• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FirstTime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    So.. In a few short months I will be purchasing my first hand gun and I'm really interested in the 1911. Any of you have a preference or maybe just useful information to share in order to help me? I will be in the ball park of $1k. Anything will be appreciated, thank you.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    If you are relatively new too handguns like me, might go route of RIA. It is giving me opportunity to see if a 1911 is for me. Leaves a lot for ammo. So far I am pleased and now know one 1911 will not be enough.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    This is what I wish I would have done before I bought my first 1911. I wish I had bought used or a value priced 1911 before I jumped into the higher end models. By going that way, I could have become familiar with 1911 pistols and learned how to properly disassemble, clean, and reassemble them without much fear of putting the dreaded idiot mark or any kind of ding on them. Plus, you'll be able to see whether 1911 type pistols are going to be for you.

My first 1911, and the one I would recommend to answer your original question, is a Springfield Loaded. These are tremendously accurate guns and Springfield's Customer Service is top notch, so no worries there. Just keep in mind that Springfield's are a little more difficult to take apart and put back together than other brands, or mine are anyway. My runner up recommendation would be a Smith and Wesson E Series.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Used Colt.

DSC_0011_zps69c06c3d.jpg

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Realistically, no matter what it is, expect issues.

Know what issues you could have, and how to correct them before you buy.

Look for the best quality components and forget the name. I really dislike kimber since they need some things swapped out of the box to run right, but they do seem to use good metal for the slides and frames and have served me well.

Can grab a custom II or stainless II for under a grand. I'd be looking at a colt or an SA side by side with a kimber before making a choice.
    I'd like to recommend the ruger SR1911, but I haven't seen any around. I'd much rather have one of them than my kimber, I can say that much though.

FirstTime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Ive done a bit of research and the Kimber looks great and once you get it operating properly they are great I agree. However the RIA 1911 is ridiculous for the price. Like most people..... Im not one to want the cheapest of anything so in a position like this I believe Im going to go with Colt or SA. Great tips guys

Top Bottom