• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Why is the model G safety mod recommended? I'm not sure I understand what it does specifically (decocks but stays in condition 1??), mine does decocking fine as is.

The G model modification makes it a "decocker only," like the decocker lever on a classic Sig P22x series pistol. The lever will spring back up into the fire position, there is no way to put the pistol on "safe." This is preferable for a lot of people who don't like a manual safety on a pistol. This includes me. I'm not a big fan of DA/SA pistols, but did just order a police-trade S&W 4006 to play with, in large part because it is a decocker only model, specifically built with that feature for the requesting agency.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    The G model modification makes it a "decocker only," like the decocker lever on a classic Sig P22x series pistol. The lever will spring back up into the fire position, there is no way to put the pistol on "safe." This is preferable for a lot of people who don't like a manual safety on a pistol. This includes me. I'm not a big fan of DA/SA pistols, but did just order a police-trade S&W 4006 to play with, in large part because it is a decocker only model, specifically built with that feature for the requesting agency.
    TY for the explanation, I think I would like that feature as well since I keep my 1911 TRP ready to fire too.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I recently picked up a 92FS from IGC as a carry pistol. So far I like it other than the gritty/hard trigger pull and non-night sights. The price was right at <$600 OTD, and the only other feature I kinda wanted was a light rail version (M9A3?).

As others here recommended, I am thinking about doing the Wilson short reach steel trigger & chrome silicon spring upgrade.

I see many also do the Wilson skeletonized hammer as well. What advantage does this mod give and why is it an "upgrade"?

I also checked several videos out about smoothing out the trigger action by using 2000 grit to smooth the contact surfaces of the trigger bar. I am good with hand tools but am a novice when it comes to gun mods, think can I safely do the sandpaper smoothing myself? What other simple mods are recommended?

I am also a southpaw, any good recommendations for a lefty holster? Left hand holsters seem to be very difficult to find at a brick & mortar stores to check out and I hate the idea of ordering one online not knowing if I will like it.

P.S. Why is the model G safety mod recommended? I'm not sure I understand what it does specifically (decocks but stays in condition 1??), mine does decocking fine as is.
    The G modification makes your safety a decocker only, it springs back up after you decock and doesn't stay down in the safe position. People like it because if you have to manipulate your slide under stress you won't have inadvertently put your gun on 'safe'. For the Beretta's you'd probably be just fine with either the LTT or Wilson trigger bar and a lighter mainspring (you can polish them like you said but you're still left with the same geometry), the hammers are nice but not essential. The LTT trigger job in a bag is the ultimate though if you want the best trigger. Wilson has some nice left handed holsters on sale right now but yeah you'd have to order them sight unseen.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

If looking for mags for that 4006, try Robertson’s Trading Post. I’ve had very good luck with them over the years and bought my 4006 mags from them.
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/974988...r-Stainless-models-4003-4004-4026-4043-40.htm

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Based on the new software of this site, not surprised to see yesterday listed before Saturday which as I write this was 4 days ago.

Anyway Beretta wise, Just want to repeat for those new to the 92 series about the magazines. Would highly suggest staying with Beretta "factory" marked PB mags, MDS mags who also makes/made "factory" mags and I in fact have a couple MDS mags with identical to factory PB mags except for MDS replacing PB. They are otherwise identical. Also Mec-gar mags were factory for Beretta for a long time. Can't remember if MDS and or Mec-gar still make the PB mags for Beretta but regardless, any of the three would be a great investment in sure to work mags.

indyblue said:
    I recently picked up a 92FS from IGC as a carry pistol. So far I like it other than the gritty/hard trigger pull and non-night sights. The price was right at <$600 OTD, and the only other feature I kinda wanted was a light rail version (M9A3?).

The easiest and cheapest way to get a great trigger feel is either 300 or so rounds down range or buy a snap cap and watch TV for a while while pulling the trigger. It is amazing how smooth the Beretta is after a few hundred rounds.

Top Bottom