• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Kind of. "Reverse" racism would be the opposite of racism, which, I would think would entail the absence of race-based decision making.

When people abuse the English language by referring to racism against a group that, traditionally, was viewed as not being subject to racism as "reverse racism", they are just adding unnecessary and inaccurate modifiers.

Racism- one word, one concept. The term itself is colorblind.

Not sure I agree. I do agree that the term itself is colorblind in that the racism depends on the race of the racist person. But reverse isn't necessarily the opposite. More like it's flipped, inverted. So in my thinking, reverse racism would be, instead of a racial preference for your race over others, it would be a racial preference for other races over yours.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not sure I agree. I do agree that the term itself is colorblind in that the racism depends on the race of the racist person. But reverse isn't necessarily the opposite. More like it's flipped, inverted. So in my thinking, reverse racism would be, instead of a racial preference for your race over others, it would be a racial preference for other races over yours.

...and even by that definition, it is not what people usually mean when they refer to as "reverse racism".

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Disrupting an exam SHOULD be an automatic zero on that exam. Then the snowflakes can take it up to a review board for why they failed the exam and the class.

Good luck with that.

UC Berkeley exam disruption story:

In the fall of 1987, I was enrolled in Continuum Mechanics. When preparing for the midterm, the TA assured us more than once that we did not need to memorize anything. If we needed a formula, he would give it to us during the exam.

Fast forward to midterm day. The exam was in class with a time limit! But that's not all!

I needed a formula, so I went to the front of the room and politely asked the TA to provide it. He refused, saying (and I quote), "You should know that."

I became irate, but he refused to fulfill his commitment.

I returned to my seat.

I became more irate (I was not the easy going, happy go lucky pachyderm of recent years).

Then I decided I wasn't having it. I very loudly crumbled my exam papers, went to the front of the room, and bounced them off of his chest.

Then I left.

My score: 0

I'd do it again. I hate liars and dishonorable jackasses who don't follow-through on their word.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

In the fall of 1987, I was enrolled in Continuum Mechanics. When preparing for the midterm, the TA assured us more than once that we did not need to memorize anything. If we needed a formula, he would give it to us during the exam.

Fast forward to midterm day. The exam was in class with a time limit! But that's not all!

I needed a formula, so I went to the front of the room and politely asked the TA to provide it. He refused, saying (and I quote), "You should know that."

I returned to my seat.

I became more irate (I was not the easy going, happy go lucky pachyderm of recent years).

Then I decided I wasn't having it. I very loudly crumbled my exam papers, went to the front of the room, and bounced them off of his chest.

Then I left.

I'd do it again. I hate liars and dishonorable jackasses who don't follow-through on their word.

Did your actions show or teach the person anything....at all.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I returned to my seat.

Then I left.

For all that satisfaction, he's left sitting there with a crumpled paper to throw away. You're left with a zero.

My exam disruption story is more like an exam disruption prevention story. I have really bad ADD. And I am easily distracted by anything. The exam had just one problem, a proof. So I was working on my proof and the teacher was shooting the breeze with a student and I could not keep my train of thought. I shushed her, and she actually stfu'd. I felt very powerful in those moments.

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    I have heard the term "reverse racism" for a lot of years (I'm 51, so I'd guess 45-ish years), & until this thread, had never heard the term use followed by "What's that, what do you mean?" or similar. Geez....

I know what its supposed to mean but theres no such thing. Reverse racism is just racism.

People that buy into and use these concepts are perpetuating racism and it is my personal opinion that they oughtta own up to it.

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    I think what he's saying (and after thinking about it, I agree), is that to admit that "reverse racism" is a thing, then the "normal" state of racism is that illustrated by white people. It actually conveys a pretty negative opinion of white people in general, it that it implies that white people are typically racist. Similarly, "Reverse racism" implies that amongst minorities, racism is atypical. In effect, I think Paul is saying racism is racism, and needs no qualification.

Yes, this.

Reverse racism is regular racism as well as racist, though I'll concede that the racist part may be unintentional/accidental...

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    Wow. You need to catch up. I know you are new so we let this one go. This can be and is an emotional topic. I have explained myself.
    I am far from being a racists as one can be. There was a time when I was taught the hate that went with this ugly word but that was a troubled time. You have no idea the level of interaction I have had in my life with all cultures. My trade took me into this.

Yes, being treated with racial bias is in fact reverse. When we as the culture most labeled as racists are treated the same way by those who label us then yes, it is being reversed. That is the best way I can explain it. I only posses a high school education and am no word smith.

You did come off a bit harshly.

What, specifically, are you going to "let go"? What is it, exactly, that was harsh?

I asked you an either/or with opposite attitudes, no? I extended a 'benefit of the doubt' sort of qualification right up front with "surely you're not...", no?

If asking you direct questions is off limits, all you gotta do is say so, man.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What, specifically, are you going to "let go"? What is it, exactly, that was harsh?

I asked you an either/or with opposite attitudes, no? I extended a 'benefit of the doubt' sort of qualification right up front with "surely you're not...", no?

If asking you direct questions is off limits, all you gotta do is say so, man.

OK lets do this. I have answered your question as have many others in this thread. I have answered it a dew times.
    I am not the only member o see you were a bit harsh. I am not alone in this. Have you not read the thread or are you in fact looked on and not seeing what many have stated. The discussion has been ongoing since your post. I suggest you go back and read the thread.

I have explained my opinion and my observations. I have also asked the more well read posters in the Forum what would be the proper term to use in the situations I mentioned. Post #46 to be exact.
    What are you pressing. I see these actions as racism (as described by those who have labeled us as racists) as racism in reverse. It is most clear that we are the only real racists. I see hear read it daily. I am cautious as to what I say so as not to be labeled as such. It gets tiresome.
    It also gets tiresome when folks keep pressing a topic that has been clearly discussed in the open in a most civil manner.
    Yes, you apparently need to catch up.

And what I am specifically letting go was not wanting to was having this conversation. Let it go means pretty much just that and I explained that already. But we did have it and it was pretty enlightening at least to me. Did you not get anything from it. Or were you offended by my post.

Now.....what are you looking for here. You seem to be on a closed course with no real end. Your direct question has been answered.
    You really do need to catch up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know what its supposed to mean but theres no such thing. Reverse racism is just racism.

People that buy into and use these concepts are perpetuating racism and it is my personal opinion that they oughtta own up to it.

Look at my avatar. Those 2 angels and their 10 year old sister are mixed. They are the very light of my life. Their father is a member of this family. He is a young man of color. I am the absolute negative of a racist.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I smell a shooter, yes, yes I do.

Well, lets work through this one. It is possible this new member has an insight into the world that I have not yet seen or experienced in my long life. Lets learn something about the new guy. He has jumped in with both feet and hands swinging for the bleachers.

Lets see.

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    OK lets do this. I have answered your question as have many others in this thread. I have answered it a dew times.
    I am not the only member o see you were a bit harsh. I am not alone in this. Have you not read the thread or are you in fact looked on and not seeing what many have stated. The discussion has been ongoing since your post. I suggest you go back and read the thread.

I have explained my opinion and my observations. I have also asked the more well read posters in the Forum what would be the proper term to use in the situations I mentioned. Post #46 to be exact.
    What are you pressing. I see these actions as racism (as described by those who have labeled us as racists) as racism in reverse. It is most clear that we are the only real racists. I see hear read it daily. I am cautious as to what I say so as not to be labeled as such. It gets tiresome.
    It also gets tiresome when folks keep pressing a topic that has been clearly discussed in the open in a most civil manner.
    Yes, you apparently need to catch up.

And what I am specifically letting go was not wanting to was having this conversation. Let it go means pretty much just that and I explained that already. But we did have it and it was pretty enlightening at least to me. Did you not get anything from it. Or were you offended by my post.

Now.....what are you looking for here. You seem to be on a closed course with no real end. Your direct question has been answered.
    You really do need to catch up.

I'm replying with quote to your replies to me - I dont call that pressing.

If you, as a man (as well as anyone else included in your "we"), need to be spoken to softly...well thats something you'll have to sort out for yourself, but I disagree that I said anything harsh.

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    Well, lets work through this one. It is possible this new member has an insight into the world that I have not yet seen or experienced in my long life. Lets learn something about the new guy. He has jumped in with both feet and hands swinging for the bleachers.

Lets see.

You guys can obviously do what you like. But I'll be as challenging an argument opponent as I can be - which I believe is a GOOD thing - if/when I jump into something. Articulation/dialogue is our greatest strength as humans. To discuss things is how we make progress. Without dialogue our only recourse is violence. Thus, I am of the mind we should WELCOME opposite/differing opinions. And not only that but we should create not straw men arguments and tear them down but rather we should build IRON MAN arguments and try to tear those down.

If my words are biting - which I hope they are! - it could very well mean you have something worth your time to figure out. It could mean I'm a jerk, sure...but you'll have to actually engage honestly to find out. Anything less and you're taking away from YOURSELF, not your opponent...

Top Bottom