• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Sig 1911s are good, and I like the one that I have. A Sig 1911 is a good choice. I have no complaints out of mine, and would recommend Sig.

That being said, if you were looking for more of a target pistol I would recommend the Springfield Range Officer. No other 1911 in that price range has shot as well in my experience. The RO is the cheapest SA 1911 assembled in the US Springfield custom shop, and in my opinion is a steal at the price point.

If you are looking for a carry pistol, I would recommend the Springfield loaded. They are not quite as tight as the Range Officers - so they are generally a bit less accurate, but the low profile sights make them a little easier to carry and draw. Also, the loaded can be had in stainless steel, which in my experience shows less wear and can buff out - a nice thing to have if you are as hard on your carry guns as I am. When I say "less accurate", we are talking about groupings, and the difference of at most an inch - and the loaded models are generally as accurate as about any other 1911 in that range, minus the RO.

Some RIAs run great, some do not - but this seems to be the case with most low end 1911's. I have owned an RIA in the past that I had no issues out of, and if you get a good one at a decent price they are worth the cost. The one thing that keeps me away from armscor 1911s nowadays is that they are often built on cast frames. While I do not think a cast frame is necessarily "too weak", it is weaker than a forged frame and some smiths do not like to work on them if you intend to change anything in the future. As a note, many STI firearms - like the Spartan - have cast armscor frames.

Last edited:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm pretty new to 1911s myself, but have owned/shot a few.
    My husband loves any 1911 45 ACP made by Kimber- actually, i think he would love any 45 ACP 1911. I have shot his Kimber quite a bit. It's always been a great gun with no issues. He had a Kimber 1911 9mm, neither of us cared for it.
    My first 1911 was the Springield EMP 9mm (need to change my profile pic, as I have traded it in). Nice gun, but we didn't really bond, for some reason. Once broken in, it was flawless.
    My current 1911 is a SIG 45 ACP compact. I've been in love with it ever since i first laid eyes on it. My husband thinks he might go with a SIG for his 2nd 1911, when we can afford it. The only issue I've had with it is that it is a little picky about reloaded ammo. We had an old 3-turret press from Lee, but changing to the 4-turret press and new dies seems to have solved that.
    I agree with the advice to go handle as many as possible. Some look a lot alike, but have a different feel and balance in the hand.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    The only issue I've had with it is that it is a little picky about reloaded ammo. We had an old 3-turret press from Lee, but changing to the 4-turret press and new dies seems to have solved that.

I've had this problem myself, and it's related to the crimp you put on the cartridge. We had to re-crimp some of our reloads with a factory crimp die to get them to feed all the way into the throat of the barrel for my gun.

I blame Sig's awesomely tight tolerances :):

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you are looking for a carry pistol, I would recommend the Springfield loaded. They are not quite as tight as the Range Officers - so they are generally a bit less accurate,

:dunno:

001_zps72ead4c4.jpg

My Loaded from 10 yds. Last three 8rnd mags after 300rnds fired. The gun was hot and dirty.

I guess I couldve taken a pic of the first 5 rnds that poked out the center before ripping it to shreads, but i didnt.

My Loaded is tight as a drum, even after ~1.5k rnds. Ive never handled an RO but Ive heard from a good source they shoot just fine. I wouldnt call the Loaded any less accurate, its the shooter that makes the gun accurate more than anything.

I still think the Springer Loaded is the best all around 1911 for under 1k , I had a Sig XO for a little while. It was much more loosely fitted, and the grip safety would rattle when I walked while carrying it. It was a great gun and never gave me any trouble though, I just like my Springer better. Also with Springfield you get some of the best CS and warranty policies in the business, if that sort of thing matters to you. Also you can ship your gun to Springfield for custom work.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    :dunno:

001_zps72ead4c4.jpg

My Loaded from 10 yds. Last three 8rnd mags after 300rnds fired. The gun was hot and dirty.

I guess I couldve taken a pic of the first 5 rnds that poked out the center before ripping it to shreads, but i didnt.

My Loaded is tight as a drum, even after ~1.5k rnds. Ive never handled an RO but Ive heard from a good source they shoot just fine. I wouldnt call the Loaded any less accurate, its the shooter that makes the gun accurate more than anything.

I still think the Springer Loaded is the best all around 1911 for under 1k , I had a Sig XO for a little while. It was much more loosely fitted, and the grip safety would rattle when I walked while carrying it. It was a great gun and never gave me any trouble though, I just like my Springer better. Also with Springfield you get some of the best CS and warranty policies in the business, if that sort of thing matters to you. Also you can ship your gun to Springfield for custom work.

2.5" groups at 25 yards is not much a feat with a RO, if you are feeding it quality ammunition. My groups seem to be closer to 3"+ at 25 yards with my loaded. After handling at least a dozen of each, the Range Officers in generally seem to have a much tighter fit, and this often translates to a bit more accuracy. Keep in mind - I am not saying the loaded is not accurate... on the contrary, they are more than accurate enough for self defense... but the Range Officers are hand fitted with more care, here in the states - similar to the TRP line. I have yet to handle a loaded that is as tight as a Range Officer, or a Range Officer that is as loose as a mil-spec / loaded. This does not mean that a loaded cannot be as accurate as a Range Officer... this is just my experience drawn from the pistols I have personally handled.

Keep in mind, while a shooter may be the weakest link in most cases - even a bad shooter can get tighter groups with a more accurate firearm.

That being said, anyone who has carried a full sized 1911 with target sights likely understands why the sights on the loaded make it an easier handgun to carry regularly

Last edited:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    If you guys want to objectively gauge the accuracy of a gun you'll need to post up results targets shot from a rest with ammo the gun likes.

Any 1911 in this price range is going to be a good shooter, the difference between them will be so minimal that you'll likely never be a good enough offhand shooter to notice a difference.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    2.5" groups at 25 yards is not much a feat with a RO, if you are feeding it quality ammunition. My groups seem to be closer to 3"+ at 25 yards with my loaded. After handling at least a dozen of each, the Range Officers in generally seem to have a much tighter fit, and this often translates to a bit more accuracy. Keep in mind - I am not saying the loaded is not accurate... on the contrary, they are more than accurate enough for self defense... but the Range Officers are hand fitted with more care, here in the states - similar to the TRP line. I have yet to handle a loaded that is as tight as a Range Officer, or a Range Officer that is as loose as a mil-spec / loaded. This does not mean that a loaded cannot be as accurate as a Range Officer... this is just my experience drawn from the pistols I have personally handled.

Keep in mind, while a shooter may be the weakest link in most cases - even a bad shooter can get tighter groups with a more accurate firearm.

That being said, anyone who has carried a full sized 1911 with target sights likely understands why the sights on the loaded make it an easier handgun to carry regularly

The RO is more oriented for the "Range" hence the name. I have had a few of them and built a steel gun with one. The fit is extremely good for the price. I do like the loaded as a carry piece and they are well built with a lot of the extras already in place. At 1500 rds Kawtechs's loaded is just now getting broken in. These are lifetime pieces. That is something to consider when making your decision on what direction to go. If you are just feeling out the 1911 then a cast frame entry level piece is OK. If you do not like it, sell it and move on to something more suitable. If you are sure it is a 1911 you want, buy a Springer, sig or a Remington. I lean towards the Springfield's from personal experience. JMHO

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am impressed by the groups you guys shoot! I only have 550 rounds or so through my Champion Loaded and I am feeling good if I keep them all in a 8" circle at 10 yards standing off hand.

I know I have to learn and practice...a lot. If I can ever get to sub 3" groups at 10 yards, let alone 25 I would be impressed with myself.:D

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

I do understand what your saying, and Id like to shoot an RO. But Ive honestly never cared for target sights. I prefer 3 dots because most of the practice I do is geared toward defensive shooting. My Loaded has an NM serial number, if Im not mistaken that means it has the National Match frame made in USA. Not Brazil like some of them. It is, as Churhmouse, said just getting broke in. Give me a few more months and a couple thousand rnds and Ill post some more targets.

I like a good conversation between 1911 addicts. It helps keeps the kicks at bay.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Love my Colt! I just put another couple hundred rounds through it Monday, what a sweet shooting piece. I currently want to add a Ruger SR1911, I like the looks and options. I would also like a RO, or Loaded from Springer. I do like the Remingtons from the ad's but I haven't played with one yet. I really want an SR1911, did I say that already!?! :):

Top Bottom