, I think Paul is saying racism is racism, and needs no qualification.

I now know that no one reads my posts. I've said this several times on INGO over the years. It's now just a grand revelation? It's a truism.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Hence why I'm not a teacher in spite of my proclivity for explaining things and many people telling me I should be one. I'd be the teacher everyone's afraid to get because I actually fail them. except the couple each year that are actually firing on all cylinders who love my class. Then I'd probably get sacked for saying something mean.

My wife's a middle school math teacher. A damned good one at that. She's (usually...ahem) organized and planned out many weeks in advance. She tracks every single missing and/or late assignment. She keeps track of every single parent contact, whether it be via email or by phone. She saves all the emails for years - and she makes notes of what was said in the phone calls and saves those in a spreadsheet. She allows her students to earn their grades. She runs a TIGHT ship in her classroom. She's tough but fair. MORE than fair judging by how many times she allows re-takes of her tests.

And what is she rewarded with? She's rewarded with having the lowest performing students assigned to her classes. It's been better the last handful of years - but before that, for about 8 years - she was given the "not quite remedial" students. Including a huge chunk of kids who were very low level English speakers.

Don't get me wrong - this is a choice she made long ago and continues to make by not seeking other employment... But unless you're a teacher of an advanced or elective course - the better you are at your job/classroom management - the worse your students will be because the admin knows you can handle it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Agreed. That got my minds attention last night and again, how is this conveyed. I have been subjected to a racist attitude by those that call us (Me/whites) racists.
    When I would go into a predominately black area to work (Working on section 8 homes HVAC and general maint) I got a pretty good taste of this. Hateful. Makes no sense. I am there to help. Free to them as my customer was the home owner. I could go into detail but no need.
    Point is, venturing into "Their" area was not acceptable by so many but if I were to act in that manner when those same folks venture into my area (just an example as my area is mixed with all cultures) I would be labeled and possibly be speaking to LEO. Double standards. They exist across the board. Racism runs in both ways. Reverse was just the term that came to mind.

The hate is everywhere.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My wife's a middle school math teacher. A damned good one at that. She's (usually...ahem) organized and planned out many weeks in advance. She tracks every single missing and/or late assignment. She keeps track of every single parent contact, whether it be via email or by phone. She saves all the emails for years - and she makes notes of what was said in the phone calls and saves those in a spreadsheet. She allows her students to earn their grades. She runs a TIGHT ship in her classroom. She's tough but fair. MORE than fair judging by how many times she allows re-takes of her tests.

And what is she rewarded with? She's rewarded with having the lowest performing students assigned to her classes. It's been better the last handful of years - but before that, for about 8 years - she was given the "not quite remedial" students. Including a huge chunk of kids who were very low level English speakers.

Don't get me wrong - this is a choice she made long ago and continues to make by not seeking other employment... But unless you're a teacher of an advanced or elective course - the better you are at your job/classroom management - the worse your students will be because the admin knows you can handle it.

This is in all professions. The better you are at your job the harder you have to work at it. The difficult problems land on your lap because you can deal with them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I'm here to learn.

Wow. You need to catch up. I know you are new so we let this one go. This can be and is an emotional topic. I have explained myself.
    I am far from being a racists as one can be. There was a time when I was taught the hate that went with this ugly word but that was a troubled time. You have no idea the level of interaction I have had in my life with all cultures. My trade took me into this.

Yes, being treated with racial bias is in fact reverse. When we as the culture most labeled as racists are treated the same way by those who label us then yes, it is being reversed. That is the best way I can explain it. I only posses a high school education and am no word smith.

You did come off a bit harshly.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

This is in all professions. The better you are at your job the harder you have to work at it. The difficult problems land on your lap because you can deal with them.

I've been trying to explain this to my wife regarding work. She's a hard worker when pushed and will work her fingers to the bone and come home an anxious, nervous wreck to get everything done while coworkers skate by doing the bare minimum and occasionally using her as the moral punching bag/skapegoat. Seems every week there's more to do in less time and nobody in the dept does anything but criticize. "I do everything right and get everything done, why does this keep happening, why do I have to deal with this?". my answer: "because you get it done and you let it happen"

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There's no such thing as reverse racism.

Kind of. "Reverse" racism would be the opposite of racism, which, I would think would entail the absence of race-based decision making.

When people abuse the English language by referring to racism against a group that, traditionally, was viewed as not being subject to racism as "reverse racism", they are just adding unnecessary and inaccurate modifiers.

Racism- one word, one concept. The term itself is colorblind.

Top Bottom