• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Hello, doing a little research on the AK's and FAL's so far mostly. trying to decide which one to get. I am open to other guns as well. kind of on a budget so maybe around 500-700 federal reserve notes(they stopped being dollars a long time ago). Just want something durable, reliable, and with good mag availability.

I've seen a Saiga AK in .308, for 600ish, does anyone have any experience with these?

thanks and looking forward to having more options to consider:yesway:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Hello, doing a little research on the AK's and FAL's so far mostly. trying to decide which one to get. I am open to other guns as well. kind of on a budget so maybe around 500-700 federal reserve notes(they stopped being dollars a long time ago). Just want something durable, reliable, and with good mag availability.

I've seen a Saiga AK in .308, for 600ish, does anyone have any experience with these?

thanks and looking forward to having more options to consider:yesway:

The FAL is an EXCELLENT rifle, but hard to find under $700, You can buy a CETME for $400, but buy the STEEL MAGS:twocents:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'd say the AK edges out the SKS as the best budget battle rifle. Both have rugged durability, unquestionable reliability, and shoot a very popular and effective cartridge (7.62x39). The AK's advantage is of course in the detacheable magazine vs. the fixed box on the SKS.

SKS's are typically less expensive than AK's, and would get my vote for best budget battle rifle if the budget is the number one criteria.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'd say the AK edges out the SKS as the best budget battle rifle. Both have rugged durability, unquestionable reliability, and shoot a very popular and effective cartridge (7.62x39). The AK's advantage is of course in the detacheable magazine vs. the fixed box on the SKS.

SKS's are typically less expensive than AK's, and would get my vote for best budget battle rifle if the budget is the number one criteria.

They do sell detachable 20 & 30 rounds mag for the SKS:twocents:

rideac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    I am unsure about this as well. has anyone ever owned or shot multiple ak's? which did you prefer?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    They do sell detachable 20 & 30 rounds mag for the SKS:twocents:

Yep, and I've owned several varieties of them too. Short of the Tapco 20's I've not found any that I'd trust for actual battle rifle use.

Honestly most people are faster with stipper clips on the SKS for reloads anyway unless you get an SKS D or M that takes AK Mags. But then you're talking the same money for an AK anyway.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Yep, and I've owned several varieties of them too. Short of the Tapco 20's I've not found any that I'd trust for actual battle rifle use.

Honestly most people are faster with stipper clips on the SKS for reloads anyway unless you get an SKS D or M that takes AK Mags. But then you're talking the same money for an AK anyway.

I converted my SKS{very easy to do}to detachable mags. BUT make sure the mags aren't jammers:twocents:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Battle rifle implies a full-on rifle cartridge (i.e. .308 and up). As mentioned, a CETME is the least expensive and still reliable option.

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    I am unsure about this as well. has anyone ever owned or shot multiple ak's? which did you prefer?

i have a romanian "G" & a yugoslavian underfolder. wouldn't say either is a bad choice, but i like the yugo more although the cheek weld isn't the best with the folding stock. if you decide on an ak, you should inspect it pretty thoroughly. most common problems i look for are crooked front sight & excessive magazine wobble(some is normal)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i have a romanian "G" & a yugoslavian underfolder. wouldn't say either is a bad choice, but i like the yugo more although the cheek weld isn't the best with the folding stock. if you decide on an ak, you should inspect it pretty thoroughly. most common problems i look for are crooked front sight & excessive magazine wobble(some is normal)

thats where using a sling properly comes in handy ;):D

I wouldnt consider the AK, in the true "battle rifle" running. i expect a battle rifle to reach out consistantly more than 300 yards. for close quarters work I will take a stock AK any day. but for longer distances it isnt gonna be stock probly unless you are a ****ing surgeon with it!

i still say AR overall. the guy that got the FAL for $500, i dont know when you bought it or what brand it is (i believe you), its just been a LONG time since i have seen a true QUALITY FAL for that. YEARS. :twocents:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What about a REMINGTON 74, 740, 742, 7400, These are semi-auto rifles that you can add a 10 round mag to & I've seen them for under $250

I, and others I know, have had bad experience with these rifles. Purely anecdotal admitantly, but they certainly are not battle proven rifles and are barely adequate as sporting rifles.

For a budget battle rifle, I would look at any of the bolt guns fielded by any of the military services in the last 100 years. The choice should be made on availability of ammo more than anything else.

A battle rifle fires a full power cartridge and does not have to be a self loading design to qualify, IMO.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I, and others I know, have had bad experience with these rifles. Purely anecdotal admitantly, but they certainly are not battle proven rifles and are barely adequate as sporting rifles.

For a budget battle rifle, I would look at any of the bolt guns fielded by any of the military services in the last 100 years. The choice should be made on availability of ammo more than anything else.

A battle rifle fires a full power cartridge and does not have to be a self loading design to qualify, IMO.

why go back in time for a first battle rifle when he has the money to move into the future and have pure joy? im not understanding your reasoning here. :dunno:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    One factor to consider is the distance over which you plan to shoot. As Ranger said, if you're planning to be under 300 yards, an intermediate cartridge is fine. If you plan to be shooting between 300 - 800 yards, you're going to need a full-size cartridge, in which case, your costs are going to go up. Since I can't see to aim past about 300 yards without a scope, an AK in 7.63 x 39 works just fine for me.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    thats where using a sling properly comes in handy ;):D

I wouldnt consider the AK, in the true "battle rifle" running. i expect a battle rifle to reach out consistantly more than 300 yards. for close quarters work I will take a stock AK any day. but for longer distances it isnt gonna be stock probly unless you are a ****ing surgeon with it!

i still say AR overall. the guy that got the FAL for $500, i dont know when you bought it or what brand it is (i believe you), its just been a LONG time since i have seen a true QUALITY FAL for that. YEARS. :twocents:

I bought my IMBEL FAL, when CENTURY ARMS were importing them.:popcorn:

Top Bottom