• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I'm not a Ruger hater, but I also read too much about recals to recommend one. What I have read, has kept me from buying one.

Wow. So you don't own any Smith&Wesson, Keltec, Taurus, Winchester, or Marlins either? They have all had recalls. I have heard that all responsible gun makers recall their errors to fix them. All of the others fix theirs without fanfare.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    If you are looking exclusively at 3" or 4", I would recommend the Kimber Pro Carry. If you are patient you can find a good used one, with a little left over for a holster and some additional mags.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Wow. So you don't own any Smith&Wesson, Keltec, Taurus, Winchester, or Marlins either? They have all had recalls. I have heard that all responsible gun makers recall their errors to fix them. All of the others fix theirs without fanfare.

Had a S&W 629 4", but sold it even though it ran flawlessly. Had a keltec pf9 but ended up getting rid of it also. Never owned a winchester and my only marlins were a 30-30 and 22mag. The difference between those is that the models had been out for quite a while in most cases and the bugs had been worked out. I'm not trying to bash Ruger because I wanted to buy an SR-9 and then heard about the recall and trigger problems. Then I wanted to buy an SR-556 but heard about the buffer tube wear and pin knocking inside the upper. It's not that I don't like Ruger, it's just that their latest offerings have ultimately been disappointing with recalls.

I've owned 4 ruger revolvers over the years and all were great tried and true models. My only reservations about the Ruger 1911 is that it's still new to them. Give it three or four years and then buy a new ruger 1911 when you can be sure it's squared away. Does that make you feel better about what I was getting at?

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    After reading page after page of negative reviews on Para, I will not be buying one. It seems like some people find gems, they love them to death. But most get crap, and more crap from their customer service. At least in regards to the warthog.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you don't just have to have new, I bought this used for < 800 and it looked new when I got it. I carry it daily.

Kimber CDP II Pro

kimber2px3.jpg

dlang0920

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    this is all good advise thank you guys not my thread but im looking into a 1911 purchase but only looking to spend 600 max sound like the springfield is my baby

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    What's the spiel with First and Second gen Kimbers? It seems like Second gen is worse, from what I've gathered. But why?

@Hoosier
    That's a nice looking gun :)

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Okay, I've researched it a bit. :p Does anyone have a decent line on Kimber Ultra Carry II's? I see that buds has them for 860ish.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I have owned four kimbers one of those was a ultra carry II it shot real nice. Like all kimbers I have shot, it was on par with the best of them. I had two kimbers that out shot my gold cup. Me my self just don't care for 1911's under 5" but alot of people do thow. Thats what makes the world go around everybody is different. Good luck

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I suppose my biggest concern is with the 3" is it maintaining enough muzzle velocity to get that minimum 12" of penetration. Are Kimbers rated for +p ammo? And, has anyone done ballistic gel tests for 3" .45's?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    1980's Springfield

Forged Slide
    Mimimal MIM Parts
    American Made

Don't have to worry about replacement parts fitting

LOL, I don't really know if any of that is true.

I checked into the 460 Rowland kit and my 80's Springfield I picked up for $500 was strong enough for the kit.
    Here is a list of 1911's that are not recommended for the kit.

• IAI (Israeli Arms International) - We've found the top lugs in the slides of the Philipines produced 1911s to be soft! We've not tested the Israeli made guns but would recommend extreme caution.
    • Rock Island Armory
    • Auto Ordnance
    • Taurus
    • Llama
    • AMT
    • Charles Daly
    • Essex
    • Remington Rand
    • Any "GI" 1911 (note: Springfield Armory Current Production models excluded)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    No matter what it is, like all 1911s that aren't hand built and have more than 1 round through them at the factory, it's a 50/50 chance it'll need work before it'll shoot. Yes, even a kimber.

I'd go for an S&W Enhanced model.
    45567cCxYPE3i0MMgW3ZtOoMwti4iTTv4xx_fLZuXj80Do5Lxo_6bnLOfCrWIG7Y9aIT19i_1SjteJLWrfwOJmmbv1GoLrV8c5ov-lZEwyAVhOlLwTEwFA6dwZGrgZU-ZnUH1hDaHvEE6rasdQE

It'll be about the least likely to need work.

I suppose my biggest concern is with the 3" is it maintaining enough muzzle velocity to get that minimum 12" of penetration. Are Kimbers rated for +p ammo? And, has anyone done ballistic gel tests for 3" .45's?

Put a flat bottom firing pin stop and extra power firing pin spring in anything you want to run +P with. I've ran plenty of rounds through my stainless II that are well above a +P rating with little to no frame battering. I never shot it before I did those upgrades though, as I believe they're necessary for all guns. Also of those rounds I loaded, none of them show signs of case swelling, just the common severely flattened primers like with all excessively hot loads. Don't try this at home.
    I also have a fairly heavy main spring, a GI guide rod and plug, and a standard 18 pound recoil spring. At least I'm pretty sure it's 18, it could be 16.

For that matter, I've ran 460 rowland with my other kimber with a very weak mainspring, and a full radiused firing pin stop and a 22 pound recoil spring with superficial battering. They're decently tough guns, you'll find that out if you have to take a dremel to one.

Or for that matter if you want 12" of penetration run the 7gr of unique over a 200gr hardcast SWC, my gun likes 1.240-1.245" OAL and runs it more reliably than 230gr ball. An SWC loaded that hot will do far more than you would have ever imagined.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom