• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    For you Leatherman users, have you switched pouches? Is there someone that makes a leather case for it? And how about those additional bits? Do they fit in the case?

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Not sure what model my SOG is but it is the first and the best multitool I have. I have a Leatherman wave, its ok don't like the feal of it. I have a couple of small gerbers that I like better than the leatherman. I have used the sog for many small repairs and lots of triming trebel hooks on rapalas to run more snag free. SOG has lifetime warranty, I have used and abused my sog and it just keeps going.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Unless Gerber quality has improved in the last decade, I would recommend other brands. in my experience, Gerbers are made of soft, low-grade steel. Try to cut some really hard wire with the wire cutters and watch a huge gauge be put in them. That's unacceptable to me.

The Leatherman Wave I have now is the best of the three multitools I've had (a gerber from the 1990s, and a SOG Paratool from the early 2000s). I have had this one almost a decade.

There's still no corrosion on it, though it has received no special care to prevent such. The tools are hard enough that they don't take dings and scratches easily, and the blades hold an edge pretty well.

I like SOG stuff, but I think the Wave is a better tool than my Paratool was.

Disclaimer: I haven't looked at multitools in about 7 years, so my references are dated. (of course, most newer products are likely to be cheaper/lower grade).

JH

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Leatherman Wave is hard to beat. Mine rides in a bag that goes back and forth from my car to home. Charge tti is a better tool but for the price it's hard to beat the wave. The Wave is a bit big to carry in a pocket though. I do sometimes.

Juice CS2. This is my daily carry at work and most any day off as well. It it pure awesome.

I have a MUTT in my car attached to a small bag for special occasions. It's pretty cool but heavy and not the most practical.

I just recently got a Squirt PS4. It's for backpacking or a smaller daily carry. It packs a lot (scissors and pliers) in to a timy package.

I like them all. It really depends on what you're wanting to do with one though. The big ones are just kinda big to wear every day.

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    I have a SOG that stays strapped to my pack. It was just over 100.00 buck and I really like it. My everyday multi-tool is a Victronix, I like it because it is about half the width of the SOG.

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    I am going to have to go with SOG Power Lock. I have an older one and it is quite amazing. You can find them at Lowes for around $60 and using Amazon or SOG's website you can buy tools and essentially make the tool however you want.

Mine contains add-on wire strippers, and I replaced the older file with the new one (that comes standard now) with built in large flat head on top, and I bought a nylon sheath that fits the SOG bit adapter set so I have 11 bits and a 1/4" nut driver.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Leatherman Sidekick or Wingman, both models are around $50 I think.

wingman3.JPG

Wingman can be had sometimes for ~25$ BUT the wire cutters are nasty. Go with the Juice XE6 or other model. Better parts I feel. Still clocks in at arounf 60$ well worth the price. Wingman is only really a backup, but it does have a built in pocket clip that is super nice

Top Bottom