• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    A stainless loaded can be had out the door under $900. Last one I picked up was nearer $800.

I'll have to remember that. Right now, the cash I have saved is going towards an Aimpoint. But, I have been tempted to build another AR15 instead.....Although I already HAVE an 1 AR15, and no 1911.....crap.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Vert, have you found the Wilson Combat Mags (47D model) to work well in your S&W 1911's? I have two, they seem to work better than the ones that came with my 1911 from S&W. I plan on buying a few more.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    with over 5k through my Defender and only springs changed........it will eat anything.........oh i have 4.25 and 5"er's and i trust it with my life and i could tune it if need be but it don't.......

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Kimber and Colt. With both you are only paying a premium for the name. I had a Kimber compact and it was a nice pistol and would run reliably as long as you fed it FMJ ammo. It choked on every HP ammo I fed it even out of Wilson Combat mags. So it was a no go as far as I was concerned as a carry gun. And for the money you only get one crappy mag and a pistol that is packed full of MIM parts.
    Definitely worth checking out the Sigs
    The Sig at least comes with two crappie mags only a few easily changed MIM parts and night sights out of the box. Seriously though Wilson Combat mags or Chip McCormick mags will be an essential upgrade to any 1911 because factory mags on most (aside from Springfield and Colt) are junk. And I think those are made by MecGar.

i think my S&W mags that came with the gun a McCormick mags (though i am not positiver). They are okay, but I like the Combat Mags far better.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I tend to avoid budget anything. Have long believed that you get what you pay for.

That notion still has some merit, but it is becoming increasingly overplayed. In many instances, the extra money comes from added features, or extras that would make a perfectly respectable product into a top shelf option with all the bells and whistles.

One thing my dad used to tell me was to buy the middle option (whether it was cars, paint, TVs, whatever). The entry level tends to cut corners to get the price down, and therefore may have issues. The high end stuff has crap added that you may not need. Middle of the road is usually best. Of course, this doesn't apply to everything, but it is worth mentioning.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Vert, have you found the Wilson Combat Mags (47D model) to work well in your S&W 1911's? I have two, they seem to work better than the ones that came with my 1911 from S&W. I plan on buying a few more.

I own and use the Wilson ETMs at the range. My experience with these are that they are not reliable enough for carry in my PC1911. The ETM and 47Ds have the same feed lip design. The feed lips of these Wilson mags release the cartridge too soon and I get stoppage about once in 250 rounds. The factory mags that came with my gun look like CheckMate mags. The factory magazines will not feed lead wadcutters whereas the Wilson's will.

Wilson ETM or 47d for wadcuttter reloads and range use. The 47d is actually a really nice 7 round mag that you can happen to fit and 8th into. For a true 8 round mag go with the ETMs or Tripp magazines.

For carry in your SW1911 E series I would recommend you looking into the Wilson Service Mag Plus. It uses a hybrid feed lip design that seems to feed ball ammo more smoothly. It is a 7 round, flush fit magazine with a good heavy spring. Good news is they are only $20.

I have a post with pictures running around here somewhere. Let me see if I can find and link it.

Okimeister

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Look into the Rock Island line. I've got the full size and love it and for $419 it came with some nice extras. So far I've put 500 rounds down the tube without any issues and accurate right out of the box.

Top Bottom