• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Indy Southside
    I was lucky enough to acquire two bottles of Elmer T Lee recently, amazing bourbon for $40 bottle. Scored a bottle of Michter's 10yr today but I'll wait for a special occasion to crack that. They had one bottle of Michter's 20yr available if a $600 bottle is in your wheelhouse. :drool:

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Dug an old bottle of Jefferson's OCEAN Aged at Sea bourbon out of the back of the cabinet.

Took a small sip.

WOW I need to drink this stuff more often.

How does that compare to the Jefferson's small batch bourbon? I'm sipping that at the moment and am quite happy with it. I was looking at the ocean aged bourbon today, but went with the small batch, a bottle of IB Harper's and another of Knob Creek Rye instead.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    All Jeffersons is small batch.

I presume you mean their low priced bourbon. Honestly I don't know how that one tastes, never had it. I like Jefferson's Reserve and think its one of the best bourbons in the mid price range. But even that doesn't compare to OCEAN. A couple of the voyages have OK, some have been astoundingly good.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Indy Southside

I presume you mean their low priced bourbon. Honestly I don't know how that one tastes, never had it. I like Jefferson's Reserve and think its one of the best bourbons in the mid price range. But even that doesn't compare to OCEAN. A couple of the voyages have OK, some have been astoundingly good.
    Which voyages would you recommend? I've run across 4,7 and 8 recently. 21st Amendment has a hand picked barrel voyage 8, but they couldn't tell me anything about the flavor profile. I've seen a few bottles of cask strength too.

CharlieZulu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Worth
    If you enjoy a casker like Booker's I'd suggest picking one up now while it's still around $50. Beam Suntory is set to raise the price to over $100 after the 1st of the year. I'll skip the rant but needless to say I won't be a buyer at that price.

b079e0eb-9eb3-4d46-98ec-f8896a55e613_zps1rtaerh2.jpg

Busting Booker’s: Why The Big Price Increase Isn’t A Cool Move
    "I get asked about good value in whiskey a lot. I’ve always got a few tips for people, the bottles that may not be pricey but really deliver. The list is dwindling, though, and one of the heavy hitters just fell off late last week.
    Booker’s Bourbon, the unfiltered, uncut, and unapologetically massive bottling originally developed by Booker Noe, the revered former master distiller at Jim Beam, is surging in price and simultaneously shrinking in yearly allocation. Let me be equally unapologetic in saying that this is bad news for bourbon drinkers...."
    https://thewhiskeywash.com/bourbon/busting-bookers-why-the-big-price-increase-isnt-cool/

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Ok, I'll have to give the Ocean Aged variety a shot. It sounds pretty good

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Stopped by one of my favorite places with the wife yesterday on our way back from Franklin, TN.

D4C13502-41DF-4849-87DB-5F80C38EAEB3_zpsnurzti8j.jpg

I learned why Elijag Craig no longer offers the 12yr that they used to, I expect its for similar reasons to Booker's shooting up in price but Heaven Hill decided to go another route. Either way I found a bottle I really wanted but couldn't bring myself to purchase.

89F776DA-F2CA-40E1-87D2-0CA383DC1EA2_zpsuyibqvvv.jpg

They also had the 18yr which I've had before for $200/bottle. It is/was phenomenal but I just don't have the budget for it unfortunately. I learn a little more every time I do down there and yesterday was no exception. I ordered Bernie Lubbers book Bourbon Whiskey Our Native Spirit when I got home, I'll try to remember to post up a brief review once I get it and get it read. I also got to taste their Larceny bourbon, I expect it'll become part of my regular rotation.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A friend bought me a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean from the ship Tamerlane(Voyage #9).:rockwoot:

Now I'll wait awhile and when next we get together share a drink. It looks good!

Regards and Merry Christmas,

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Off topic, slightly.

I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to find a bottle of Cardhu single malt scotch around Christmas time.

I haven't had any in years and it used to be my favorite! Having opened the bottle and tasting it again it still ranks among one of the best drinks I've had.

Regards,

Doug

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not surprised. The bandwagon group will jump on the next "big thing" and hopefully leave the good stuff to those who have always enjoyed it.

Is whiskey becoming less popular? | Fox News

Bursting the whiskey bubble can't come soon enough for those of us who buy to drink and enjoy.

Just like 22lr ammo was being bought up and then sold at 3, 4 and even 5 times the retail price, so are whiskey traders buying for the sole purpose of re-selling at inflated prices. I refuse to support them, but they make life miserable for people who just want to enjoy a sip of some fine whiskey.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not surprised. The bandwagon group will jump on the next "big thing" and hopefully leave the good stuff to those who have always enjoyed it.

Is whiskey becoming less popular? | Fox News

Fluff journalism at it's finest, right there.

This was the only hint at a fact:
    Spruce Point Capital said whiskey’s long run as a popular drink, especially among younger drinkers and women, has attracted an over-saturation of distilleries.

So one market watcher says a market bubble is getting bigger. There's absolutely nothing to say that whiskey popularity is on the decline, more likely to be still inflating.

No, really?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The title is out of sync with the contents.

Just because the market may(?) become over-saturated does NOT mean that whisky is becoming less popular. It only means that supply is outpacing demand and that the fluff will fall into the wastebasket of the free market.

If whisky popularity is growing at 10% but supply is growing at 20% then sure, some companies will fail. However, whisky's popularity is still growing at 10%. (Numbers pulled as example only)

As with all markets there are expansions and contractions. Way too much will cause a disruption, but not for long.

Regards,

Doug

PS - Enjoying a glass of Zombie Dust right now. Very good IPA.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There are no good IPAs.

There are good Stouts but not good IPAs :oldwise:

Now hold on there Pilgrim...:nono:

There are some very fine IPA's, ya'll just have to be careful about their flavor.

Had you attacked Lambic's instead, well...:buddies:

On a side note I have searched on here and elsewhere about some sort of bourbonfest sometime in March or April that was running about $250 - $400 for VIP access to all events. All I am finding is a fest that has a $60 attendance fee.

Where is the goodun?

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom