• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Blanton's is just a single barrel Buffalo Trace for all intents and purposes.

Way above the target price range at $350 a bottle, but the Elijah Craig 18 redefined what I would call "good bourbon".

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Can't remember the name, but there's a good bourbon out of Colorado now too....
    I haven't found this in stores: Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey (Was able to get ahold of 2 bottles though)
    I know there is a bottle or 2 that are in the stores around here from Colorado... I have not tried the stuff found locally.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Way above the target price range at $350 a bottle, but the Elijah Craig 18 redefined what I would call "good bourbon".

I've got a bottle of EC18 on my top shelf with a bottle of Booker's and a bottle of Baker's. The EC18 is open but once I had a pour the top went back on and it'll be reserved for the most special of occasions, easily the best bourbon I've had. To qualify that statement a bit I have not yet had the opportunity to put any Pappy's to my lips.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I've got a couple of bottles of Crown XR but I don't know that I could do $350 for a bottle. I'd want to open it and one drink would not be enough. That means a second bottle.
    I need to stop reading this thread!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    My wife gave me two bottles of Wild Turkey "Tribute" a few years back for my birthday. One is gone. The other I had Jimmy Russell sign for me. When the right occasion presents itself, the day I open that one up will be a good day.

harb7676

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Personally for under $50, I like Blantons a lot it is quite smooth. Makers is probably my go to. If I am going cheap Id get Evan Williams. I have heard that Willet Distillery makes good bourbons I just have not had the chance to try any.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Why is Jack Daniels considered Tn. whisky and not bourbon? What is the difference?

In order to be considered Bourbon in has to come from Kentucky...It's the Law.....

Oh...And thank you for your service to our Nation....:ingo:My Grandfather flew planes for the Marine Corps in WW2 and I think he was attached to the First Marine Division and was with VMF-222???? I am pretty sure it was 222 but I can not remember the letters other than the V....

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Actually that isn't correct about bourbon, but I'm not going to be pedantic about it. As far as Jack Daniels goes, there is a specific method of production that must be followed in order for something to be called bourbon, and Jack Daniels does not conform to that standard. There is likewise a standard for Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey, which is the classification Jack Daniels falls into.

For the curious only, location doesn't dictate the name bourbon, although it is understandable why people might think so. The "bourbon" requirement is esoteric, but without calling it out word for word, it requires distillate that contains at least 51% corn in the mash bill, of not more than a certain alcohol content to be put into new barrels that must be constructed of white oak and must be flame charred to one of several grades of charring, and then if it is to be marked with any age at all it must be aged at least 3 years and marked with the age of the youngest distillate included in the blend.

Ok, I was pedantic about it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Actually that isn't correct about bourbon, but I'm not going to be pedantic about it. As far as Jack Daniels goes, there is a specific method of production that must be followed in order for something to be called bourbon, and Jack Daniels does not conform to that standard. There is likewise a standard for Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey, which is the classification Jack Daniels falls into.

For the curious only, location doesn't dictate the name bourbon, although it is understandable why people might think so. The "bourbon" requirement is esoteric, but without calling it out word for word, it requires distillate that contains at least 51% corn in the mash bill, of not more than a certain alcohol content to be put into new barrels that must be constructed of white oak and must be flame charred to one of several grades of charring, and then if it is to be marked with any age at all it must be aged at least 3 years and marked with the age of the youngest distillate included in the blend.

Ok, I was pedantic about it.

It's my understanding that the oak from the barrels must also be from Kentucky, and that the Limestone water must be from Kentucky as well.....I know that Huber's up in the Knobs is now distilling for the Bourbon distillers but the alcohol must cross the river, be put in Kentucky charred oak barrels to be aged in Kentucky. But technically Bourbon can be distilled anywhere in the US...

[h=3]Geographic origin[edit][/h]On May 4, 1964, the United States Congress recognized bourbon whiskey as a "distinctive product of the United States". Bourbon may be produced anywhere in the United States where it is legal to distill spirits. But most brands are produced in Kentucky, where bourbon production has a strong historical association.[SUP][26][/SUP] Iron-free water that has been filtered through the high concentrations of limestone, unique to the area, is often touted by bourbon distillers in Kentucky as a signature step in the bourbon-making process.[SUP][27][/SUP]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why is Jack Daniels considered Tn. whiskey and not bourbon? What is the difference?

There was another thread here about Tennessee Whiskey (FIFY). The key difference is that TN Whiskey is filtered through maple charcoal (Lincoln Co. Process). Both are aged in new barrels and the mash is 51% corn.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    There was another thread here about Tennessee Whiskey (FIFY). The key difference is that TN Whiskey is filtered through maple charcoal (Lincoln Co. Process). Both are aged in new barrels and the mash is 51% corn.

I picked up a bottle of "Single Barrel" Jack Daniels and found it to be too harsh in taste for my liking. It is a rich dark color, I think being a single barrel product it picks up a lot more of the oak char flavor from the barrel???

I'm more of a fan of the sweet bourbons made with higher corn and lower rye or wheat ratios. Buffalo Trace makes the "Old Charter" which is 80% corn mash. One I'd like to try is a 100% corn mash bourbon from a New York micro-distiller Tuthhilltown Spirits which makes "Baby Bourbon" but I've not seen it locally.

I've never tried any of the "cask strength" bourbons like Bookers. From every expert I can find, those should be cut with a little water to open them up.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Blanton's is just a single barrel Buffalo Trace for all intents and purposes.

Not quite true. Blanton's and BT are different mash bills and aged differently. Blanton's comes from only one warehouse.

If you cant find Blanton's for under $50, try Rock Hill Farm or Elmer T Lee, these bourbon's are more similar in nature to Blanton's.

Top Bottom