• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I have cooked on a Large BGE for 11 years and am very pleased with the results. I don't find it particularly difficult to run.

Before the Egg, I cooked on Webers and some gas grills, even a Dukane just before the Egg. I don't see how a person could smoke meat on the typical gas grills and charcoal grills. They burn through too much charcoal and don't retain moisture like the ceramic grills. That's what I see as one of the key ceramic grill/smoker strengths; they produce meat that is much more juicy than the typical charcoal grill.

OP, you asked about what size to get. I've cooked on the Large and been very happy with it for groups up to about 15 people. When we've hosted larger groups, I have to cook some things ahead and warm them in the oven. There have been a few times I wish I had had an XL.

Good luck with whatever you choose for yourself! :yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have cooked on a Large BGE for 11 years and am very pleased with the results. I don't find it particularly difficult to run.

Before the Egg, I cooked on Webers and some gas grills, even a Dukane just before the Egg. I don't see how a person could smoke meat on the typical gas grills and charcoal grills. They burn through too much charcoal and don't retain moisture like the ceramic grills. That's what I see as one of the key ceramic grill/smoker strengths; they produce meat that is much more juicy than the typical charcoal grill.

OP, you asked about what size to get. I've cooked on the Large and been very happy with it for groups up to about 15 people. When we've hosted larger groups, I have to cook some things ahead and warm them in the oven. There have been a few times I wish I had had an XL.

Good luck with whatever you choose for yourself! :yesway:

I have sampled your.......cooking...:):

It is memorable.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm going to smoke a pork shoulder tomorrow and maybe a brisket next weekend. I need brisket practice, it's one thing I can't seem to get right.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I love my BGE but I don't consider it capable of feats other ceramic Kamados aren't. My BGE has served me very, very well and I have never regretted the purchase in the least. I used a Weber kettle for many years and have had a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker, Brinkman offset smoker and a horizontal barrel type smoker and none of them came close to the versatility of my BGE. As mentioned upthread you can grill, smoke, seare and bake with it regardless of the weather. Wind does not affect it and cold temperatures have a very slight impact on fuel consumption.

As as far as it being a pain to use, that is 100% subjective. My best friend in the world considers food a necessary evil and would use a boot heel to stir his scrambled eggs if it was handy. He eats his food so fast he barely tastes it and therefore can't tell you the difference between good food and mediocre. This is 100% opposite of me. I look for the smallest adjustments in indgrediemts or technique to perfect my cooking and have become extremely particular in my preferences. I don't feel it takes much effort to make a decent meal extraordinary but I enjoy the process and artistry of cooking. Those who don't find a chuck of ground beef slapped on a gas grill and cooked until brown throughout to be just fine.

If you enjoy cooking and have an appreciation for good food I don't think you would regret investing in a ceramic Kamado style cooker. There are several which will perform nicely, the Primo and Grilla come to mind. If you're a "foodie" they are well worth the investment and effort.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    In fact, I'd say it's less of a pain in the ass especially when used in the slow cooking mode. You can get 20+ hours on one load of charcoal and don't need to open it up or add fuel until the meat is done. There aren't any other smokers that can claim that that aren't electric or gas fueled.

My bro in law's can get at least close to that. The company states 8-12 hrs smoking time but that is with the standard insulation not the upgraded.
    https://www.backwoods-smoker.com/collections/frontpage/products/party

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That Backwoods looks like a great option for a dedicated smoker but I doesn't appear to be capable of searing, baking or grilling. I don't think the ceramic kamado cookers are the best smokers around, a true wood burner is very hard to beat. I am convinced however that they offer the best all around option out there. From 20+ hour low & slow cooks at 225* to baking pizzas at 500* to searing steaks at 750*+ I just haven't seen anything that comes close in versatility.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That Backwoods looks like a great option for a dedicated smoker but I doesn't appear to be capable of searing, baking or grilling. I don't think the ceramic kamado cookers are the best smokers around, a true wood burner is very hard to beat. I am convinced however that they offer the best all around option out there. From 20+ hour low & slow cooks at 225* to baking pizzas at 500* to searing steaks at 750*+ I just haven't seen anything that comes close in versatility.

I can agree with that. It is a nice dedicated smoker, but that is about it. He also has a BGE for the rest.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Never tried mine for grilling or searing, might have to do that. Use a cast iron Hibachi for grilling, there is usually just the 2 of us.

Last tornado/windstorm destroyed the gas grill and tipped over my Visions smoker-cracked the inside pot. Insurance wouldn't cover replacement so have to find one somewhere.

Don

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    All my co workers (well almost all) have a BGE. I have a few webers and a Smoky ridge smoker and in the spring and summer can make some of the same items they make almost as well as they can. What they get is the ability to set it and forget it (tv ad slogan ) where I have to constantly be checking the temps adding coals trimming down the vents trimming up the vents opening up the lids or doors and moving the items around. Where they are making nice cocktails and watching sports. Plus I have had pizza's and shrimp on a salt block and steak on a granite block that my stuff could never do. So the BGE or equivalent is far superior to my setups. In the winter and fall when the temps drop or rain and snow happens I am out and they are still cooking well. Even wrapping my box cooker in insulation blanket did not work as the temp could. It be kept low enough to allow the smoke to get in the meat And then the top temps to finish off were not reachable either and had to finish in the oven. Plus I have to use brick charcoal and they can use the more natural chunks.

If if you have the need and the cash they work so well. Custom made stands and shelves seem to be the way to go also. And if you know a local metal worker they can copy the stands and such easy enough and will most likely exchange that labor and material for food. The egg stuff is where they get you. They best setup of them is an outdoor kitchen it has the BGE a nice propane grill about 2x3 feet and two burners in a long custom bench with storage for all the odds and ends. That propane grill is great as his wife was a short order cook for years and her breakfast is to die for. She also does a Bloody Mary bar that is the best thing I have ever tasted and not a huge Bloody Mary fan. Nice to start right after breakfast.

To to impress when I go over I have to bring the Dutch oven and cook something in it. They vastly out cook me on the BGE items. They have never done much with the Dutch ovens. The guy with the best setup now has a plan to add a Dutch oven area on the counter and has purchased three sizes of Dutch ovens.

Get it take a few classes. Then experiment with breaking the skin off the turkeys and injections act. , you will not be disappointed

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The other Ceramic Egg style cookers mentioned upthread work as well. Primo makes a great product, almost went with one over the Egg, stay away from the Lowe's variety, as they are thinner Ceramic, and don't hold heat as well. I checked out Costco version, and it seems well built, and nearly as heavy as an Egg. A buddy has the Lowe's version, and says it doesn't perform half as well as the Egg as far as fuel consumption, and heat retention. I'm not an Egg cultist, I've built my opinion based on years of experimentation, currently my backyard has the BGE, two Traeger pellet grills, two Brinkmann offset smokers, a Brinkmann bullet smoker, and a camp chef two burner thing-a-magigy. I use the Egg more than all of them combined. The Traegers have been sidelined to pretty much warming ovens for large events, and the Brinkmann offsets are collecting dust/rust, the bullet goes camping.

ETA: I guess since I've pretty much got two of each, I may need another Egg to even out the Noah effect?

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have a Brinkman offset, a large webber and a small webber. If the food got any better I would eat myself to death.

You guys are as ate up with cooking as I am with my hobby/passions.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    We have a Brinkman offset, a large webber and a small webber. If the food got any better I would eat myself to death.

You guys are as ate up with cooking as I am with my hobby/passions.
    At least cooking is a little cheaper than guns? I can feed 30 people for about $60 and no one leaves hungry. That won't feed my Glocks or AR's for more than an hour?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At least cooking is a little cheaper than guns? I can feed 30 people for about $60 and no one leaves hungry. That won't feed my Glocks or AR's for more than an hour?

The daughter/her significant other and the spouse do all the cooking around here. I eat well. The waist line shows it.

Yes, cooking/eating is not as spendy as feeding the guns. Especially if my crew is running them.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My grill is an appliance...it's a propane powered Weber that I have had for 8 years now. It doesn't smoke, cook pizza, or do well as a warming tray....but it burns up a hot dog or a brat like no ones business and that's what we like. It'll cook a mean burger and do wonders to a whole pork loin...but smoker it ain't.

Some would say this isn't even a real grill.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I have been using my large BGE for 7 years on a weekly basis, year round.

As mentioned up up thread there are 2 main reasons I am a devout BGE user.

1. Versatility. Yes you can produce good smoked meats on kettles, drums, offset smokers, etc. But how many of those can be used the next day to cook home made pizza at 600+ degrees in 5 minutes? How about doing high temp steak searing? It is a incredibly versatile cooker...it is not merely another "smoker."

2. Warranty. LIFETIME warranty on the whole thing. I have had multiple parts fail from heavy use (namely the internal ceramic fire ring and fire box both cracked and the bottom fire grate finally broke ). A call to my local BGE dealer (Chef JJs in Broadripple....awesome place btw) and proof of my original purchase (keep your receipt) and he ordered me brand new parts.

Yes, the up front cost is expensive but as with most things in life you get what you pay for. I will never EVER have to purchase another smoker/grill again. How long do typical grills last? 5 years maybe?

One other tip..if I was to buy one now I'd wait for a local "Eggfest" and buy one used. They take brand new eggs and use them for a demo day where folks cook tons of great food. You can reserve purchase one of these demo models at a nice discount over brand new and they've essentially been used for 1 weekend.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    While I don't own one, you'll never hear me discourage anyone from getting an egg. While they are out of my price range, they do offer a versatility you really just don't see anywhere else in one cooker.

I build UDS smokers as a hobby and while they will certainly do low and slow just as well as an egg, I will always use much more fuel and be much more sensitive to external temperatures. The way I build them, you can also run them up to around 600° for pizzas and I do so not infrequently. That said, it is really hard on the internal parts and you often end up having to replace things if you run them at high temps consistently. You also have to worry about zinc and some other metals starting to melt near the coals at those temperatures. You certainly wouldn't want to get anywhere near the 1200° an egg can do.

Top Bottom