• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have two leathermen now. One was a gift and one was purchased off ebay. One is a PST and the other a regular. The PST was the ebay purchase for less than 15 dollars.

Had a gerber multitool and loved it also. Someone liked it more while doing an install and I have it no more. I liked it when I was using the pliers alot. a quick flick of the wrist and needle nose and wire cutter/stripper.

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I have a Leatherman Supertool 300. It's nice, but a little big to carry around all the time. Other than that, I just have a Swiss army knife on me all the time. Leatherman stays in the glove box.

dascollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    I'm a multitool geek, and have a lot of models available on the market now. My favorite, after years of use is the Leatherman Wave from a bang for the buck perspective. I own three, both the first model and the more recent with the changeable bit. The Charge is also nice, although more expensive for very similar functionality.

I've found that when I buy Gerbers, I give them to friends. They're decent, but they don't feel as high quality, and if I have a Gerber and a Wave both in reach, I reach for the Wave.

The new Sidekick looks like a decent option if you want to buy two tools for your budget amount - that's a nice way to go, as you can leave one in your car and haul one around (that's why I have so many Waves!)

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I have carried a Skeletool for 3 years now and I just broke it yesterday trying to twist something with the pliers. I seem to use it every day for something and think it has the right amount of tools. Plus being a college student the bottle opener comes in very handy.

I will be sending it in today for warranty. It will be greatly missed for the couple of weeks that I will be without it. I also sent them an email asking if I could upgrade to the CX version. Will have to see what they say on that.

171945_514356858576068_2088937944_o.jpg

Any update on this?

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I know I'm going to get eatin up by this, and just as a disclaimer I too have broken many Gerber multi-tools, but my last unit issued these demo Gerbers and they seem to be built better and I have yet to break one (I have 2 thanks to your tax dollars)

667439dd4e68eee027af9c1e87357417.jpg

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've never been sorry that I got a Leatherman Surge--think I paid about $70 or so for mine and it's never let me down.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    You buy a multitool instead of a swiss army knife mainly for the pliers.

The SOG Powerlock has the best pliers.

I keep one on my batbelt at work and have used the pliers to cut chainlink fence, and even to spread interior doors.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Not sure what these multitools are going for now days but I know, they've got to be under 100 bucks.

04bc3725_funny_stuff_ugly31.jpg

You pay any more, then you are desperate......or blind. :n00b:

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Sorry for the lack of any update, sorta forgot about this post. :D

I ended up getting a Skeletool CX from Amazon.

The damn thing BROKE less than an hour out of the package (see pic below of someone else's, same thing happened to mine.)

Sent back to Leatherman, received back within a week with a new one.

Now I'm having issues with the screwdriver bits not staying securely in place.

I typically use this multiple times per day at work and don't really want to hassle with sending it back in for repair/replacement.

:rolleyes:

I have carried a Skeletool for 3 years now and I just broke it yesterday trying to twist something with the pliers. I seem to use it every day for something and think it has the right amount of tools. Plus being a college student the bottle opener comes in very handy.

I will be sending it in today for warranty. It will be greatly missed for the couple of weeks that I will be without it. I also sent them an email asking if I could upgrade to the CX version. Will have to see what they say on that.

171945_514356858576068_2088937944_o.jpg

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    The damn thing BROKE less than an hour out of the package (see pic below of someone else's, same thing happened to mine.)
    Sent back to Leatherman, received back within a week with a new one.
    Now I'm having issues with the screwdriver bits not staying securely in place.
    :rolleyes:

A pocket multitool, especially one under $100, is meant for light/medium duty. If you require something out of your pliers that is demanding enough to break them, you need to get a real tool for the job, or a much more expensive, beefier, full size multitool.

As far as the driver bits, are you getting them in all the way? Is the spring release latch working properly? They should very clearly snap into the end and the catch should bite down on the notch in the center of the bit.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I've had my wave for about 12 years now and it still rocks! I've put it through some hard use as a remodel contractor and it has defiantly saved my butt a time or two. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the wave again.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    I have a Leatherman Super Tool 300. The only issue I have with it is the weight. Too heavy and too big for pocket carry. It is best to carry it on a belt. That being said, it's a keeper!

picture.php

rriggs92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    just bought a gerber diesel last week, i love it so far just wish i had more things to do to use it for:(

Top Bottom