• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    This thread has actually got me looking at the vision grills. I'm going to see if they go on sale at the end of the season. If they do, I think I'm going to snag one.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Red bag RO and BGE Lump are the same except for the size of the pieces, BGE, gets a larger piece size and less "crumbs" in their bags unless it gets beat up in shipping and handling. naked whiz has the breakdown on just about every lump you can find here in the us. RO makes lump for about 20 different brands. The steakhouse blend (green bag at Menards) is no longer called steakhouse and IMO is slightly different than it was when it said steakhouse on the bag. I haven't noticed any difference (other than price) between red and green bag now. Just watch the crap that comes from mexico, some of it has other unidentifiable pieces in it, including pallet and asbestos

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    So what is the best fuel?

Lump burns hotter and cleaner, but can be a bit inconsistent. Brickettes are very consistent and burn a bit longer, but they can be smokey and some of them (most the cheapo/generic brands) can be add an unpleasant sooty flavor to the food. For burgers and dogs, I'll use Kingsford "blue bag" brickettes. Anything else, I use Royal Oak "red bag" lump.

EDIT: My statements are on charcoal in general, I don't cook on a BGE. I use a Weber Kettle and a UDS.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Why? Is this egg-snobbery, or is there a legitimate reason?
    One of the chemicals in there permeates the ceramic and you will never get it out. I know BGE is very specific about it in their video/manuals and I thought someone told me Komado Joe was too. Supposedly gives off the taste in whatever you cook. Not having it in front of me, I believe they will deny warranty on parts.
    Youll never know, kettle boy.
    LMAO, that made me LOL

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    One of the chemicals in there permeates the ceramic and you will never get it out. I know BGE is very specific about it in their video/manuals and I thought someone told me Komado Joe was too. Supposedly gives off the taste in whatever you cook. Not having it in front of me, I believe they will deny warranty on parts.

Gotchya thanks. :yesway:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    As far as the best, there's a ton out there and really a matter of preference. Some you just can't get here unless you place a bulk order and whatnot. That said, RO red or green bags have never let me down. Menards has green bag year round and when they do their sales you can get it for less than $5 a bag. I honestly go through 40-50 8.8lb bags of lump a year so when I catch the sale I usually grab around 20 bags. Not all walmarts carry charcoal (or at least the red bag RO) year round. IMO, there's no difference now between the green bag (the new relabeled) and red bag except you find an occasional piece of brick or stone in the green bag and I have yet to find one in any red bag stuff. I do numerous overnight cooks and have never had either let me down even at 18+ hours

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    When you do a long cook like 18 hours or more, how much charcoal do you use in an egg for that kind of time?
    If I know my next cook will be a long one I try to burn off as much as possible. I fill the bowl just above the rim into the fire ring height and add in my smoking wood. For my large it's usually just shy of a full bag on the XL it's a full bag. I like to error on the side of caution and in either case it's more than enough. My last 18 on the XL there was probably enough to go another 8 hours. Obviously in the dead of winter you consume more fuel but it's always enough. I will say that if you use a lump that produces more ash, the large seems to have a harder time with it falling through to the bottom so during a longer cook I will go out at some point and just stick the ash tool down the side and knock the coals around to get the ash falling. I know some guys have oversized the holes in the fire grate for that reason.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Phylo, if you don't mind, could you share with me the size of the hole in the table you built for your egg? I assume it's a large egg. I am considering not buying the nest and shelf and building a table similar to the one you built. Cost should be approximately the same either way, I just don't want to get the nest and shelves and then wishing I had just built the table.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I built mine for my large from the plans on nakedwhiz.com I am pretty sure it's 21" but there is also a height you are setting that at.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Yeah was wondering how high the shelf needed to be from the top, and also what the egg will rest on... I will google some plans, though I already have a mental image of how I want it to look.

Top Bottom