• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I've had the Kimber Ultra, Colt Defender and am now playing with a Springfield V10 Ultra Compact. Out of the three I have found that the Colt Defender will run the most reliably. I feed it 230 gr ball for practice and 230 gr Gold dot for EDC. You do need to keep good springs in them. I replace the recoil springs at 5000 rounds.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the replies. I had seen the RIA Compact Tactical 1911, and was intrigued. The fact that no one has recommended it is concerning to say the least.

It seems of those with an actual recommendation, Colt or Kimber are the way to go. Looks like it would be wise to save up and get one of those. I have a good family friend who carries Kimbers, so maybe I'll just shoot his to keep me held over until I buy my own.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks for the replies. I had seen the RIA Compact Tactical 1911, and was intrigued. The fact that no one has recommended it is concerning to say the least.

It seems of those with an actual recommendation, Colt or Kimber are the way to go. Looks like it would be wise to save up and get one of those. I have a good family friend who carries Kimbers, so maybe I'll just shoot his to keep me held over until I buy my own.

DO NOT BUY AN RIA EVEN A FULL SIZE>

It has been stated that 1911's in that price point are a crap shoot. Especially compacts. Refer to IChoke people and others.
    RIA's are not well built guns...period. We were trying to be respectful of those who have them. I have seen/worked on many that are just crap.
    1911 ownership is not a budget/inexpensive venture. If money is the issue you may want to look in other directions.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    DO NOT BUY AN RIA EVEN A FULL SIZE>

It has been stated that 1911's in that price point are a crap shoot. Especially compacts. Refer to IChoke people and others.
    RIA's are not well built guns...period. We were trying to be respectful of those who have them. I have seen/worked on many that are just crap.
    1911 ownership is not a budget/inexpensive venture. If money is the issue you may want to look in other directions.

Quoted for truth. In my own experience and that of multiple students in classes that is what I have seen. People will come to class and their gun malfunctions. They don't understand, they say it has never done that before, in many cases it is because they have never shot 500 rounds in a day or even in the whole time they have owned the gun.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    As others have said compact 1911 performance is not equal with longer versions. I had a Para that after 700 rounds & 4 trips back to factory still was terrible...Para actually gave up & exchanged for larger, new model. I have a Kimber compact. Like the gun & enjoy shooting but has occasional feed issues regardless of remedies tried. Not terrible but not able to trust as EDC. Have commanders by Sig & S&W... no issues with either but both above your price point. Have full size Ruger SR 1911...no issues but no experience with commander. Ruger can be bought in the $600 range. Have full size S.A. RO that runs perfect as do most Springers...their new compact will be one to keep eye on. Price about 25% above your $600.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It seems like I would be better off spending the same money on a Kimber or a Colt than one of these, no?

Not necessarily. Kimbers and Colts you are paying for the name. Not bad guns and definitely not budget guns. But I don't consider them to be the best value.

Springfield Range Officer appears to be a well built, no frills 1911. I don't own own one but Churchmouse likes them and I respect his opinions regarding 1911s.

Ruger SR1911, I know a couple of 1911 guys that own and these and they seem to run well. I know that Cedartop has had problems with his SR1911 CMD. (In full disclosure Cedartop is not what I would call a 1911 guy. I am sure he will not consider this to be disrespect because he knows I hold his opinion in very high regard. But the 1911 is not his preferred platform.) The Rugers appear to be Rugers which is a rugged, value priced, working mans 1911.

The Ruger SR1911 and Springfield RO do not have series 80 firing pin blocks. Big win in my opinion.

I am a fan of the Smith & Wesson 1911s. I think they are solid guns and comparable to Colts and Kimbers in function. I do not classify them as budget guns, they will not hold there value well and they could be priced a bit more competitively. That said they are fairly tight and seem to shoot well. Purest hate the external safety but Smith seems to have this figured out.

Sigs seem to have their fan base. The slides have a different shape and this could present a problem with holsters.

1911s in general have their quirks. A person has to be willing to invest time learning the platform. Also most 1911 problems stem from bad magazines. Just because you buy the most expensive super mag does not get around this problem. To add insult to injury different guns run well with different magazine/ammo combinations. Trust me this drives the Glock guys nuts because the 1911 has no real OEM magazine. In contrast a Glock with a factory Glock mag running 115 - 124 grain ammo pretty much just works.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    It seems like I would be better off spending the same money on a Kimber or a Colt than one of these, no?

Kimber and Colt. With both you are only paying a premium for the name. I had a Kimber compact and it was a nice pistol and would run reliably as long as you fed it FMJ ammo. It choked on every HP ammo I fed it even out of Wilson Combat mags. So it was a no go as far as I was concerned as a carry gun. And for the money you only get one crappy mag and a pistol that is packed full of MIM parts.
    Definitely worth checking out the Sigs
    The Sig at least comes with two crappie mags only a few easily changed MIM parts and night sights out of the box. Seriously though Wilson Combat mags or Chip McCormick mags will be an essential upgrade to any 1911 because factory mags on most (aside from Springfield and Colt) are junk. And I think those are made by MecGar.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    [/QUOTE]Sigs seem to have their fan base. The slides have a different shape and this could present a problem with holsters.[/QUOTE]

Check out the Sig Traditional line of 1911s. No funky slide

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...In my own experience and that of multiple students in classes that is what I have seen. People will come to class and their gun malfunctions. They don't understand, they say it has never done that before, in many cases it is because they have never shot 500 rounds in a day or even in the whole time they have owned the gun.

^^^ This is my experience also. ^^^

I too was enamored by the 3" 1911. Smart shooters that I knew and trusted told me not to buy one, "They are finicky at best and ultimately unreliable." "If they do work, they don't work for long."
    I did not listen because others were reporting that their guns did run. I was blinded by what I wanted vs what was smart. I learned that a lot of good folks will never know that their gun won't run when stressed.

A few years back I bought a Kimber Ultra Carry. It's a sweet looking gun, fits well in the hand and is as accurate as my 5" guns. I train with the Ultra as a BUG in a LH holster for weak hand use. It's a real shame that I cannot actually carry it for self defense though, as it is unreliable.
    WeakHandUltra_zpsf70025d8.jpg

A few hundred rounds in classes or matches often tell a MUCH different story about reliability that some folks just never know. Combine rounds fired fast, magazines changed fast with drawing/holstering numerous times and you have a REAL test of reliability. I have never seen a 3" 1911 make it through a class or match without a malfunction, mine included.

Another interesting fact that folks don't know or realize about 3" 1911's (alloy framed anyway,) is that recoil management is difficult at best. Even with lighter target loads, most people have to reposition their support hand after each shot. That ain't fast.

Anyone want to buy an Ultra Carry with some way cool accessories? I'll make you a good deal. ;)

Last edited:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My first carry gun was a Springfield V-10 Ultra Carry. I picked it up used for <$400 at Gander Mountain. I know, I know, ported, gander mountain, it had to be junk from the start?

Actually, its always been a flawless performer. I changed all the springs in it straight away, and did polish and buff anything that gave the slightest hesitation in cycling, but its been smooth from the day I brought it home.

Maintenance and ammo selection are key to a good running mini 1911. I have been told by a few people with knowledge beyond my own that 185 gr loads give a slight margin of tolerance over the standard 230s that many people prefer.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you're set at $600, buy a Glock or a M&P.
    If you want a 1911, spend at least $1000, and get a Springfield.

That's my way of thinking.

Top Bottom