• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FirstTime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I knock RIAS's to much as they are a roll of the dice. If you get a good one, you are going to enjoy it. If you throw snake eyes...well, Nuff said.

Ive found it hard to find any reviews that have said or suggested to exactly stay away from the RIAs 1911s but experience for those individuals may have been different and me with no experience at all.... I have to take your opinion seriously and go with my first thought which was to shoot (pun intended) for one with a more average price which I believe to be in that 1k range. Again, thank you.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    The first thing to consider in a 1911 purchase is what are you going to do with it. Carry or target or whatever.

I have several and they all have their purpose. I am particularly a Colt fan, but there are many quality brands to choose from. There a lot of great 1911's for under a grand.

Welcome the to 1911 world.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    RIAs are decent enough firearms. I've shot a couple, but the difference in quality, feel and accuracy when you bump up to $750 range is hugenormous IMO. If you only have $500 to spend, a RIA would be a good buy. But if you got that other $250..... Then you'll really be happy with something like the Loaded.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Or get a Rock Island, spend $350 on ammo, and $200 on training.

You have one of the good ones. I have buddy's who have and shoot them They are OK but are needy guns. They are always working on them. They are not all that accurate as to groups compared to the SA's and Rugers mentioned above. Just a fact of life. These pieces add to the myth that 1911's require a butt load of work. Some are mag/ammo sensitive.
    The ones we are suggesting run reliably, hit what you point them at and are a joy to shoot. JMHO
    As to the training, the gun has to run very well to use in a training class.
    Again, no knock or slam intended.

FordBronco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Hartsville
    I have a couple and working on another. All shoot great and will not trade or sell any 1911 - but I will continue to buy them as I can.

My first was the Ithaca 50th anniversary model - picked up in 1996, actually made by Kimber before they started making Kimber pistols.

My second was a Springfield Loaded in Black / Stainless two-tone. Picked it up used, but only had about 50 rounds through it at the most. Still had the box and all the paper work.

Quite happy with both and expect to get another one... that is if my Dealer can get the Ruger sr1911 that I have already paid for! But, that is another story...

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    When I was in the market for a 1911, I tried every one that Midwest had in the store. I passed up the Kimber case several times because of the prices but eventually I had to try them. Believe me, it's true. You WILL know the one that's right for you just about as soon as you pick it up.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Not true..... buy a QUALITY mid range 1911 (SA Loaded, RO, ect ect) and it will run fine. RIA are a crap shoot, Kimbers are a crap shoot.

Agreed. I put ~1500-2000 rds through my Colt 1991A1 Compact and had all of 1 problem, and that was a .40 that was accidentally loaded into the mag. It still fed and fired it flawlessly.... it just coulnd't eject it. The Springfield Mil-Spec I just sold to my father was just as reliable with ~ 300rds through it. So far the Springe loaded I have has been just as good. FMJ;s, HP's and even flat nosed Corbons feed fine.

bluehdflhrs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So.. In a few short months I will be purchasing my first hand gun and I'm really interested in the 1911. Any of you have a preference or maybe just useful information to share in order to help me? I will be in the ball park of $1k. Anything will be appreciated, thank you.
    Buy a Ruger SR1911.Trust me best gun for the price.Ruger service cant be beat eather.

Top Bottom