• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    No real suggestions but I'm in the market at the same price range. I've looked at S&W E Series as well as SA. I might consider an SR1911 if there were any to be had at a normal price but with the shortage dealers are charging a real premium.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Another vote for SA. My Range Officer is exceptional. Not a single malfunction as of ~500 rounds. My officer size is a Sig Traditional Stainless, very nice as well. Overall, the SA is nicer to shoot.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Do you need it right now? Give it a few months, save another $500, and buy a Kimber.

I saw pics of your Eclipse Custom II in another thread and its a beautifull gun and I hate to burst your bubble but if you paid $1,300 for it you over paid. I almost bought an Eclipse Pro and the price on it was just a little over $900 I ended up buying a Compact Stainless and a couple CM mags for about $900 out the door.

I had a Sig 1911 and wish I never sold it now. SA is good and have good CS. Colt imho is over rated, they didnt do it first they bought the design from John Browning and slapped thier name on it just like they did with the AR-15/M-16 from Armalite.

The Sig 1911s are great guns and Im really now thinking about getting another. MSRP on them is high but real street price tends to be around 800-1000. So if you can find one thats What I would get.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Lots of great 1911's out there!! I got my Springfield GI last year for $500, great gun! I held a Springer Range Officer today and I really liked it, it was $799. If I had the money I would have bought the Colt, Kimber, and Range Officer! :):

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    What's your experience and opinion of the Para P-14? It's got a sizable magazine(14 rounds) supposedly has the same grip width as a single stack. It sits around 700 from grabagun. It's longer than I would've liked, but they make holsters for all kinds. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What's your experience and opinion of the Para P-14? It's got a sizable magazine(14 rounds) supposedly has the same grip width as a single stack. It sits around 700 from grabagun. It's longer than I would've liked, but they make holsters for all kinds. :)

I own a stainless P-14 Para Limited. One of the best shooters in the safe. The grips are a bit wider than a single stack but I have large hands. I also have a P-12 which is an officer size piece with 12 rd cap. P-14 Mags work in it as well but extend out a bit. I just recently acquired a GI single stack Para and it rocks. All are great pistols. I do not see a lot of support for them in these threads.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I just picked up a second Para P12, lightly used, for $540. I carry 12+1 and P14 mags for followup, so best of both worlds. You are indeed correct that the grip is the same width as a real 1911; it's just a little blockier. I can (barely) palm a basketball, so it's not an issue for me.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I cant believe no one else has mentioned this, RUGER SR 1911! It has a lot of extras and comes with a 7 and 8 round magazine. THe part that speaks volumes about it is everyone seems to want one. A year after its initial release, you still have trouble finding them on the shelves. THey sell as soon as the shops get them in stock. THat alone should speak volumes to someone just getiing into the 1911 game.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I cant believe no one else has mentioned this, RUGER SR 1911! LMAO!!! You really don't know why nobody is recommending a recall.... I mean Ruger? It has a lot of extras and comes with a 7 and 8 round magazine. THe part that speaks volumes about it is everyone seems to want one. I don't want one. Any of their tried and tested revolvers would be great, any any new automatic they've brough in the last couple years, no thanks. A year after its initial release, you still have trouble finding them on the shelves. THey sell as soon as the shops get them in stock. THat alone should speak volumes to someone just getiing into the 1911 game.

I'm not a Ruger hater, but I also read too much about recals to recommend one. What I have read, has kept me from buying one.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Ruger SR1911. Been shooting 1911's since before 1960 and the Ruger is my new carry gun. I have or do own SA Loaded, Colt, Para, Remington-Rand, Argentines, etc...

The timing was sheer luck as they can be hard to find. Got mine for $599 from Plainfield Shooting Supplies w/in 15 minutes of it's arrival. I admit to having a strong preference for a 1911 sans firing pin safety of any kind.

My SR1911 is very accurate and 100% reliable with many different magazines and ammo types.

A nice basic pistol that doesn't have a lot of unneeded extras.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Honestly Im surprised noone has mentioned the Taurus PT1911 yet. My uncle has one and he has put well over 1k rounds threw it and its been very reliable and really accurate. Has all the bells and whistles you could want and all for an out the door price at around the $800 mark.

Im not a huge Taurus fan but everyone Ive talked to that has a PT1911 says they are great for the money.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have never considered a Taurus as high on my list either. I recently ended up with one in a series of trades and intended to sell or trade it. It is a 24/7 Tactical in .45 ACP. I took it to the range and ran the snot out of it. It came new, un-fired in the box with 5 Taurus Mags. I ran all 5 twice in a near torture test. It never missed a beat and grouped well through the whole ordeal. I repeated that test a few days later with the same result. It ate any ammo I fed it and ran flawlessly. It is now my daily carry piece. The 1911's stay in the safe and if I drop this or kick it I will not need psycho therapy. I like it and feel it will respond in any situation for me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom